I have cancer , i also have friends

Shelby

I dont post much on here anymore, but shelby. without you and some of the other guys on the forum my car may have never ran!

it amazes me how simple you make it seem, as to me even 8 years later i still havent a clue!

some are good with a pencil, some are good with a wrench, and others (me) we aren't good at much besides getting in trouble and breaking stuff!

very sorry to hear this however wanted to say thanks, and you are one of three names i reconize instantly on this forum. you are the foundation of this place as far as i can tell and you left it very well built!

Very sorry to hear the news Shelby. You've always been the model for "give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime." Both as to how you helped others on this and other StarQuest sites - wanting folks to learn - and being an example of one who learned throughout life and was able to actually use what you learned. Bravo! Nobody knows everything - everybody has more to learn. And at the same time, everybody has something they can teach others too. When this site is at its best, you, me, everybody, is teaching and learning at the same time.

I salute you old friend.

Mike C.

I hate to read this but I can't say it's a surprise. We should all be grateful for the knowledge and friendship you have shared through the years. I'll never forget when your sig said "Grumpy old man, pay no attention to anything I say" That always make me laugh! Even though I have never met you in person I still consider you a friend. We are a family here and you are the grandpa we all should aspire to be. Thank you for everything you have done both in and out of the SQ family. We will be a lesser world without you. God speed Shelby

Gentlemen and I mean that with all my heart , you make it hard to type on here , now can you do me a

favor do not treat me any diff then I have ever been treated ,just another club member , that's all

I've ever strived to be

but do for give me if I live another 6 months another year , I have no idea,but a close friend of mine just when thru this same thing and from the day they told her till she was planted it was 3 weeks

such things make it hard to make plans , and one major thing I wanted to say was how much I cared for

my friends on here while I had time to do so

if you knew my life story you'd be shock'd to see how I came to be me from the way it started ,

my childhood makes " American horror story " seem like a fairy tail :) these I was abused as a

child storys makes me laugh they have no idea what hell really is but I do

So sorry to hear the bad news. As was said above, get going on some of the things you've never gotten around to doing.

I personally had a second recurrence of the cancer I had surgery on last year, they operated the end of August and couldn't get it all. Fortunately it's a non-aggressive type and they can watch it and see but it was a strong motivation to get off my butt and do some things this summer that I always meant to do but never got around to.

Good luck and we'll all be thinking of you!

one thing I have found out about Bucket lists,, they almost always require money$$ and that is one thing I have none of

but i'l get by , you'll ne suprised at what all I have done in my life,,

my bucket list is sort of short these days

a couple things I have add'ed is I'm gona try to have a cold one with some friends I have never done so with ,

like when I met Chip I did not have the time to set down and have a bro to bro talk, in retrospect i should have

taken the time , made the time , same with a number of other people we were in a rush to do things and didn't get around to the real important things

a frigin cold beer isn't gona kill me

a frigin cold beer isn't gona kill me

No it won't, want to have a few in Texas? In about three weeks? I'll chip in on airfare, pick you up at the airport and being a former resident of the area be your driver. Any way you can escape the clutches of the medical fraternity?

My father passed in 2004 of lung cancer, my wife was diagnosed with stage four metastatic breast cancer in January of 2014, now just nine months later is in remission. Can't think of a better place for you but YOU have to see that, I'm used to breathing apparatus and have 25 years experience with medical oxygen. Just offering. Promise I won't treat you any different than I did last year.

The last year of my Dad's life I was living in Houston, flew up to see him in Northern MN as often as I could after his second diagnosis of lung cancer. We always worked on cars together, he taught me obviously, but my younger sister had purchased this crazy Japanese car used with 25K on the odo and drove the crap out of it until it reached just short of 100K miles when it crapped out. Sat in the barn for several years, I had forgot about it until Dad got sick and between that car and his beloved Bronco II that needed a tranny rebuild I managed to get up about one weekend every month. The Starion had the classic injector clip problem that no local place could figure out, but with the help of this forum I did, and the Bronco II ends up having the same manual tranny as the Starquest, just with a transfer box, thank you PQ (love him or not). Drove that Staron home to Houston first and got hooked and never looked back, Dad got to drive his Bronco II after we rebuilt the tranny, maybe only twice but before he went he told me that he wanted me to have it. He died about a month later. I was just at his grave last Tuesday, it being in North Dakota and me living now in Washington state its not easy to get to.

So Shelby, game for a meet? We can make this work for you.

you guys sure made it hard on an old man , rather hard to plan any thing right off , I have sleep on

and off for over 36 hours now just trying to catch up

so if I have not responded to you give me a little time

Shelby, Ive read your posts regarding your health issues for a while. Sometimes just slight hints about you been at a hosp while in the midst of a post probably offering sound advice/guidance. I never said anything. I didnt know what to say. I just wished the best. So this news really has effected me.

And I am very sorry to hear it.

Fromwhat Ive seen your an amazing family man. Always doing things for the offspring. What are you up to.....20 grandkids?? I know your always proud enough to share with us.

I think you even rebuilt an ATV for one of them??? Another thing that has always stood out to me, your always the first person to say, "enough of the cars, where are the pics of the people?" You always wanted to "meet" them in a way. I think thats cool.

There is a strange effect the internet has on personalities and its rarely in a good way. Personally, I always thought it would be cool as all hell to meet you. I feel the same way about Randy. So Randy is gonna drive from Ohio to Florida and pick you up in his conquest and bring you to the Houston meet at the end of the month......... w/t

Anyways, screw the cars. When it comes to the people you have been a VERY key one to many if not most of us. You have had a large hand in making this community what it is. Thank you.

