Project Turbo Raider On The Streets

jonboyb

Since my job and the massive rainfall kept me from PF, I decided to finish the turbo Raider project. Has a real deal 5000 mile Mitsu longblock (bought it 1991) and running non-IC turbo. Plans were for intercooled and MPI but since I had this rediculous engine sitting around I deemed it adequate....LOL. Running MSII on 2, 850 injectors. Just finished tuning today and it's a trip. Feels like it has 3 times more torque than before at only 7 psi. The swap was a disaster as everything went wrong but an hour of driving today made it all worth it. Cold AC and feels as smooth as a new SUV, blindfolded you would never believe you're in a 25 year-old hooptie:) My boys have been super excited about this project too...LOL.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/awb1102/IMG_0348.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/awb1102/IMG_0341.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/awb1102/IMAG0117.jpg

Ahhhh.....this one's Nevada Sand so doesn't count...LOL.

On another note, was doing some long slow pulls in 4th smoothing out the higher RPM/boost bins in my map and wasn't paying attention to the speedo when I realized I was approaching triple digits and still pulling. Insane since this turd wouldn't do 80 falling off a cliff before. To be such a small SUV it has the feel of going much slower than reality. It's a trip to drive. Still not a fast vehicle by any means, but respectable now for sure. Time to move it to daily duty.

Edited by jonboyb

I have room here if you need a place to store it. Just leave the key so I can move it for Pam to mow the grass.

That is the first pic I've seen of your sons. Good looking young men.

If you want to I/C it, I have an I/c and piping. Yours for the come and get.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy...they're awesome kids, but 100% boys for darn sure. The youngest wasn't going to stop till he got to see under the hood so I put him on the bumper. Notice he's "instructing" my oldest to jack it up some more.

It's very straight for a Gen 1 for sure but the paint is showing it's age and the driver's seat looks like a grizzly bear went searching for a dropped Milk Dud. Chassis has over 210k but not a speck of rust and no caked on mud or damage from off-road adventures. Somewhere along in it's history someone put some love into it and swapped out most of the driveline. I daily'ed it for about a year before the overwhelming lack of power and rear main leak made the turbo swap a reality.

Just leave the key so I can move it for Pam to mow the grass.

Jimmy

Wow great Idea Attach a Lawn Mower Blade to the bottom and call it the lawn mower!

• 5 weeks later...

Put around 1000 miles on and it's been my daily driver for almost a month now. Still running a bit rich under boost and cruise still a little too rich of stoich as well (wideband searches in the 14.2 range) but netted over 20 mpg on the last tank with varied driving conditions. Tipping the scale at 3500+ and turning heavy arse tires/wheels with the A/C blasting in 90 degree heat I'm pretty happy.

Short of about 10 seconds of rough idle after cold start this project has been SOLID (knock wood). I don't know what it is about the old G54b vehicles but I lov'em all!

And finally located a fan shroud :lol:

Ahhhh.....this one's Nevada Sand so doesn't count...LOL.

That was the first thing I was thinking when I opened this thread... "I bet it's gold". Then when it got to it, I was like, "Eh, close enough!" LOL Nice lookin ride. I rode in Tainter's Monturbo, and it's a whole different ballgame with that much power in a little, somewhat topheavy SUV. Brings a whole new meaning to the term "scary fast".

Tried to buy Angel's about a year or 2 ago. It's passed through Ebay a couple times since. Did you ever see it after he did the digital camo?

Raider got the true test today. We had an honest flash flood on the way home from work. Crazy rain and water probably 16" deep in places. Car's broken down all over the roadsides. I was trying to get home before my oldest got of the bus from his first day in public school :D Needless to say I was puckered up pretty bad knowing I had a good 100' of my own wiring under the hood but it performed like a champ. Surprisingly minimal hydroplaning too. Expected much worse with the tires I have.

I was also SUPER thankful I wasn't in the flatty. Weatherman said no worries for today and I almost drove it instead.

Edited by jonboyb

Tried to buy Angel's about a year or 2 ago. It's passed through Ebay a couple times since. Did you ever see it after he did the digital camo?

Raider got the true test today. We had an honest flash flood on the way home from work. Crazy rain and water probably 16" deep in places. Car's broken down all over the roadsides. I was trying to get home before my oldest got of the bus from his first day in public school :D Needless to say I was puckered up pretty bad knowing I had a good 100' of my own wiring under the hood but it performed like a champ. Surprisingly minimal hydroplaning too. Expected much worse with the tires I have.

I was also SUPER thankful I wasn't in the flatty. Weatherman said no worries for today and I almost drove it instead.

that was his thing but i realy didn't care for the camo paint job

but as to your runing rich thing,, be sure to check to see if it's going into closed loop i'd guess it's not

• 4 weeks later...

Any advice? I have everything apart in my raider and will start putting all the starquest stuff in this weekend.

I saw your other post.....I know you're doing it in the street but your bearings open up a world of "what-ifs". Adding the turbo is going to find a weak spot quick. Since you have to do it in the street, block in car...here's my advice.

1- Confirm your cylinders are ok to hone and prep for new pistons/rings.

2- Have your crank and rods inspected by a machine shop. Crank ground if needed (guessing VERY likely looking at your bearings)

3- Have the crank, rods, and pistons (rotating assembly) balanced by a machine shop.

4- I don't know what to tell you about your block....even if if's good to go without machining....I'd be scared about the potential for bearing material throughout oiling system.

All that being said, here's the rest of the to-do's for turbo in a Gen1.

1- You need a SQ oil filter housing and some form of an oil cooler. If you plan to add an intercooler....the oil cooler has to be mounted HIGH and TIGHT to allow room. A SQ oil pump would be a preferred choice over the Gen1 pump....but requires other modifications to oil pickup. That being said I am running a Gen1 oil pump and getting good pressure...but I have a super low mileage engine that's nice and tight.

2- You need a way to drain the turbo oil back to pan....either a SQ front timing cover with the drain back or mod your oil pan.

3- Obviously you need a good electric fuel pump and feed line to your throttle body (assuming you are going fuel injection....if you plan to run carb I can't help you there....blow-through carbs for turbo applications are outside my comfort zone). You can use the stock feeed hardline as your return....just swap barbs on the fuel tank). But hav eto run new feed.

4- If running stock ignition, you need a SQ dizzy with correct vacumn advance....don't think the Gen1 advance will work at all. You also have to wire in the dizzy....not plug and play.

You can get me via PM with questions....too early for me to build one off the top of my head right now :D

Edited by jonboyb