Moderators

IntercooledFlatty

This thread is a good crossection to see who should be the next moderator/administrator. Those who jump in and swing their garden hoses all over everyone and act like its someone else's fault can be the next mods. HAHAHA no no sorry that's wrong .... but seriously this is the sort of thing that sucks our attention on this site when we should be doing write ups or picture shares and other cool stuff.

Sharing my experience here, for what it's worth. I don't present this with the intent to stir up anything more, engage in a pissing contest, or assert that my perspective is THE correct one. It is only mine and mine alone:

I stopped frequenting this site often because I deal with mental health issues all day every day for a living, and coming here over the past year or so seems to just add more exposure to unnecessary conflict in my life. There has been a pattern of selecting one person on the boards and then repeatedly attacking that person over and over in the name of "just having fun". Once that person is gone it doesnt take too long until another target is identified and that person experiences the same thing. Even though I personally have no stake in the conflicts and dont disagree with the concept that those people often do stuff to bring it upon themselves, I don't find enjoyment in my relaxation time having to wade through the dramatic fecal posts to find what I used to like about the site. When I have made comments in the past to suggest this behavior was distracting and destructive, replies to the effect of "stop being so sensitive" would come up. For me, it's not about being sensitive, it's about having better things to do with my life than spend my leisure time reading other people dogging on each other and fighting all the time. My life is worth more than that to me. So now I rarely log on here unless I have buy/sell transactions in the works and I contribute to the forums in a meaningful way much less than I liked to do in the past.

I wonder how many others just leave quietly because they dont care for the crap that goes on because people can't seem to be decent to each other around here so often. I think Niko models a prime example of how to be positive and encourage an active board and we could all learn from him around here.

Averse you and those like are the reason me and many others have spent an untold number of hours

trying to create , over 15 years is a long time , I am certainly not claiming all the credit for

the way the site has matured into one if not the finest car forums on the internet , but I can see my

influence in many forums , and I feel like a child of mine that has matured into a fine example of a

man and proud to say it I had a part it how it grew

and possible the best part ,, meeting 100's of wonderful and great people from all over the world

that in itself makes all those thousands of hours worth every minute

Its been so long since we have had this type of a pissing match.

why stop now?

Come on......you guys can do better than this!!

Forget the garden hose.......get the fire hose.

Get mad :angry:

I hate having to click 3 times to get a smiley face!!!!....why cant they all pop up with one click?

Why is there not a MOD fixing that???

Im Done not never coming back again.

After I ship a couple parts of course.....then I'll try to sell the rest of my starquest crap.....after that......IM done man....done with this place......maybe...I dont know.

I hate myself now.....too many people inside my head to argue with.......BRB

I'll speak for everyone in saying that every body enjoys a good golden shower once in awhile. It brings us closer! Nothing makes people happier or consumes more of their miserable work day better than a little SQC in the morning! Don't make me get a FB to express myself!!!- Please! I've only taken one selfie and do apologize for any harm that my ugly mug has caused :P I've no interest in joining some social media giant to freely put my .02 cents in. Maybe we can ask Ryddler if He can start another forum that requires peoples to be 21 and over and sign permission slips?? Call it, "The straight BS section". MODS, I respect you for what you do. With that being said, Harry, get your game on! You've originated some great threads in the past. Let's get another one going. Jokes, riddles, printable coloring books, ect. G-Rated of course :D

Its been so long since we have had this type of a pissing match.

why stop now?

Come on......you guys can do better than this!!

Forget the garden hose.......get the fire hose.

Get mad :angry:

I hate having to click 3 times to get a smiley face!!!!....why cant they all pop up with one click?

Why is there not a MOD fixing that???

Im Done not never coming back again.

After I ship a couple parts of course.....then I'll try to sell the rest of my starquest crap.....after that......IM done man....done with this place......maybe...I dont know.

I hate myself now.....too many people inside my head to argue with.......BRB

I see what you done did there.

Man this thread really blongs in the b.s. Section. Its full of some serious b.s.

I dont get what the deal is w owning a sq. Sure it may keep you closer to the community in some manner of thinking, but how about the person who owned a sq for 20 years and doesnt at the moment, but seriously has a true love for them and this community.

When i first got involved with sq's, i had no idea i was getting a extended family out of the deal. Ive made lots of great friends and learned many things that i might not have if i didnt get involved with the club. I now feel like i can travel to about anywhere in the u.s. And if i needed help ive got a second family that would help or be glad to visit for a while. Thats not something you fi d just everywhere and is one of the largest things that keep me on this site.

Lets face it, our cars are somewhat delapidated due to age and while they are fun, they are not very fast by todays standards. If i was here for the cars, i would have left long ago. So how does someone owning one of these slow, old, ancient technology cars have a bearing on his love for the community? Sounds sort of closed mi ded to me.

Jimmy, Feel better my friend. You will be in my prayers.

The rest of this thread is OPINIONS. Don't get upset if you don't agree with someone else's, as they likely wont agree with your's.