Phil

edit:

Just saw your post Scott! I second that motion!!!

Edited by Funky Phil

Ya Shelby,,,,, DO it man...I am willing to pitch in in any way to help this happen either a ride or a flight. there is a saying i use, mostly my friends and family hear it but..."Everybody dies, Not everybody Lives" Come on Shelby... that one beer or little trip wont kill you. we will give you a few rides in some cars,,,,,,,that should give that ticker of yours a work out.

Note,,, there are a few of us on board with this,,,, and between us,,,WE CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN... WE Just need you to say the word, and the mad dash will commence.

Edited by wrngwae

Shelby,

I'm at a complete loss of words. I have to admit, I saw your post on Friday but didn't respond; for I didn't know how to...and never been good at this type of thing. Now it is Monday and I'm still tongue-tied.

I've been a starquest owner for 22 years now and for as long as I can remember, you have been a staple of this community. I remember reading your advice back in highschool and early college years. Although most of it was well over my head at the time, this 'go to man' in the community was viewed in my mind in the highest level of respect. I remember being a young newbie and putting up a generic post about wanting cheep mods for my car...you layed into me pretty good. I cannot remember the words exactly, but the advice was clear as day; 'don't even try to modify the car until, #1 I know what the heck I am doing, and #2 I know that the car is running exactly the way it was intendeded/designed...and I cannot verify #2 without #1". I didn't attempt to modify any of my conquests for years after that! I put my efforts into just keeping the car on the road and running as good as I can with the resources that I had. The result: I actually drove my car to class, work, etc every day. Never blew an engine doing something stupid, etc.

You have and always will be an inspiration to this community. With the hundreds of members who have come and gone throughout the years, how many can you think of who spent hours every day trying to answer questions, troubleshoot, and offer advice in almost every VM post on the board? I can think of a few...but how about doing this consistently for 15+ years?

The thing about you that I've greatly respected is that your advice is sometimes not what a member wanted to hear. You were never afraid to tell it like it is, but this advice was presented in a non-offensible manner...typically focusing on the 'mechanics'. How many times have members read one of your replies to their threads/posts and simply said 'oh crap, I need to think about this further'....or 'oh crap, he is right'? haha.

I cannot thank you enough for all of the support you have and continue to provide to this community! You will be in my prayers as you battle this viscous curse on mankind (cancer).

kev

You have always inspired me to be better / help where I can. You will live on in what you have taught and will be though of kindly any time someone starts there car / truck knowing that you had a hand in allot of what we have done.

I wish you all the best, and hope you have a smooth journey to where ever you believe you will go.

Very sorry to hear the news Shelby. You've always been the model for "give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime." Both as to how you helped others on this and other StarQuest sites - wanting folks to learn - and being an example of one who learned throughout life and was able to actually use what you learned. Bravo! Nobody knows everything - everybody has more to learn. And at the same time, everybody has something they can teach others too. When this site is at its best, you, me, everybody, is teaching and learning at the same time.

I salute you old friend.

Mike C.

Mike not to pick you out of all the guys that have posted on here but I need to say I have always

told any one that would listen there is only ONE expert on these cars and that is YOU , your mind reminds me of how my mind worked befor they screwed me over with all the darn pattles and elect shocks

your brain works like a dam computer ,, that's how mine was I could recall manuals darn near word for word ,

reading your posts in the old days was like reading some factory repair manual,, the problem with that was it went right over the head of most guys ,, I took pride in have a little some thing to do with dumbing down your replays so normal people could understand them :)

I have always had the greatest respect for you and very glad to have had conversations with the

caliber of person you are , also your a constant reminder of that part of my brains higher learning

and language section I can no long make contact with , so I get by as best I can

but my friend i'l always treasure the fact I did know you , thank you for the respect you gave to me and these guys you helped and that count is into the thousands

Ya Shelby,,,,, DO it man...I am willing to pitch in in any way to help this happen either a ride or a flight. there is a saying i use, mostly my friends and family hear it but..."Everybody dies, Not everybody Lives" Come on Shelby... that one beer or little trip wont kill you. we will give you a few rides in some cars,,,,,,,that should give that ticker of yours a work out.

Note,,, there are a few of us on board with this,,,, and between us,,,WE CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN... WE Just need you to say the word, and the mad dash will commence.

I'm not sure how to answer this , for 70 years I have been the provider , the man that took care of

every thing , hell I've never so much as barrowed $10 from my parents , never had $1 unemployment , $1 in food stanps , and no welfare , so asking and or reciveing charity is very difficult for me ,

being there and meeting you guys hell yes I'd love to , but I've never been one to place my self in

apossiottion to have to ask some one for a $$ for a meal , so I need to think about this for a while

If it's Shelbys wish...... I am also down for the get him there..... I'll keep watching this, but if it happens make sure I know too.

And don't you worry one bit about it!!!!! If it makes it easier for you to stoic don't think of it as charity, think of it as "we all owe you" and it's just our way to say thanks.

DOOOO EEEET Shelby.... you know you want to.... hey if we don't mind why should you? if we truly didn't want to help... we wouldn't. think about it.... its a long due vacation from wrenching on atvs and boats and home made trailers.... ya.. i read your posts... i usually don't post much, but i read. think of the fun and rides in many many different setups from full blown mpi big hp cars to fine rare examples of stock un molested. and like you said a beer with a few people wont kill ya....it will be the national meet to be topped by none.... well planned and executed flawlessly...why would you not want to be a part of it? Edited by wrngwae