CES 2015 BMW Audi Laser Headlights

Fanta

Active LED already does the bulk of that. Laser just extends the range dramatically. When they convince the government to stop charging tax on safety options like this and surround view and pedestrian detection and blind spot detection and lane departure warning, I'll be all about it. Until then it's ridiculous to pay tax on safety features and I refuse unless they are REALLY good, like surround view.

Wow that is amazing. But won't that blind other drivers? Those look insanely bright...

Watch the whole thing and it explains a feature called "anti-dazzle" which senses oncoming cars and presents "low beam" like light intensity to them while shining full intensity light all around them. Pretty pimp, and again, already available in LED on some cars.

I wont be happy with the head lights on my quest until I have lights so bright it cuts and burns like a laser. I run 55w 8k bulbs now and light up the road great.

That would be awesome to make work on a quest. Only problem is lack of steering angle sensor, land detection, gps, and a stable charging system to run it.

Only problem is lack of steering angle sensor, land detection, gps, and a stable charging system to run it.

Lol, I read "only problem is unlimited research, development, test and implementation budget" to run it.

No the future is cars that dont need visible light because the car will be driving you around.

Meh, big maybe. Humans will probably always need to be able to take control for regulatory concerns, weather, glitches, and other unforeseen circumstances. Can't do that if you can't see, not to mention the fact that it'll be very uncomfortable not to be able to see while being driven around. Tesla's new self-driving concept is fully functional, but probably a decade away from hitting the road because of these issues. The future will undoubtedly include this technology, but you're probably right that it will feed sensors that make decisions way faster than we ever could while they whisk us around at 140mph. The infrastructure better catch up.

I already see reliability issues with the system. I have in the past year seen three friends or friend or friends lemon law cars for electrical issues. Audi, infinity, and a Range Rover. Also warned another about these problems, and she proceeds to buy a Me/Be anyway. Half the lights started flickering on the way home from the dealer. I'll pass until I have the money to be able to lease in 2 year inciments, not own.

I think the best mix of fuel efficiency/performance, mechanical simpliciy meets technology, outright reluability, and low cost to maintain has passed us somewhere around 2005-9.

I think the best mix of fuel efficiency/performance, mechanical simpliciy meets technology, outright reluability, and low cost to maintain has passed us somewhere around 2005-9.

I agree. Cars have basically tablets as head units/climate controls now. With wifi and internet/apps. It will be crazy 10 years from now and one of those fails and I have to tell a customer it is 3500 to fix. 3300 for the part and 200 for the labor!

Imagine how much each head light would be for one of those. 2200 a peice? At cost?

The imported from Detroit struff is also pretty pricy now. Had a customer with a late Buick come in for a tail light bulb only to find out the led tail light costs 600 before labor.

I wouldn't be surprised if it cost $3500 a light honestly. Plus then you'd need the software to program it. Customers would just have to get over the cost. However, what always pushed me away from moving towards A level tech was the responsibility of these repairs. What if you misdiagnose and sell someone a 3000 part only to not fix the problem. Or you damage the part installing it. All to make the shop a minimal 200, and you need a $100 ribe, xzn, 5 point torx,or other b.s. bit set to do it.

Auto repair industry is absolutely disgusting now. So glad I switched to truck fleet maintenance. 6 engines, 10 bodies, private parts room, and over 100 fellow mechanics in the district a phone call away should you need a second opinion.

in that back ground voice they use, " ...and break out your checkbook, this option is gonna cost you thousands ! "

LED's were a $1900 option that I skipped when I ordered my M3. The consensus among bimmerfiles is that the LEDs will transition to standard equipment and laser will be a $2500'ish option here in a few years. Bi-xenon HID's will have to do for me. I don't have the nerve to overdrive a 650 yard beam anyway, lol.

Bi-xenon HID's will have to do for me

^ more than enough for any driver, i just put in the Phillips X-treme vision 4800k bulbs into my wife's SRT8 Challenger and WOW :o also changed the fog bulbs to Sylvania ZXE's that are better than silver star's but they are not what Sylvania claims imo

http://i.imgur.com/9yjutUV.jpg

Interesting tech, but the complexity of the system will be it's weakness. Most lasers are not visible so I'm curious how laser increases the range of LED light, maybe the laser light acts as an energy source for amplification.

I bet the word "laser" is deceptive, lasers are used as sensors for range finding and detecting oncoming traffic in conjunction with the cameras, then telling the LED lights what to do in each situation. Shining a real laser at any living thing's eyes would be very dangerous.

The "organic light" tail lights are pretty fancy with the animated lighting sequences and all that. The luxos have to stay unique somehow.

Interesting tech, but the complexity of the system will be it's weakness. Most lasers are not visible so I'm curious how laser increases the range of LED light, maybe the laser light acts as an energy source for amplification.

No. Most consumer grade are visable. You're thinking of not seeing the beam through the air. The beam has to bounce off something in the air like dust for you to see it. There are lasers in almost every color. Visable and non visable light spectrums. With a beam splitter you can turn any laser into a flood lamp. Or only illuminate what you want to.

I bet the word "laser" is deceptive, lasers are used as sensors for range finding and detecting oncoming traffic in conjunction with the cameras, then telling the LED lights what to do in each situation. Shining a real laser at any living thing's eyes would be very dangerous.

Nope, that's just hype. Laser pointers for example aren't dangerous. They are no worse than going outside without sunglasses. Higher wattage lasers can be dangerous. But a higher watt laser split with a beam splitter into a flood light is no more dangerous than a regular car headlamp. Only highly focused high wattage beams are dangerous.

Look at it this way,

Sun on your hand doesn't hurt you. But focus the sun with a magnifying glass and you get burnt. The beam splitter does the opposite of the magnifying glass. It turns the focused laser into harmless light.

No. Most consumer grade are visable. You're thinking of not seeing the beam through the air. The beam has to bounce off something in the air like dust for you to see it. There are lasers in almost every color. Visable and non visable light spectrums. With a beam splitter you can turn any laser into a flood lamp. Or only illuminate what you want to.

Nope, that's just hype. Laser pointers for example aren't dangerous. They are no worse than going outside without sunglasses. Higher wattage lasers can be dangerous. But a higher watt laser split with a beam splitter into a flood light is no more dangerous than a regular car headlamp. Only highly focused high wattage beams are dangerous.

Look at it this way,

Sun on your hand doesn't hurt you. But focus the sun with a magnifying glass and you get burnt. The beam splitter does the opposite of the magnifying glass. It turns the focused laser into harmless light.

Very aware of the laser tech, was exposed to it starting back in 1982 when pops brought home a small industrial laser from the job. I am of course talking about focused laser light, not diffused light. Any light can be focused into a higher intensity but not any light has the energy of a laser, and typically diffusing laser light is the opposite of the desired application. Excluding toys like the pointers, lasers with any real power are very bad for retinas. In the laser labs I've been in, the engineers wore black glass goggles that you can look at the sun with. They'd fire up the laser and I'd watch it bounce off of all the mirrors bolted to the table, tweak the mirrors and send the beam here and there. Yep, a very cool place for a young kid to hang out and learn.

In this application it seems more gimmick than practicality. LED tech is still progressing and far cheaper than the use of laser light for illumination. Looking at the video it seems that the laser's application here is as a sensing/scanning array, but not much detail there. Then again, it's a trade show presentation.