Promoted to Major yesterday

chiplee

Just thought I'd let you guys know. It's no biggy except that it's the first officer rank from which you are guaranteed to be allowed to remain on active duty long enough to retire. So, 9 years to a pension I guess. What else would I do? That and the $1k/mo raise I guess seals the deal just like the Marine Corps wants it to at this time. The girl I posted about over V'day and I are in a committed relationship now, so I had her pin me. She loved it. I was pretty neutral about it. First bonus check is coming soon too, so I've got to find something to spend money on quick.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First bonus check is coming soon too, so I've got to find something to spend money on quick.

I'd be willing to take that off your hands for you. Not that I'd take any pleasure from it, but for th greater good of the team. :hmm3grin2orange:

Congrats Chip, I'm going to be real jealous in 9 years when I'm still workin my tail off and you are retired!

Dad

The Marines own you. I used to work with a Major in the DTRA that's now running the Nevada Test Site, he's Army and that's what he always told me. You've traded the security of cash flow for the insecurity of where the he11 will they send me next?

These days that's a good trade.

Scott

The Marines own you. I used to work with a Major in the DTRA that's now running the Nevada Test Site, he's Army and that's what he always told me. You've traded the security of cash flow for the insecurity of where the he11 will they send me next?

These days that's a good trade.

Scott

Man you aint lying! I am prolly about to re-up myself!

Congrats sir. When I was stationed in Fallon we'd come down to China Lake every couple of months for our little Top Gun det down there. I've sinced moved on to sea duty. :( I always liked China Lake better than Fallon, though. The locals are much... friendlier =)

well congradulations old man,, as for spending the money ,,don't worry your new gal will take that off your hands in a hurry ;)

to be ferfictly honest with you i'd be hapy as he11 if you said your were geting marry'd next week and she got prego the same week ;) twins no less lol

Awsome keep up the good work. And I was happy with my 500 a year more promotion I was told about yesterday. Can't argue with the current econ. atleast I didn't have to take one of those volentary manditory pay cuts like so many have.

As for spending the bonus, I believe there was talk of an off roading vehical a bit back???? I think you should buy it some toys and protection for the under carage. A locker and tires too.

pretty sweet chip...maj takes a long time to put on in the air force, prob same thing for marines. so 11 years you've been in? so you think you'll make it to colonel before then (20years)?? Edited by spoolinturbo

Thanks fellas. I'll find something to do with the money. Slydogg is right, civilian life would kill me. I haven't flown for a week and I'm itching for it. Shelby is probably right, too. In fact right after the ceremony the Colonel who promoted me walked up and said "You should see the pay increase on the 15th". Then he looked at my girlfriend and said "Enjoy it", and chuckled.

Oh and no I don't think I'll make Col in 20, LtCol maybe. Very few 20 year colonels out there. Officer promotions are tied closely to time in grade until General. At that point it becomes more billet dependant.

Edited by chiplee

congradulations son, on both accomplishments, i'm glad you decided to stay. i doubt civilian life can keep you intertained.

Yeah the second one just might turn out to be my lifetime crowning achievement if it keeps going this well. This girl and I are still absolutely perfect together, and closer to shelby's proposed timeline than I ever thought I'd be. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we were home in May to PA around our birthdays (21st & 22nd) to announce the engagement. We're utterly inseparable right now, and fine with how crazy that is in two weeks. She'll be moving in to stay very soon but already spends every night there. It's the strongest either of us has ever felt about someone, but even when it's been close in the past it hasn't been reciprocated. This time it is, and it's art in real life every minute we're together. Don't even give a shte if anyone understands or cares.