teflon tape,liquid sealant or nothing

DMNDSTAR87

• 1 year later...
Sorry to bring this back from the underworld but my dad mentioned to me today about how Teflon tape will melt under the high temperatures of an engine bay, or a radiator, as we were speaking of. Problem now is I used Teflon tape on both my turbo oil feed, and ABS delete line. Please tell me I'll be fine (Unless I won't be, in which case do not refrain from telling me so)
  • Like 1

Yes. Fuel and oil will get passed the tape.

woooh wooh wooh..... I have never used tape or sealer on any type of fuel or oil lines. I always just got proper fittings and lines for fuel or oil applications.

Older turbo oil feed/drain flanges come NPT and some companies still use NPT on fuel rails. I dont know why you would use them but they are out there. Ive seen lots of teflon on those types of fittings Edited by RonnieJ

Problem now is I used Teflon tape on both my turbo oil feed, and ABS delete line. Please tell me I'll be fine (Unless I won't be, in which case do not refrain from telling me so)

Here's where 1, you don't have to do anything. And 2, facepalm.

Brake lines and the stock turbo hard line are COMPRESSION fittings. Aftermarket AN fittings are also compression fittings. The threads do not seal the fitting. The corresponding cone shapes do the sealing. Teflon tape or any other thread sealer will do absolutely nothing to seal those fittings. Teflon tape will however make you look foolish to anyone who knows what they are looking at. The turbo hardline adapters at each end seal with a copper crush washer not the threads so you shouldn't use teflon tape there either..

You must be super careful with teflon tape and oil fittings. Any tape that gets into the oil passages can mess up bearing clearances and hurt bearings. Also if you ever remove said fitting you must pick out all the used teflon tape from the threads before putting it back together.

Yes. Fuel and oil will get passed the tape.

No it wont.

If you didn't put it together right then it will leak but it's not the tape's fault. I've used teflon tape on fuel, oil and water lines for decades with zero issues.

If seen them leak on both through the tape over time. Who's know they could have been installed incorrectly but wasn't my car. I prefer AN and O-ring over NPT.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's where 1, you don't have to do anything. And 2, facepalm.

Brake lines and the stock turbo hard line are COMPRESSION fittings. Aftermarket AN fittings are also compression fittings. The threads do not seal the fitting. The corresponding cone shapes do the sealing. Teflon tape or any other thread sealer will do absolutely nothing to seal those fittings. Teflon tape will however make you look foolish to anyone who knows what they are looking at. The turbo hardline adapters at each end seal with a copper crush washer not the threads so you shouldn't use teflon tape there either..

You must be super careful with teflon tape and oil fittings. Any tape that gets into the oil passages can mess up bearing clearances and hurt bearings. Also if you ever remove said fitting you must pick out all the used teflon tape from the threads before putting it back together.

Great write up Jeff! :)

Another place that I have seen people use teflon tape is on the radiator thermosensors' threads in the rad's bottom pan. The thermosensors have an oring which compresses/seals onto it's bung's flat mating surface. You just have to make sure that the oring isn't dinged (lube it with dielectric grease) and that the bung's mating sealing surface is clean. I use just a little Copper Neverseize on the rad thermosensor threads and the intake manifold sensors threads.

I use a little Molybdenum Neverseize on all of the brake system's compression fittings threads, the turbo coolant banjo fittings' threads & turbo oil feed line compression fitting threads.

Using the Neverseize makes it SO much easier to break the fittings/sensors loose - especially on the brake system. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

• 3 weeks later...
I use teflon tape on pipe threaded fittings, even fuel. I have tried the liquid stuff once and it failed quickly on my FPR, since I taped the fittings they are dry as a bone with no leaks.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, no, it isn't 'safe' to use Teflon tape on compression fittings, and it will most likely leak and especially if the tape disintegrates. Compression fittings are a straight thread and require the threads to simply pull the compression tighter to seal the fitting. The tape is preventing a good seal due to the threads will not draw the compression down as far as without tape. GET IT OUT OF THERE! Especially your brake line fittings.

Pipe thread (tapered)uses the threads to seal the fitting, so you must use some type of sealer on them. There is a really good teflon dope that seals very well too and has a higher temperature rating.