Moderators

IntercooledFlatty

from shelby: my question is this,,,, what is it you need help with I have saw no questions ask'd no request for help

so just what is the problem

i have no problem, i have a question, but i want to say this is in no way offending anyone and stepping on anyone's toes because i seem to rub some people the wrong way.

i want to know what mod deleted the word association thread, or little games as kev put it, and why ?

that is all, just ax explination, if i may get one, not to cause trouble or point fingers, just a simple " i did it because... "

When there are enough disgruntled SQC members to populate a few other SQ forums, maybe it's time to think about that..

are we thatjz around here that a silly little word game hurts little boy feelings and the thread gets yanked with no explination. if your kid does something wrong do you punish them without an explination ?

i'm not trying to cause trouble, i just want to ask questions and get answers but it to me seems there's a mod click going on and if one isn't part of " that crowd " or liked by that crowd you are left in the dark. this is a club site, and i understand there are rules, but i didn't see anyone break any. make this place no fun and let's see how it turns out.

yes, silly childish little word games are fun, posting silly little pics of randon things is fun, it's in the bullstinky section what else do you want there ?

...awaiting an answer please sirs

• Like 1

I feel the games can be the "hook" that keeps some of us checking back in, it adds some fun and flavor beyond the normal cars problems and parts, for me it adds a human touch, and that includes the arguments too.
  • Like 1

^ x2 , and yes to an earlier post SQC has become somewhat stale , along with new mods this 'family friendly site ' thing got old long ago and has been a lame excuse used to remove threads by mods for years and another cause of members leaving and heading to Facebook mostly .

Like many others posting here i would like to see SQC thrive again , it's a damn good website, changes are needed though along with some fresh faces as mods,the admin as is is fine but needs to lighten up some however i feel if you want to be a mod here one requirement should be is that you actually OWN a Starion or Conquest .

Edited by SOTTY

Just a thought. Why not have a "term" for moderators. And perhaps elections for the positions. To help keep things fresh ya know. Every body wants fresh blood here. That will keep things rotating. Being ran by a community of peers.
  • Like 1

Just a thought. Why not have a "term" for moderators. And perhaps elections for the positions. To help keep things fresh ya know. Every body wants fresh blood here. That will keep things rotating. Being ran by a community of peers.

Excellent idea

The issue I see with that is moderators have a decent amount of "power" as far as content goes. Both in creation and as you guys have seen deletion. Without some kind of "gate" only allowing trusted people who are responsible with that power we could have serious issues with content being deleted, modified, or maybe worse. Another problem with voting is I think we can all agree we have lots of members here but a much smaller group of active users. Because of the relatively small "pool" and what I'd guess would be small number of overall votes, it wouldn't be hard for only a few people to adversely effect the outcome by working together etc.

Is all that being paranoid? Yes lol! But I deal with software security at work all the time so I tend to think that way haha.

The idea of this no longer being a family friendly site is probably something that will never happen. Only one person here pays all the bills and it is that person who gets to set the rules. It is Ryddler's wish that this be a place that it friendly to everyone and it is clearly stated in the site policy. As mods and admins it is our job to uphold his wishes and it is what we will continue to do. I doubt that issue will every seriously be put up for discussion and there are other sites that cater to those who do not want a family friendly atmosphere

I did not have anything to do with the word association thread, so I can not comment on as to why it was removed. But we are ALL grown adults here and we ALL understand the site policy. I believe that 90% of the posts that we remove come from people who knew perfectly well that they were breaking the rules when they posted it. Don't want your content removed? Then follow the site policy. If you choose to keep skirting the filter or posting inappropriate content, then don't get all butt hurt when you see that it disappears.

I have given warning posts in threads to let the members know that they are getting close to having a thread locked and, thankfully, most times it solves the issue and the thread continues on. But you can not expect us mods to give a full explanation EVERY time a post is removed for language or content. Odds are, if your post gets removed, then you probably know why and nothing else needs to be said.

The issue I see with that is moderators have a decent amount of "power" as far as content goes. Both in creation and as you guys have seen deletion. Without some kind of "gate" only allowing trusted people who are responsible with that power we could have serious issues with content being deleted, modified, or maybe worse. Another problem with voting is I think we can all agree we have lots of members here but a much smaller group of active users. Because of the relatively small "pool" and what I'd guess would be small number of overall votes, it wouldn't be hard for only a few people to adversely effect the outcome by working together etc.

Is all that being paranoid? Yes lol! But I deal with software security at work all the time so I tend to think that way haha.

I only remove content when it violates the site policy. Skirting the language filter and posting sexual content will cause me to edit or remove a post in a heart beat. But i doubt any moderator here really has the time or the want to just run around and remove/ change other peoples posts just for the fun of it.

Our job as a moderator is to uphold the site policy and to try to keep the site running smoothly. We are not trained monkeys that are here to provide entertainment for everyone.

If the membership wants games and such to keep the site lively, then by all means, start those threads. It's what they BS section is for. Just make sure they follow site policy and there wont be an issue.

Most days the membership doesn't even know when the mods are here doing anything. We try to stay in the background and let the community do whatever it wants (within reason). Most of us don't make a hobby out of picking threw the posts just to see what we can delete. We tend to let a lot of things slide and keep our moderation to a minimum. If the membership is calling for a change in that practice, then I'm sure we can add a few more mods and make our moderation a lot more heavy handed.

