Most reliable motor?

starquest87

Say you wanted to take your starquest across the country, put 20,000 plus miles on her and your stock motor was blown, put aside power and go for just reliability, which motor would you / could you swap in?

A well maintained g54b is very reliable. I've had mine for over 7 years and its still going strong.

Sure the motor is very reliable...

What good does that do when half the stuff bolted to it is discontinued? Between injector failures and all the other b.s. I have to carry spare components such as a knock box, ecu, injector resistor (yes mine broke on the road), blah blah blah.

Before I did the swap and my Montero was a n/a g54b with an aftermarket all mechanical carb, yes it was the most reliable thing ever... (with 90hp)

After the starquest swap is when I had all the breakdowns, and yes i everything maintenance wise before starting it.

Edited by Malykaii

If you want something easy to put in and go, along with reliable, 4d56. I'm averaging 30-32mpg blowing smoke with boost turned up. Biggest road trip I have done so far is 7 hrs each way in one day, motor had 150k on it, I have easily put 20k on it already

I'd go ls, parts are readily available, plenty of power, and durable as heck! As much as I love my jz, the ls wins with its simplicity. Of course budget wasn't brought up here, that makes a big difference.

I read into the OPs topic too deeply and immediately smelled the diesel. I'd love to fit a Ford 7.3L International under the hood of a SQ. Not gonna happen but those motors last FOR-EV-ERRR!

Helped swap out a 6L powerjoke for a 7.3L last year. A good read: http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/73psd.html

The most reliable motor would have to be a late gen 22RE from a Toyota pickup. I say the late gen because the early ones had an issue with the timing chain wearing inside against a coolant passage. But other than that they are almost bullet proof.

But for a Starquest it would have to be the G54B. I have had my motor running for years now pretty good. Minor issues like cam seal in the rear of the head leaking but for the most part fine.

4G54, built to last... think about that. I, myself am running a 4G54 from 1987, original block. Nearly 180k on the clock, still running strong.

Many here share the same story. Left unmolested, a stock StarQuest will run forever, given proper maintenance of course.

I have a v8 Mercedes that is 36 years old, with over 330k miles. Everything under the hood is original except fluid, belts, spark plugs, battery, and hoses. Still running like a champ. Still don't consider it the most reliable. The most reliable motor is a well maintained one. Edited by GINASQ

I read into the OPs topic too deeply and immediately smelled the diesel. I'd love to fit a Ford 7.3L International under the hood of a SQ. Not gonna happen but those motors last FOR-EV-ERRR!

Helped swap out a 6L powerjoke for a 7.3L last year. A good read: http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/73psd.html

Wait, so you actually like that motor? Sure, like the g54b, the block can last forever, but everything else bolted to it sucks big time.

At work we have 250 trucks, with a quarter running T444E. Once in a blue moon the rear main seal will cut a ridge into the crank and boom, oil leak... Otherwise the blocks are fine.

However, these things eat cam sensors, IDM relays, oil coolers, and so on. They leak from all sorts of places all the time. Everything from glow plugs to injectors are under the valve cover. During the winter it's only these trucks that won't start. The parts are killer pricey and the amount of stuff I have to throw at it once a year to prevent a breakdown is outrageous. Its awfully loud, and it's so foul that I have to coast these things into the shop and cut the ignition before I make it in.

Compared to the Cummins 6bt, Gmc 4.3, and LS motors out other trucks have, the Navistar motor is a dud.

You want reliability? Try an old hit and miss motor. Them things can run for decades non stop with minimal maintenance. Motors like that used to be used in remote oil fields. They were fuel by well gasses and would run for weeks before someone came by to check on them.