What’s the difference between G54b heads?

I’m looking on EBay for a new head. There’s a complete head listed there( several of the same from different vendors) as a g54b sohc head for a 2.6 for around 500 bucks.

When I click on the “ see if this fits your vehicle” it says it does not. What’s different about this head?

I believe the only differences between the heads are the valves and the cams. At a minimum, our turbo engines came with different exhaust valves that could handle the extra heat from boost. Non-turbo heads (like the one you linked) aren't going to have them. Also, those have mechanical rockers; if yours is an 87 or newer, you'll have hydraulic rockers/rocker arms.

And ditto, get a new head from Dad:
https://www.enginemachineservice.com/ems/index.php

1 hour ago, GoldStar said:

I believe the only differences between the heads are the valves and the cams. At a minimum, our turbo engines came with different exhaust valves that could handle the extra heat from boost. Non-turbo heads (like the one you linked) aren't going to have them. Also, those have mechanical rockers; if yours is an 87 or newer, you'll have hydraulic rockers/rocker arms.

And ditto, get a new head from Dad:
https://www.enginemachineservice.com/ems/index.php

The head is complete. I won’t have to use anything from my existing head. The oil in my engine came out as sludge/tar and the resulting visible wear to the mating surfaces on the cam/rockers is obvious. If the exhaust valve in the current head is different than this head, I’ll either use mine in that head, or buy the stainless valves that are listed on Dads website, and upgrade.

Mitsu isn’t making these heads anymore, so bare castings are sourced from other parts not of Japan, unless someone can correct me, even Dad has to be getting his castings from a Chinese foundry.

The only feedback I heard on those assembled heads is that some people complained that the rockers ate the cam.    Could have been too tight of a valve lash but also bad materials, etc.      I believe all of the feedback I saw was for the manual rocker ones, not sure if anyone had the same issue on a hydraulic rocker head.  

The earlier model cqs actually had slightly longer valves too, with the manual rockers.   Although the manual rockers work fine with the shorter valves because they can simply be adjusted.   I don't think I would try to use hydraulic rockers on the longer valves though.

Might be worth reaching out to Dad on here to talk with him a bit about all of this.  

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, kev said:

The only feedback I heard on those assembled heads is that some people complained that the rockers ate the cam.    Could have been too tight of a valve lash but also bad materials, etc.      I believe all of the feedback I saw was for the manual rocker ones, not sure if anyone had the same issue on a hydraulic rocker head.  

The earlier model cqs actually had slightly longer valves too, with the manual rockers.   Although the manual rockers work fine with the shorter valves because they can simply be adjusted.   I don't think I would try to use hydraulic rockers on the longer valves though.

Might be worth reaching out to Dad on here to talk with him a bit about all of this.  

Thanks for the advice. Give me enough free time however, and I will find something.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172713006008

Now,… do I start another thread about pistons, or can I just keep on going here?

Edited by Mike7447

If you want a complete head like that I can probably match that price, ( or close $525.00)   might even be the same head.  I don't push them since the exhaust valves are not stellite faced ( some companies will tell you they have turbo valves in them, but I suspect different due to the cost of the valves )   You will need to add Zinc cam break in additive to any of the heads  and break in the cam at fast rpm-     I don't like the solid cam pin,  and have seen at times they are a bit short, barely getting into the distributor gear.  OEM pin is a spring pin.       My heads are China heads, same heads I have been using for over  at least 12 years now.   I suggest   bare head and build up your head  if it's in your budget.    

Dad

2 hours ago, Dad said:

If you want a complete head like that I can probably match that price, ( or close $525.00)   might even be the same head.  I don't push them since the exhaust valves are not stellite faced ( some companies will tell you they have turbo valves in them, but I suspect different due to the cost of the valves )   You will need to add Zinc cam break in additive to any of the heads  and break in the cam at fast rpm-     I don't like the solid cam pin,  and have seen at times they are a bit short, barely getting into the distributor gear.  OEM pin is a spring pin.       My heads are China heads, same heads I have been using for over  at least 12 years now.   I suggest   bare head and build up your head  if it's in your budget.    

Dad

Thank you for your reply sir, I appreciate your input.

I purchased that head because after hours of searching, and changing my search phrasing, that head was the only one of two heads that came up as fitting a Starion. The other was a bare casting at 630.00.

In truth I wasn’t expecting to have to replace the head, neither was I expecting to have to pull the entire engine apart, but here I am.  

If I just assume that the valves aren’t properly heat treated or hardened, I assume I can buy the right valves from you. Is there a way to know/tell if the ex valve is inadequate?

So I buy the head and I thought the listing was worth sharing.

*As per their description:

YES EVERYTHING IS NEW THE HEAD CASTING, CAM, THE VALVES, THE SPRINGS, THE RETAINERS , THE ROCKER SHAFTS , THE ROCKERS AND LIFTERS  EVERYTHING.....

THIS  IS THE Mechanical VERSION. WE ONLY SELL THE NON JET VALVE VERSION CYLINDER HEAD WHICH FITS STARION CONQUEST MONTERO  RAIDER  D50/RAM OR MAZDA 2600. THIS IS NOT THE chrysler factory HEAD. THIS HEAD IS MADE OF A FAR BETTER ALLOY, HAS EXTRA COOLING PASSAGES, AND IS THICKER AND STRONGER IN ALL THE CRITICAL AREAS. FITS YEARS 1981 TO 1986.”

When was it ever a Chrysler factory head?🤪

They claimed to have several in stock, and are located one day ship time from me, But  when I get the purchase confirmation, ship time is guesstimated to be 2-3 weeks.

I write the guy:

Good afternoon. I purchased this head from you yesterday. Looking over the shipping turn times, you are stating that the head will take 2 to 3 weeks to deliver, but the ad listing states that several are in stock.
Wondering as to why the delay.
Secondly the head is listed as being model correct for the Starion. Are the exhaust valves the correct valves w/regard to their heat tolerance rating?
Thanks. I appreciate you.”
Mike

He replies quickly:

New message from: odessa*cylinderhead (15,687YELLOW_SHOOTING_STAR Star)

SHIPPING TONIGHT

But……what about question#2….?

I ask him again about the valves in another email.

To which he replies;

BRAND NEW HEAVY DUTY.

what the hell does that mean other than they are brand new? Does heavy duty mean it’s the right valve for the turbocharged version of this engine?

These guys are supposed to be a cylinder head shop only. You’d think I’d get a more intelligent answer than brand new, heavy duty.