Be patient and understanding with each other and the moderators wont have to moderate at all. It takes a lot more than knowledge and years of SQ experience to be a mod on these forums. From what I have witnessed by some of our best mods, it takes open mindedness, patience, the unique ability to be able you read something, and judge what you are reading as "acceptable" or "unacceptable" per the rules of this site as they are set by Ryddler, without letting personal feelings enter into their judgment. "Most" of our mods are very good at all of this and have all of the traits I have just listed.

Jimmy is a prime example. I can count on one hand how many times I have seen him lose his patience with any number of us constantly bickering and being at each other. I hate (selfishly) that he is feeling bad, because he has become a constant voice of reason around here and his absence has made it more difficult for the other level headed Mods to keep track of everything without his help. Taz is another great mod, that keeps things moving and cleaned up when needed behind the scenes.

However, things have been much better since the steps were taken to decrease the drama awhile back. Moderators and Admin, thank you for making that tough decision, the community has benefitted from it, and become a much more peaceful place.

I don't know if we need more moderators or not. That is something for them to decide and choose. They will be the people having to work together, so it is really all their decision who they want to work with.

BC_99

Being a mod and not owning a SQ gets you guys EVERY TIME , NEVER FAILS , y'all should have learned that one last time i used it i truly don't give a rats a** if you do or not , anyway game over and laterz SQC . Edited by JAinsworth

Being a mod and not owning a SQ gets you guys EVERY TIME , NEVER FAILS , y'all should have learned that one last time i used it i truly don't give a rats asss if you do or not , anyway game over and laterz SQC .

Scotty, Just because I don't own one doesn't mean I don't care about both the cars and the community. Are you saying I should remove myself as an Administrator just because I'm no longer able to work on cars even though I feel I help SQC as a whole? Put up a poll, if I get voted out, I'm gone.

Jimmy

Owning a SQ to be an admin is short sighted, imo. Its like having a broken arm and going to a doctor and insisting you see a doctor that has a broken arm versus seeing a doctor that knows how to treat a broken arm. It's even worse that that similie because what it takes to be a good moderator actually has NOTHING to do with owning or fixing these cars and more to do with knowing how to herd cats. Edited by averse

Owning a SQ to be an admin is short sighted, imo. Its like having a broken arm and going to a doctor and insisting you see a doctor that has a broken arm versus seeing a doctor that knows how to treat a broken arm. It's even worse that that similie because what it takes to be a good moderator actually has NOTHING to do with owning or fixing these cars and more to do with knowing how to herd cats.

Bravo, now this discussion has perspective

Owning a SQ to be an admin is short sighted, imo. Its like having a broken arm and going to a doctor and insisting you see a doctor that has a broken arm versus seeing a doctor that knows how to treat a broken arm. It's even worse that that similie because what it takes to be a good moderator actually has NOTHING to do with owning or fixing these cars and more to do with knowing how to herd cats.

I used to HAVE to herd cats....man I know what you mean.

If you first fall in love with a girl...thats an animal lover....You need a big enough house for the animals.

I had a zoo here at the Caudill ranch for quite a while.

We had: Rabbit,turtles,fish,crab,birds,dogs, and of course them stinky nasty kitty cats!!!!

Yep herded them things right out.......we are down to a dog and a bird...Thats enough for me.

Anyways.....just another lesson in life.

Ohhh and Jimmy was here before most of us right?......so dont he kinda half own the place?

I dont care who does the Moddin' we just need more arguein' :mad: <<<<yep still took 3 clicks to get that stupid smiley!!!!!!!!!! But im sure you all dont care about that!!!

Why can't all of the items you stated above be part of the club members responsibility? The club is what YOU as a member make it to be.

The moderators responsibility is to enforce the policies generated be the administrators of the site. It is NOT to create little games to keep club members amused.

Kev

I can only speak for myself but this site is full of quality tutorials and how-to's I've posted. That's the idea. The War Stories board was named that because of the war stories I used to post on Ryddler's old board before he created this one, been contributing since back in the mid 90's. I don't spend a ton of time in BS but BS is easily the most visited part of the site, so that's a big part of what brings people in. Yeah it's Ryddler's site, he makes the rules, but rules are interpreted in different ways by mods and sometimes mods do shady things, not naming names but it has happened. We've all seen new members get flamed for "not reading the FSM", right? Seen mods debate and then lock threads to avoid replies, right?

Putting that to the side, if this is a club then I agree we all should try to make it sucessful in some way.

As far as "little games to keep club members amused.", if keeping members amused doesn't matter then what is the point, just to have the site be an online manual? It's easy not to come here as many have shown, I say let members have their fun as much as possible, they are the ones actually coming here.

Edited by Fuze

Fuze,

I in no way meant to disrespect your knowledge and devotion to the community. I, for one, recognize the hard work you place into documenting technical info.

I'm also in agreement with everything you stated above. My only point was this info comes from the members of the community and isn't part of the criteria of being a moderator. Lots of the mods have been long time members, have a vast amount of tech knowledge, and spend a fair amount of time on the site that they become heavy contributors to this type of info, but I still consider these roles as 'member responsibilities'.

I do understand your point about the 'little games', but making key characters look like 'boobs' repeatively in a 95 page thread? Are we really fighting over this?

kev

• Like 1