Engine Swap

SuperSnake79

I am, unfortunately, writing this request / post a lot sooner than planned.  I was driving my recent purchase on the back roads this weekend after checking my fluids. Apparently, the fuel gauge was not the only thing that was inaccurate.  I pulled over when I saw the temp get about halfway and let the car sit but I guess too late.  Just before I noticed this the car died on me while driving down the road at 3K RPM I did not think too much of that, thinking the alternator needed some help.  After the 3rd time this occurred, I was able to safely pull off to check things out, and just before I was able to get over, I noticed something coming out of my AC vents while the system was off.  While it sat there the smoke started to come out profusely from the engine bay.  I let her sit for about an hour while I huffed it in the Texas heat to get some radiator fluid and water.  When everything was safe and cooled off, I checked the overflow it was bone dry, and the radiator took one of the two 50/50 solutions I bought.  I could not accelerate past 30ish, and a loud knocking sound was heard, but was able to get her back to the garage. I am pretty confident I know the answer but anyone reading this and wants to confirm my suspicions please do so!  If my worst fears are there, I suppose the Title explains what I am looking for now.  I have been watching YouTube and reading anything and everything I can find, but still not sure what direction I should go.  I have a Shelby now that makes 1000 HP, so I am not afraid to have power, but was not looking for that much, but I always welcome options to add something.  The budget is the one thing that most people I am sure play a factor.  I have exactly 8,200.00 invested into the car now including the recent front dam purchase and cosmetic parts I have purchased.  I am ready to invest more to get her running, but I also want this to be a rewarding investment in the event I want to flip for another pristine one that comes along the way.  Thanks in advance for any advice suggestions and or directions to get started on the new path I have been given.

And I see where you called it a “rewarding investment”. 

I wouldn’t expect to ever get your money back out of one of these.  These aren’t the cars you can buy, then engine swap them, and then sell for profit……

If I could just break even, I’d sell mine immediately to do so. 

• Haha 1

This is more of a question about your mechanical skills, space to work on the car, and available time. These cars will not survive if we don't adapt parts off of newer cars. Things are getting hard, impossible to find and expensive.  Funny I was just thinking about how every starquest story I was ever told started. My friend, brother, dad had a quest and I loved that car but then the engine blew. My hatred for the 2.6 started with forklifts, even without a turbo you couldn't stop the heads from cracking. It will be cheaper, quicker to throw new bearings in the boat anchor and keep it and enjoy it till the next part fails. A engine swap done right will not hurt the value since the engine its wiring and sensors are the biggest problem with these cars. My thought of course others will disagree. 

I have a totally different view when it comes to swaps.  The only swap I would even consider would be a later model mitsubishi engine.   I find drivetrain swaps equivalent to a Fiero with a Ferrari body kit on it.  It's not a Ferrari but it is no longer a Fiero, so what is it...a kit car (something that I always find myself frowning upon).   At least with using a Mitsu engine, it is still a Mitsubishi.

It bothers me when members trash talk the 2.6L, which is a daily occurrence it seems in the FB SQ groups.  That's essentially trash talking a starquest as a whole, in my opinion.   

The G54B is frustrating, I agree.  Every platform/engine has its weak link or flaw.  I do agree that the G54B head is an issue but knowing that and maintaining the car by doing simple modifications, like reverting to an earlier model reliable clutch fan, etc., mitigates that issue.   The frustrating part is actually the engine management system, which is harder to get around.   MPI conversion is the best bet but is costly including sourcing/fabricating parts to make it work.     But I'll say that I love my MPI G54B!   It is definitely not a 'boat anchor'.  Are there newer, more efficient, platforms...of course there are.  We are talking about 40 year old technology here but it is a decent engine with potential (it just takes a bit more work to get that potential due to limited available parts or aftermarket support).    I do feel that a starquest with the original G54B will become more valuable with time, based on comparison with older cars like mustangs, camaros, etc.  Who knows though, maybe the fad of engine swaps will 'stick' and all of these older cars will be more desirable with a newer platform but that is not the case with the 50+ year old cars.  They went through the same history where they were worth nothing for years, then people heavily modified them, swapped in larger engines, etc., but now the money is in an OEM car.   

Man ... hate to hear that!!! Sounds to me like the car had issues and the previous owner knew it. 

I'm with Kev. I have destroyed a half dozen G54 blocks over the years. Not because they were weak. It was always a tune or build failure. Built right they can handle 400 wheel horse all day. Easy to rebuild and best of all it bolts right back in. Or a wideblock 4G64/63 engine is also a bolt in option with a lot of power and reliability potential. Hard to find parts and it requires some know how. Check out this site https://projectzerog.com/

Now with all of that said. My white car will forever be 4G54. The valencia car on the other hand, has a gen 3 LS sitting on the stand. I figured the best of both worlds ?? One day I'll actually get started on the swap. 

I'm told the JZ swaps are much easier than a V8 swap. Just based on the cylinder configuration, I'm sure it is. We are all gluttons for punishment here though. 

2 hours ago, 1SICDSM said:

i feel the best swap is a 4g63.just from a weight standpoint and easier to fit in car.but all options jz,ls,4g63 are all good options.but it does seem the seller new the status of vehicle.unfortunate but thats buying a used car.sorry for that.

These cars like to up and break for no reason, out of nowhere.  They are electronics heavy and the electronics are now like 40 years old.

Edited by tux