Just to clear the air...

TSiGuy17

I sold my 1989 MPI Conquest a year ago to infamos for $4500. He paid me through paypal via his credit card before ever seeing the car (I'm in WA, he's in CO). When he finally flew up to get the car, I still had his money in my paypal account. I wanted to make sure he liked the car and still wanted it after seeing it in person. We started by doing a walk-around where I explained to him all the mods I've done, all the bugs that I've had, what I had done to fix them and how the car has been holding up for me. After that we went on a short test drive. We drove approximately a mile and during that short drive, infamos put that car through more abuse than I did all the years I owned it. He was grinding gears, and revving it to the ceiling to keep from killing the engine. He went on to tell me about how he has a fast GTX, a Supra and another Conquest/Starion, however, I wasn't sure if he was telling the truth; he drove my car as if he had never driven anything with any sort of power before. Also, he was very excited about how fast my car was and went on to tell me that he didn't have anything that fast.

Anyways... He liked the car and wanted to follow through with purchasing it so we wrote up a bill of sale, loaded up the spare parts and I gave him some directions on getting home. Along the way home he contacted me via text explaining that he was having trouble starting the car. I explained to infamos during the walk-around that I had similar problems in the past and told him how I tried fixing it and that the fix seemed to take care of it since the car had been starting fine for me. He said that the car wouldn't start, but if he got a push start the car would run great all the way up until he shut it off and had to start it again.

That was the last I heard from him for a day until he contacted me saying that he pulled into a shop somewhere along the way. According to him, the mechanic at the shop told him the reason the car wouldn't start with the turn of the key was because the engine was "about to seize". That's all I heard until later that day when he said that in Rock Springs Wyoming the engine blew and he would need to get it towed the rest of the way.

Next thing I know I get word from paypal saying that the buyer has filed a dispute and a charge-back, requesting a full refund. I was able to dispute the chargeback and give my side of the story, however, paypal doesn't get to decide whether or not the buyer gets a refund, the credit card company does. So come to find out just recently, his credit card company sided with him (now I hear that 9 times out of 10 they give the refund regardless of the situation) and I have a collection agency after me for $4500.

I have a real problem with that. And on top of it, when I disputed the charge-back, paypal gave me the option to have the buyer return the vehicle in the case that the credit card company gave him the refund... Well he has his refund.. Where's the car??? I called paypal to ask them how I get the car back and paypal said all they could do is contact the credit card company and ask them to please remind the buyer to please return it to me.

Lawyer up. That's all I really have to say about it.

-Ryan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch.....

My various business endeavors over the years has taught me that the CC company will ALWAYS side with the cardholder until the dust settles and they can sift through all the minute details... They snatch the funds out of your bank account immediately and then only return them after hearing both sides of the story in painful elaborate detail..

Best of luck with this

Thats not clearing the air, thats a horror story. I take it nothing was signed selling the car as-is with no warranty expressed or implyed.... or how about any title work thru the DMV? It never ceases to amaze me kind of crap people will pull. Its a used car... period, you buy it you own it.

Plus when dealing with that amount of money, never doing anything but cash, or a bank check. I feel bad you had to learn such a hard lesson at such a you age. Chalk it up to your much wiser now in how much you can trust people you dont know on a personal level.

wow. thats not right. i hope you guys can settle this like gentlemen.

It seems to me the gentleman aspect has been thrown out the window long ago

Plus when dealing with that amount of money, never doing anything but cash, or a bank check. I feel bad you had to learn such a hard lesson at such a you age. Chalk it up to your much wiser now in how much you can trust people you dont know on a personal level.

You can't even trust people you know in this day and age. NEVER rent or sell to family or friends ether.

I had the same thing happen to me. Through our wrecking yard business we sold a Suburban to a customer. He paid $5000 in credit card $300 in cash. He waited 60 days to dispute the charges.

Because we were a vendor, merchant services had direct access to our bank. They took $5000 out our of bank account. No warning to us.

Even after providing proof, copy of his license, a carbon copy of his credit card, bill of sale etc., credit card company still sided with the thief. He disputed that he was not satisfied with the vehicle and that was good enough for the credit card company.

Lesson learned, we ripped out the credit card machine threw it out in the street and told merchant services to $/@:!; themselves.

You're gonna need to take this to a small claims court, counter sue him for the same amount and more, adding your time off work, court filings, and damages incurred such as the ding on your credit report.

yep cash makes honest buyers,, don't help to make honest sellers tho :(

are you willing and able to go get your car,, you know he'll never return it on his own and if he does there'll be all sorts of stuff wrong that you have no way of proveing wasn't already wrong or missing

If I was selling my car, and a prospective buyer revved it that high on a test drive, I would tell him to pull it over and park it. Then, I would give him a verbal lesson on the Stock red line for a G54B....After that, I would drive him back to the house and tell him that I wouldn't sell him a lawnmower.....let alone my Starquest ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I think he's got lots of toys. I'd get over there and make him regret it!

Someone get this guy over here and make things right. s*** like this don't work in NYC!

That's too bad.... People are such xxxholes. I deal with charge backs all the time and it's such b/s. The damn credit card companies.

Ok here is my reply. Too long of a story to tell so I will deliver the facts. I don't believe in this type of communication but here it is:

The car was advertised on craigslist. The first time I met the seller is when I flew in.

After the car failed I did some research and found out that this car had issues before it was sold. The following thread proves that. This car had metal shavings in the oil and had low compression.

http://www.starquest...topic=93914&hl=

The motor had trouble starting before. I was informed by the owner that the starter and ignition were replaced trying to overcome the problem. I have the texts saved.

According to the mechanics in Wyoming (the Mormon side), the mechanic shop where the car is stored and the internet, a symptom of a seized motor is that it won’t start. I have the diagnosis invoices.

I purchased five cars out of state which four I drove home and only had problems with this one. One car being a 1987 Conquest from Nashville Tennessee, as I had already owned two SQs before this transaction. I was literally praying that the car in question would make it home ok. I drove the speed limit all the way until it stauled. I had to keep the car started a couple of times while putting in gas. I had to call AAA roadside assistance three times and the last time the car was towed to a shop in Rock Springs Wy. I would have left there but needed the car as evidence.

When performing the test drive the owner mentioned that he put in a racing clutch and that it was touchy. In order to keep the car started I had to give it gas but never redlined the motor. The owner said the only leak was a power steering leak ( have the proof ). The car was leaking oil, I had to top it off every stop. The oil was leaking enough for the AAA service man to mention it.

I asked the owner many questions prior and I compiled the questions and answers and sent them off in an email as proof of our discussion.

The car hasn’t been registered and the car is being stored as evidence in which I’m paying storage fees.

If I were ever to sell a car it will have no issues and if there is any issues I would disclose that information.

This ordeal cost me a lot. Air ticket, transporting the vehicle, gas in both directions, car rental, motel and five days of work.

Edited by infamos