Promoted to Major yesterday

chiplee

Sorry I missed this until now, Ken. no, as a pilot it won't be grounds for a transfer.

I'd like to be "young" and in love again, too, Ken. I'll settle for being in love with someone young. If we get her pregnant right now I'll be 51 when the kid is 18, and we want 2 or 3 kids, and would like to wait a year or two to start "trying". That puts me easily in my mid 50s with kids still at home , perhaps 60 and then almost guaranteed not to get much time with my grand kids, or perhaps none at all if they wait as long as me, which for their sake I kind of hope they do. Everything is a trade off I guess. If we can wait 2 years I'll probably never have to do another military move after they're school age. Wouldn't mind being a crusty old retired Marine Colonel when chumps try to date my daughter. This girl will make ridiculously beautiful babies, even in spite of my ugly mug.

There is nothing wrong with having a child when you are older in life. I had child number 4, by accident, when I was 51 years old. :eek1bluegreen: Anna is now 13 years old and I'll turn 64 in May.

She keeps me young! I find that the older you get, the time you have to spend with them is more precious than when you were younger, and you are more open to LISTENING to what they are saying, including the little nuiances, in their voices, as they are telling you things. Even tho her Mom and I are divorced, Anna and I talk on the phone almost every night.

When you are with them, and they are sharing with you, look at them with interest, even tho you are not interested in a word they are saying, but maybe you should be. Then if asked a question or opinion, respond in a positive manner, telling them this is your best shot. It's a way to build their trust and respect in you, so when the crap really hits the fan in their life, they feel that they can come to you and tell you, even though, they know they are going to get in trouble. And when they get in trouble ask them to tell you why they think they are in trouble. Instill in them early, as soon as they start talking, that there is one thing that you cannot stand is a liar, and if they do lie, you have lost trust in them, and you may have a hard time believing them in the future. When they are in trouble give them a fair "punishment", AND DO NOT LET THEM OFF THE HOOK.

I believe that's why Grand Parents are so close to their Grand Kids. I'm old enongh to be Anna's grand father.

One other important thing, from the time when they first start being interactive with you, start reading them bed time stories. Tuck them in every night you are home and tell them that you are proud of them and love them, good night, sweet dreams and you will see them in the morning, if possible. This does a number of good things for them: it gives them good warm fuzzies about themselves, you and your relationship with them; they feel safe, they have a good night's sleep (most times); and it instills in them a desire to read books and broaden their horizons not only in their younger days but through out their lives.

Never break a promise that you made to them; and NEVER break a mutual trust or confidence (or let them know you have, if warranted).

So much for the lessons learned with my first two daughter's and son. We were close but nothing like it is with Anna and I. And there is a distinct difference in your relationship with a son verses a daughter.

My Dad told me this when my 1st ex and I had our first daughter, Laura, back in '66. Having a teenage daughter is God's punishment to you for all the crap you did to other Father's daughter's when you were a teenager.

Once again, there is nothing wrong with having children when you are older. It just gives you a deeper perspective on your relationship with them. Having children is a tremendous gift and and awsome responsibility.

Enjoy your future children and be a positive part of their lives. I'll get off of my soap box for now.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

BTW - No Grand Kids yet, :( but I have 4 great kids. It's cool.

Edited by Starfighterpilot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic