New to the forum and ready to get intimate again with the Conquest.

SuperSnake79

I owned one for a few years as my first car right out of high school and it was a love-hate relationship, but I am back to loving this car again.  I just bought an 87 wide body red TSI on BAT and will have it delivered here this week.  I wanted to get a car that my teenager and I can work on as a project car and would love to know what tips and tricks are suggested to get the best power out of these cars.  I like to drive fast and currently have a Ford Shelby SS and GR86 so would love to have power between those two machines.  Look forward to becoming part of the community again.

Several of us were watching that car on BaT.  Pretty good pick up - it looked good in the pics.

If you want more power there's a couple routes you can go.  Convert the car over to MPI and Megasquirt has been very popular - however it can be tough to find the parts to do the conversion and does require some customization.

If you want to just keep the stock setup you can do some research on MAF-T tuning.

The other thing you can do is an engine swap if you're so inclined.  

However, before you do anything go over the car completely and do any routine maintenance that needs to be done.  As I'm sure you are well aware, these cars are old, a rare bird, and have very little support (other than this community/other owners).  So make sure the powerplant is ready to go before you start trying to make power.

Welcome to (or back to) the club.  Lot of great people and knowledge here.  

13 hours ago, techboy said:

Several of us were watching that car on BaT.  Pretty good pick up - it looked good in the pics.

If you want more power there's a couple routes you can go.  Convert the car over to MPI and Megasquirt has been very popular - however it can be tough to find the parts to do the conversion and does require some customization.

If you want to just keep the stock setup you can do some research on MAF-T tuning.

The other thing you can do is an engine swap if you're so inclined.  

However, before you do anything go over the car completely and do any routine maintenance that needs to be done.  As I'm sure you are well aware, these cars are old, a rare bird, and have very little support (other than this community/other owners).  So make sure the powerplant is ready to go before you start trying to make power.

Welcome to (or back to) the club.  Lot of great people and knowledge here.  

Sound advice and I will go over everything before doing any upgrades or mods.  I know the fuel gauge not working will be the first thing on my list.  Thank you for the warm welcome.

There are quite a few knowledgeable people on this board who will help you spend your money get your car looking and running great. 😄 Seriously, just looking through some of the restoration projects is getting me in trouble because I'm wanting to do the same!

I watched that auction as well. I watch all the Conquest auctions out of curiosity.

If you didn't realize it, you'll be asked A LOT "what is that?" I have a silver one that has been called a Delorean far more times than someone actually knew what it is. 

She made it home and a bit rougher than expected.  I've been searching for a power steering pump or rebuild kit foot the past hour.  Any advice on where to get a pump or rebuild kit? Didn't expect that to be something that was broke but I'm sure there's more to come.

https://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/8019-20230912_205707jpg/

9 minutes ago, SuperSnake79 said:

She made it home and a bit rougher than expected.  I've been searching for a power steering pump or rebuild kit foot the past hour.  Any advice on where to get a pump or rebuild kit? Didn't expect that to be something that was broke but I'm sure there's more to come.

https://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/8019-20230912_205707jpg/

I'm going through these places now, looks like Japan direct is only active one. 

https://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/150163-power-steering-pump-options/

7 hours ago, ssblast20 said:

None of those websites that show direct Japan inventory are legit - they will all contact you weeks later saying “out of stock”. Send yours off to be rebuilt or buy a core unit to have rebuilt. You can send it to these guys  https://www.straightlinesteering.com

-Steve 

Thanks for this!

• 2 months later...