First MPI swapped SQ

TexasQuest

So I was thinking the other day I've been on here for awhile now and have seen many MPI builds over the years. Then I started wondering if anyone knows roughly who the first known person was to get an Aussie Magna intake and modify it to fit? How did they find out there was a factory bolt-on MPI intake for our motors? Might be a long shot but maybe some of the super veterans here might remember?

I could be wrong, but was not the EIP Cannon the first after market mpi? And were they not the first to mpi a starquest? Edited by louswheel01

Cannon was the first aftermarket likely....but hadn't Glen already shipped to the US by then? I'm thinking my Glen Magna was bought in the 2001-2002 range. Edited by jonboyb

I'm pretty sure Shelby had a role in making the Magna intake-G54B engine connection. I think Chiplee converted to MPI back in 2002. There was a Glen Magna MPI group purchase back in 2003. HotrodTSI had his white '89 converted to MPI back in '04, I got pics of it at the Pigeon Forge meet. I think he bought his Magna via the Glen purchase. Edited by Josh '88

MUCH OF THE CREDIT FOR OUR AUSSIE INTAKE GOES TO TWO PEOPLE BOTH IN AUSSIE LAND , back in 99 I had a lot of comuniation with one of our aussie members going by the name off 'Cookie ' , he did a lot of leg work in looking over the intake

for me but he did not have the means of making the needed modifications , this iswere Glenn came in he had the means of

acquiring the intakes and making the necessary modifications to make it work on a rwd engine

this was mid 1999 , I received the stock intake mid jan 2001 , intake cost me $65.00 shipping was $75 , bought it

directly from a junk yard in aussie land over the phn

I think it was 2002 by the time Chip and Glenn got to gather the first group purchace for the modified intakes

many props go out to CHIP AND GLENN FOR STARTING ONE OF THE BEST MODIFICATIONS TO OUR ENGINES IN OUR HISTORY

last count we had some thing like 300 intakes our there

my time tabble may be off a little but not by much

several changes were made to the 1st generation intakes , to my knowledge I had the first magna intake sent to the us

for use on our quest engines but I had the misfortune of having open heart surgery a week or soon after I received my

intake so it was several years before I had an Mpi engine running

Yep, most of the credit goes to the Aussie guys. But it was chip, chad, mike k, Hefner, shelby, and others who 'documented' their work on this site and really made the modification capable and worthwhile.

Kev

I believe Chad can be seen around facebook. Mike K I remember just up one day and parted his car announced he was done and left. Started riding his mountain bike or some such :wub:

Gav's awesome Sapparro was the first RWD magna mpi/T04 2.6 I saw, on the olllddd aus forum... could have been "bishiboys"?.

Many years before one showed up stateside (at least on forums)

There was also an aussie website featuring a FWD mpi 2.6 galant?(or magna?) He detailed his mods ALOT.

Tested various cams(wade, crow...), threw 30psi at cast pistons, etc. Car was a tire-frier

Darryl Horn had his Magna swapped car running before me. User name is just Darryl_Horn. He hasn't been active since October of '12, and he and I haven't spoken since 2007. At the time he was still driving the car and running 50/50 aviation fuel (100 low lead) and high test. I'm honestly happier with the longevity improvements we made with that group buy than I am with the performance. It's how the car should have shipped from the factory. Edited by chiplee

Anybody have the original mods that were done on that first group buy?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the first mpi was a guy Jessy very few know him. Not very active on here but goes by jestar. He built this setup from what I remember before starquestclub was even a thing. It is a full one of sheet metal setup.

Unfortunately this is the only picture I have which does not show it off very well...http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p209/on4now4/_IGP2875.jpg

Here is the whole car if interested

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p209/on4now4/_IGP2873.jpg

I purchased mine from Glens 2nd group buy and have ran it since 04. There were only a few sent on the first gp and i think those used the 5.0 tb...after the next gp we used the 4.6 ford tb. Its still the best mod i added to my car!

Anybody have the original mods that were done on that first group buy?

I have one on them. Bought mine with same batch as mike k and others. Just about the same mods as more recent ones.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10009/Nov17_05.jpg

that's a pic of mine it's about as diff as any magna from the others, basicly they are all the same,, but as you can see I had an inch thick separator plate welded on before #1 cyl and welding on a thicker throddle body plate

one yr is slightly longer runners but not by much , that and where people drilled to place vac ports is about the only diff in all of them

I think JamesCNM and a guy named Frank from Jay Kolda's site were one of the first too. Frank was breaking rear axles regularly with his, running low 11's on the drag track if I remember right.