Abortion: murder or not?

patra_is_here

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murder. No question. There's the "Can't live w/o the mother" argument that's weak @ best. The elderly can't live w/o care. Should we bump them off too when they become inconvenient?

Also IB4L

ya it doesnt make sense'' if someone hit a pregnant lady and the baby dies''thats murder but if some chic gets drunk one night and sleeps with the football team,oh well,i guess its time to go see the doc.what ever you want to call whats living inside both women.theyre still the same.theyre equal.try telling someone whos had a miscarriage they shouldnt be upset because it wasnt really a baby anyway.

Not murder.

Depending on the situation...I mean if its pretty well developed them I could see how some people would have a problem with it. But like patra said if it lacks a lot of the features and/or developed internals then I am for it.

*p.s. patra make a poll on stim cell research :P

I understand both sides of the story, and, my thought about it is...

If the woman is plenty able to be a good mother, and, to actually want and care for the child, but, decides to get an abortion....I see that as wrong.

However, if some bimbo got knocked up, only to have the child and it not have a good home, and grow up to be a criminal or a druggie cause it saw mommy do it....

Now, that chick should get an abortion, and I believe it would be fair, to be honest, for the good of the child.

So, I'll go right down the middle on that.

Not murder but with stipulations...I think all options should be looked at prior to abortion. For the idiots out there including men, I think that Plan B should be more widely advertised. Plan B is 50 bucks and you dont require a prescription if your over 18.

What makes me sick is those people that adopt from foreign countries when there are children here in America that need a loving family.

The things most of you people eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner have more emotions and consciousness than a fetus. The reasons we justify eating meat are things like animals are not self aware and are therefore not conscious. Well, as it turns out, animals are conscious. Im pretty sure fetuses are not conscious, and Im positive they are not conscious before they have a nervous system. I believe killing any animal (humans included) that have a developed nervous system and are conscious, is wrong. I do not believe killing unconscious animals, especially ones which have not yet developed a nervous system, should be considered until we take the needs of the conscious first.

So war, poverty, factory farming, should be considered first before abortion IMO.

Allow me to interject on the "It doesn't have a consciousness," argument. The word that's missing in these sentences is "yet."

I've heard silly arguments like "Oh, then is it wrong for me to get rid of a wart? It can't survive w/o being attached to me!" A wart will never become a human being. Same w/ an egg alone, or a sperm alone. This is the only combination that if left alone will create life. Abortion actively stops the natural process in a way birth control doesn't.

Birth control keeps the materials for life from combining to create life. Abortion stops a life that's already being created.

EDIT: "So war, poverty, factory farming, should be considered first before abortion IMO." Seriously? War, poverty and all those things are bigger than one person's decision. I can't stop war or poverty. I can take part or take part in protest, but I alone can't decide the event's outcome. But if I were to become pregnant(for argument's sake) I alone can chose to allow life to live. China's forced "population control" is barbaric, but "uteral freedom" isn't? Seriously?

The value of life continues to be cheapened by the hour.

Edited by Mazarin

Abortion actively stops the natural process in a way birth control doesn't.

The fact that something is so called natural doesnt dictate how right or wrong it is. All sorts of things are "natural" even though they are considered wrong. Generally speaking, the right thing to do is usually the thing that involves fighting any natural urges you have.

In my opinion morals should be based primarily on not inflicting, or even allowing, the pain and suffering of others. So if a fetus has no nervous system, it can not feel pain. The moral priority should be to those who already exist, and not those who do not yet exist (IMO, if you do not have a nervous system "you" do not yet exist).

The value of life continues to be cheapened by the hour.

Pretty sure 1/4 lb is 99 cents or less. And theres pain and suffering that youre paying to support there.

many people think "abortion" means sucking a baby out with a vacuum or some other gruesome example, but, the truth of the matter, MOST abortions aren't even close to ANYTHING that could be considered a human being. they are simply a bunch of cells. unfeeling. no existence. no nervous system. no nothing.

also, the argument that it could grow into a human is irrelevant. we don't need more humans. and, the human it grows into could be an ax murderer, a rapist, a drug addict, or something beneficial to society. the point being, the fact that it could grow gives it NO value whatsoever, because, it's NOT grown. the "what if" argument is completely fallible and shouldn't be given the slightest consideration.

heck, would you try a woman with murder if she had a miscarriage?

Edited by patra_is_here

how can any thinking person come up with .... the child will be like it's parents

man thats so stupid,,sorry if any one takes that as a put down,,but ones parents don't make you the person you grow up to be , that line of reasoning leads to only those with a college education and makeing X amount of money should be alow'd to have kids

what if that was YOU growing what would your vote be ?

my thoughts not that my opionion matter but here it is

1)if you just have unprotected sex and opppppssss get prego touch cookies deal with the baby perioddddd

2)if your rapped by a man or mutiple men then you have a right too get a abortion

heck, would you try a woman with murder if she had a miscarriage?

i think this has been done a lady in her 8th month intentionly did some thing to kill her unborn and the state try'd her for murder , and rightfuly so imho

Is it murder? That's a fine line to a lot of people. But for me? As I stand right now, and have all my life, I will never make the decision to abort a child of mine. I value life, but at the same time I will not tell anybody else what they can or can't do with their life/body/family. But I do have a solution.

We put it to a vote, nationwide. If you vote pro-choice, go home you're done. If you vote pro-life/anti-abortion, your name goes on a list. If abortion gets outlawed, every time an unwanted baby is born they pick a name from that list, lottery style, and award that person the child to raise and be physically, morally, and financially responsible for until that child turn 18. With a mandatory college education for the child as a guarantee that he/she will grow up to be a responsible member of society.

Can you imagine the 60 year old couple that's just a few years from retirement getting the knock on the door to see DCFS standing there with a crack baby that THEY now have to raise?

Eh, this thread will be open until it turns into an insulting pissing match. I give it to the end of the 2nd page before myself or Jimmy have to delete it.
$20 says it will go 3 pages before the pissing ensues, any takers ?