Gauges what do you prefer??

Gauges what do you prefer?

Mechanicle or electronic?

Any particular brand?

What's the best?

Just need some and don't think I'm going to go the prosport way or autometer.

Might go autometer but thinking about Pro Spek which I believe is autometer.

Thoughts and opinions would be nice.

I personally have started using Prosport gauges. They are very affordable and have good reviews. They come in tons of different styles and color options, and you can get them in the cheap mechanical style all the way to full electronic with sweep event at startup. I have several and plan on ordering more in the near future.

Linky --> http://prosportgauges.com/

P.S. Yea I know you said you prefered not to go with Prosport but hey, its my honest answer.

Edited by speedyquest

AutoMeter is the way I'd go. Biggest fish in the pond, so the prices are a little better for the quality you get. I prefer electronic gauges, but they are really pricey. The only thing I wouldn't get from them is the speedo and the wideband gauge. Not because the ones they have are bad quality, but because I'd want a digital gps based speedo, and I'd rather go AEM on the wideband. Speaking of AEM, their gauges are good as well, I've had good experiences with them. Although the selection is limited.

I have a PLX setup in one car and its different than just about everything else out there. The displays are <1/2" thick and communicate by a serial bus with the sensor modules. You can have as many or as few displays and sensors as you like. Right now I have two displays and three sensors (wideband, boost/vac, and fluid temp). I'd like to add an EGT sensor sometime, but I"ll stick with just the two displays. Each display can be configured differently and includes "warning" system that can monitor up to two sensors. Right now I have one display showing AFR and one showing boost, with the warning criteria for both set to my fluid temp sensor so that if my trans gets above the set point the displays will flash.

Its pretty neat in what they can do, but there are some quirks... the vac/boost display is always in inches, which never seems right to me for vac. The other problem I had was with the serial bus being real touchy for interference. It took me a couple of different routing to get it working right.

Everything I have (boost, fuel pressure, voltage, wideband) is prosport. Ive only had one issue with them, and they replaced it (the fuel pressure gauge) free of charge. They even paid for shipping. They are all electronic minus the boost gauge.

Prosports are junk. I had them for 2 years worked great then would go crazy at random. Sent them back to the company to have them tested, they said they were fine, I re wired them several times.. still problematic. They would not replace them not give me a discount for a new set. Customer service was very poor. You get what you pay for. I use auto meter now. Edited by Convette

Auto meter in my car. I chose ultra light II, for oil press and water temp. Ultra lite for boost. Wish I had gotten the II for boost as well as the lighting is better.

Go with an electrical oil pressure gauge for sure. I don't like the idea of a thin plastic tube of pressurized hot oil running through the fire wall and into the cabin of the car.

I just recently bought autometer gauges from jegs oil,volts and electrical water temp.

I couldn't get the water temp one to work.so I bought a mechanical water temp. work fine.

I used Autometer gauges for probably a decade. Then I switched everything over to ProSport b/c I thought they were "cooler" with the dancing lights at start up and all that. Then ... I had the same problems as Convette - about 2 years later they got all crazy, I tried rewiring them and a few other things. Eventually sold them off and went back to Autometer. No problems. I do have an AEM wideband though.

Autometer here. They checked out a few gauges I bought used off ebay for a fraction of new, without needing original receipt. Even recalibrated and replaced the faceplate on one for $15 IIFC.

Went with full line of basic original SportComp series - looks great with the Starion interior IMO and more affordable line than most. Mostly mech. except for fuel press, voltage, & speedo by necessity.

Wideband is the digital Innovate setup. Hoping they've worked through their bugs as I've seen several fail & need replacing.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/14392/gauge_3_1.JPG

Edited by mstieg

That looks amazing !

where did you get the mounting plate for the gauges?

or did you make it?

Thanks! A buddy of mine works at a CNC shop. He also made an adapter plate for my T56 trans swap. Check the link in my signature for more pics and thread. I have a few first runs left.

Edited by mstieg