Vasectomy

Kreal

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here has underwent a vasectomy surgery and would be willing to share the experience(how long did it take to heal), and round-about cost and any woes. This has been something I've considered for quite some time as I don't think I ever plan to have children and I have had one too many close encounters with that type of scenario.

Thanks

I hear ya on that.

I aint no expert but I heard of a service that will take your sperm sample and keep it on ice for upto 15 years should you decide different in the future.

Might cost like $10k for that duration.

I think I heard of it on Discovery Channel, cant remember much more. Also something about not being able to extract sperm after said surgery due to the gonad's being "inactive" in sperm production.

I had it done two years ago. The procedure itself is quick, three hours tops. You gotta have all the bushes trimmed before going there. Once there, they take a small needle to your nads to num you out and they begin to cut. I was awake the entire time, watching. I felt greater control that way.

Anyway, the procedure did hurt a bit, when they cut the cord, you can actually feel them tugging your insides out, no exageration. Then the snip of the tubes, one at a time, it makes a popping sound and you feel the pop. Then they burn the tubes and tie them, thats when you feel pain.

That's pretty much it, then they stitch you up, give you some pain meds on the spot and a prescription for home. They tell you to ice it frequently at home, stay off your feet for like 24 hours, no lifting or bending, no sex for two weeks, oh and you have to wear a jock strap looking thing.

Side effects: I swole, looked like two oranges. The stitches pussed a bit, but mainly the swelling brought pain and couldn't really walk. I was hopped up on strong meds, it hurt to even laugh. I didn't have sex for like a month or more, as it took a good month for the swelling to actually go down.

No decline in sexual desire, at least not in my case but I've read that there is a 20% of men who experience a decline. My cousin had it done, he didn't notice a differen and he didn't have any of my side effects.

I tried doing it when I was 22, but the doctors wouldn't do it because I was so young they said and I may change my mind when I matured a bit more. They were right, I got married and had two childre with my wife, apart from my first two from previous woman, ten years apart between them.

Edited by louswheel01

I hear ya on that.

I aint no expert but I heard of a service that will take your sperm sample and keep it on ice for upto 15 years should you decide different in the future.

Might cost like $10k for that duration.

I think I heard of it on Discovery Channel, cant remember much more. Also something about not being able to extract sperm after said surgery due to the gonad's being "inactive" in sperm production.

Ten grand, Geeezzzz. Can't you just stick it in the freezer???

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here has underwent a vasectomy surgery and would be willing to share the experience(how long did it take to heal), and round-about cost and any woes. This has been something I've considered for quite some time as I don't think I ever plan to have children and I have had one too many close encounters with that type of scenario.

Thanks

I heard there was something that they just pinched the tubes off and didn't actually cut them. Why not check into that...

First off you need to understand that a Vasectomy is still no protection from a STD. Having that done should be a decision between yourself and your partner. Keep in mind that that could have an influence on your relationship- Most women are looking forward to marriage and children. Being non fertile could have an effect on if they want to stay in the relationship if they want to have one with you at all.

You may feel this way now, But in a few years you may change your mind and want children after the procedure has been done. There are other options ( the pill for women for example ) That are not so permanent.

Dad

The cost to have your sperm from until a later date is around $500 for the first year and $250/year after that.

The vasectomy isn't that bad if you follow the Dr's instructions. Ice 'em down, wear a jock strap, and stay off your feet for a couple of days. Before you go this route, I would seriously consider the advice from your Dad.

Jimmy

First off you need to understand that a Vasectomy is still no protection from a STD. Having that done should be a decision between yourself and your partner. Keep in mind that that could have an influence on your relationship- Most women are looking forward to marriage and children. Being non fertile could have an effect on if they want to stay in the relationship if they want to have one with you at all.

You may feel this way now, But in a few years you may change your mind and want children after the procedure has been done. There are other options ( the pill for women for example ) That are not so permanent.

Dad

I'm sure he knows that it isn't STD prevention. However, you can always weed out the bad when you meat a girl and when the situation comes up then you tell her about the procedure. If she doesn't like the fact, than it wasn't meant to be. Not everyone changes there minds on this, I have had people my whole life tell me I will indeed change my mind on kids. Guess what? I don't want kids more now than ever. Baby's having babys in this country has become a problem, and will continue to grow if more people don't start doing procedures like this. You can always have it reversed. The old school days are over, where you graduated school, got married, and had kids. I think it is time more people started thinking more about there own well being, and happiness!!!!

Well I would think that the big question is are you positive that you don't want children or just that you don't want children with the particular partner or partners that you are with.?

Dad

I would take Dad's advise. I just had it done about 4 month ago. It was cheap and quick. You first go to the Dr as a procedure and he will question you and ask why you want to do it. If you have no kids and are young chances are they won't do it. After that if you get the green light its simple. My procedure from the time I sat on the table was no more than 20 minutes. While the doctor was doing the procedure we were talking about fantasy football that's how painless it was. Didn't need to ice it, no jockey strap, the one thing I would extremely recommend rest for a least two days. Thats why my doc would do on friday. Stupid me I went to work the next day and on my feet all day. Other than that is painless and affordable. I would recommended, it doesn't take anything from your manhood. It's reversible but not a guaranteed and its not cheap to do, it will cost you about $10k.

You're too young to have those manlies snipped.