I would like to clarify that none of my post's content have been directed at anyone let alone you Taz. Reading your post I get the feeling that you feel like you need to defend your actions which is very far from the case. Edited by speedyquest

I haven't been on much due to eye issues. My vision, due to astigmatism and cataracts, has gotten so bad I can't read with tears running done my face.

As far as this site, like Taz said, will always be family friendly. Not sure about new mods, since we banned a certain member, most of the arguments have ended. On the work association thread, I will say parts of it were not appropriate for sqc, the people who posted them knew they were suggestive but chose to post it anyway. Thank those for getting it removed, not the moderators who just kept with site policy.

Jimmy

We're going from not enough to toooooo many now. :lol:

I think the majority of us left....that still post.....just actually care!

And want to help a little..... thats all.

I guess I will just butt out then..

Sorry.....probly wont be long and I will be gone too anyways.

I think the majority of us left....that still post.....just actually care!

And want to help a little..... thats all.

I guess I will just butt out then..

Sorry.....probly wont be long and I will be gone too anyways.

Sorry if I came off that way, did not mean to offend anyone and I welcome all members.

Jimmy

I think the majority I think the majority of us left....that still post.....just actually care!

And want to help a little..... thats all

. THIS . Edited by SOTTY
  • Like 1

Erin,

Great post!

I'm in complete confusion as to why moderators should have the requirement to post tech info in the community. Moderators have the requirement of categorizing this information into the correct forums (such as the FAQ boards that members don't have write privileges to) but it's the club members who provide this information to the community. The how-to threads that I have developed we're done as a member of this community who wanted to share the experience in the effort to either aide others or simply to give others the confidence to rebuild parts on their own rather than trashing them or worse junking the car. I never in any way shape or form considered making these part of my moderator responsibilities. In fact I'm utterly offended that this was even stated.

Scotty,

Think about that comment that you made saying that mods should have the requirement to at least own a conquest. Sounds awfully familiar to a former member saying that a conquest isn't a conquest if it doesn't have a g54b in it. If I recall you were one of the most offended by that....essentially causing a huge uproar that lasted for months.

Kevin

I would like to clarify that none of my post's content have been directed at anyone let alone you Taz. Reading your post I get the feeling that you feel like you need to defend your actions which is very far from the case.

There's more frustration in my post than anything really. It's gets very frustrating having to answer to posts like this over and over. As a mod you are always on the firing line no matter how fair you think you have been. We are human, we are not perfect and it is very hard not to fight back at times when it feels like you are being "attacked". Us being blamed because others choose not to follow the rules gets old. And The topic of this no longer being a family site has gotten old.

I'm not saying that questions aren't welcome or shouldn't be asked if we get out of line. But a simple PM can solve the problem most of the time. I know that I am more than willing to answer PMs and have tried to keep an open line of communication that way. Some problems I can fix and others we all will just have to live with.

Scotty,

Think about that comment that you made saying that mods should have the requirement to at least own a conquest. Sounds awfully familiar to a former member saying that a conquest isn't a conquest if it doesn't have a g54b in it. If I recall you were one of the most offended by that....essentially causing a huge uproar that lasted for months.

Kevin

C'Mon man has nothing to do with that idiot and his fake crap , I myself own a v8 swapped Conquest , other members feel the same way , if you want to be a mod here then own one

• Like 1

If the purpose of this thread is to have a "healthy" discussion about the moderation of this site, then NEITHER of the comments above are proving to be helpful.

If the objective is to have yet another locked thread, then by all means, carry on in that direction.

If y'all go and read my original post it says the Admin is fine as it is and do a good job , if your a mod then own one , it's my opinion , good moderators are seen and not heard is another.

sorry jimmy.

I was not referring to you.

as i was quoting Edde...always dissing me in the BS forum

What? No I wasn't. It had nothing to do with you.

I was interjecting that everyone was interested in being a MOD now and that would be too many. It just happened after your post but it meant nothing relating to ANY person. :(

What? No I wasn't. It had nothing to do with you.

I was interjecting that everyone was interested in being a MOD now and that would be too many. It just happened after your post but it meant nothing relating to ANY person. :(

LOL... now we got something going.

haaa - everybody's tossing themselves into the ring. I'd love to for the experience as I have aspirations of starting my own forum site for my profession. Don't have time for it now, as is evidenced by my car not being running yet. That might be an automatic D/Q.

All mods have my support & approval. Thanks guys.

This is easily solved. Jimmy needs to get ahold of ryddler and he can decide what he wants to do. This is not a club. All of us have no say in how things are done here.Ryddler makes the rules not the admins or moderators. Maybe he would be willing to put up a thread for voting in/out the people tasked with the daily policing of the site. If not everyone here is free to go elsewhere.

This is easily solved. Jimmy needs to get ahold of ryddler and he can decide what he wants to do. This is not a club. All of us have no say in how things are done here.Ryddler makes the rules not the admins or moderators. Maybe he would be willing to put up a thread for voting in/out the people tasked with the daily policing of the site. If not everyone here is free to go elsewhere.

some one is a little confused here ,, THIS IS NOT A PUBLIC SITE it is a privately owned and maintained site by Ryddler

he is soul owner and what ever he wishes is what will be the RULES in his house , all of us are here by way of his

genorousity and all the hard work put in to keeping it running is done by him and has been for many years

we all need to say thank you and be glad to be here and abid by his rules as he see's fit to lay down