If you are really concerned about having another run in, get back to wearing a rubber, put her on birth control, and have plan B ready on the side ( I still find that the GREATEST name for what it's purpose is... ) mix it in with a nice breakfast the next morning and she'll never know :ph34r:

If you're into your 30s I could very well see a valid point, but for now, ehh.... mull it over. Your dad does bring up a very solid and strong point about most women wanting children eventually.

That, or find a girl that doesn't want kids either or something.

Incase any of you haven't noticed, the birth control options these days are leading to major health probs, such as Yaz, Nuva ring, ETC. They are a foriegn chemicals and should not be taken EVER, IMHO!!!!! These chemicals mess with Thyroid, metabolism, and many other issues. A condom would be the best route, but if after a long while with this person. At some point you will want to feel it 100%, cause there is no other better feeling than that my friends! But all good answers and young buck has a lot to think about, for the best decision for him!!

Mine was 5 years ago. Much like Louse described except I didn't have any pain whatsoever, just could feel the tugging on the tubes etc. I took a nap that day lumped the next and went back to work the day after that. The only REALLY EXTREMELY annoying thing is that when I get a cold it feel like I got kicked in the balls. The doctor told me that would happen.

Mine was 5 years ago. Much like Louse described except I didn't have any pain whatsoever, just could feel the tugging on the tubes etc. I took a nap that day lumped the next and went back to work the day after that. The only REALLY EXTREMELY annoying thing is that when I get a cold it feel like I got kicked in the balls. The doctor told me that would happen.

Yeah, I get that too. I didn't watch myself and the next day I picked up my son cuz he took a tumble and that's why the swelling that lasted so long, I didn't stay off my feet.

I would take "DADS" advice. I wanted to do it after my failed relationship with a horrible woman who bore two of my children. Doctors said no because I was letting that bad experience influence me, I was too young and some day I may find someone that I'd marry and she would want to have children.

That's exactly how it happened. My ex was a complete pile of human feces and I had let that experience influence me to writing off marriage, happiness and kids.

Lucky for me I had the advice of a good doctor and didn't do it till now that I'm older, happily married and have two children with my wife. So "DADS" advice is on the money, that procedure is very permanent, people change their minds when they mature and circumstances change as you mature.

Incase any of you haven't noticed, the birth control options these days are leading to major health probs, such as Yaz, Nuva ring, ETC. They are a foriegn chemicals and should not be taken EVER, IMHO!!!!! These chemicals mess with Thyroid, metabolism, and many other issues. A condom would be the best route, but if after a long while with this person. At some point you will want to feel it 100%, cause there is no other better feeling than that my friends! But all good answers and young buck has a lot to think about, for the best decision for him!!

Have your girl look into an IUD, it doesn't have all the nasty side effects that the chemical birth contol does, and is rated higher than about any birth control. Even tho there's not the chemical side effects, it will make her period shorter and less frequent, and keeps babies away for 5 yeas.

I almost got a vasectomy back when I met Kate, because I didn't really care if I had kids or not, and Kate was pretty deffinate that she didn't want any. Well, guess what- now we both want children, so I'm glad I didn't get the operation.

It was mentioned, but I'll re-enforce it, use it or loose it is true with regards to reversability. If you have this done and 15 years later change your mind, there is a very high chance you will not be able to reverse it even if they reestablish the tube. Your nads will atrophy to an extent, and it gets worse over time.

It's hard to belive now, but you do continue to mature and change as you age. We all thought we had it all figured out when we were 25, but when we hit 35, we look back and see so much change. There is a very good chance your attitude will change by then.

If the idea of having kids is so distrubing/scary, there is always abstinence. That works even better than the vasectomy actually,and it costs a lot less in many ways.

If you feel strongly about it and want a partner that is OK with it, tell them soon in a relationship, you'll find 98% of women in your age range will not be OK with that in the long run. It's not a natural/normal thing for a woman to not want kids. It happens, but it's rare. Their desire to have kids actualy gets stronger as they age, up to about 35, so don't think that's your way out either.

I had it done about 6months ago, my wifes birth control was just messing her up and to get her tubes tied was way to much money. We have 3 kids so i figured i was done and i hate condoms so that wasn't really an option, now its nice to have with no worries and just get busy. The procedure didn't hurt except the needle they put in your sack, all you could feel was alittle tugging and burning smell of your vas deferens. Yes they do tie them and burn'em, your suppose to have 20 ejaculations before you have sex to be sure your mojo is dead. I did get pretty bad swelling and they were black and blue for 2 weeks even with ice all day. Over all it was worth it, but i have 3 kids you don't and you never know what gurl or changes in your life are gonna happen, give it alittle time bc this is a huge decision. Edited by boogie

It's hard to belive now, but you do continue to mature and change as you age. We all thought we had it all figured out when we were 25, but when we hit 35, we look back and see so much change. There is a very good chance your attitude will change by then.

Tru that! I absolutely wanted no kids at 25, now that I'm almost 37 I really want them, and feel time's a wastin.

Burton is right...IUD is the way to go....while it does ad risks to the woman it takes away like 19 other possibilities....especially the moodiness/psycho/crazybitch/holy hell yelling at me syndrome/omg what did i do this time/ omg stop hitting me/....etc. I'm just saying.....only bad part is you just can't slap one of these on every girl you meet....lol...and condoms suck.....Don't do anything without research and value your families opinions.

IMO Your still young and you should look at the alternatives for now.