Mookeeh exhaust

87TSiStock

True if you can find a shop that does mandrel, but it ain't going to be stainless.

I got a quote from a shop near me that does mandrel bending. Their quote was $400 for stainless. That's why I posted it.

I built my own exhaust out of stainless and the pipe + mandrel bends was about $100. Most of that cost was the mandrel bends. Cost of pipe would be cheaper if I just got a 10' section of pipe and bent it myself instead of an 8' section of pipe and 5 mandrel bends. But I don't have the bending equipment.

A non mandrel regular exhaust steel system from turbo back will run $400 easy here, non-mandrel. $80/hour labor plus muffler, flex, ss piping, etc. A 3" flex section can run $50 at a shop alone. A decade ago they were around $300.

Obviously if the OP could weld his own up he wouldn't be asking about pricing though but DIY is always cheaper because you don't charge yourself for labor....

• 2 weeks later...
The Mookie 'B' pipe does exist , i have one , if you email Mr M Ja at 101Propose and ask he'll sell you one if he has any available , that's how got mine, he has put them up for sale on Ebay in the past but very rarely . Edited by SOTTY

Interesting........never seen one.

Something of a rarity but they exist , 'B' pipe / off road use only deal , drop M Ja at Mookie/101Propose an email, ask and if your lucky you shall receive , fits like a glove between the new or old design Mookie 3'' down pipe and the rest of the cat back system , the missing link if you wish to call it that , its a nice system , I'm very happy with mine. Edited by SOTTY

nope not at all over kill.

i drove cross country from NY to California with the 3 inch turbo back.

its a good investment for future mods.

the next mod should be porting the exhaust manifold to turbo opening.

it is a bottle neck for sure. it is time consuming but a good free mod if

you have the time to do it.

PM'D pertaining this detail. Totally off-topic, just ignore this message :P

Something of a rarity but they exist , 'B' pipe / off road use only deal , drop M Ja at Mookie/101Propose an email, ask and if your lucky you shall receive , fits like a glove between the new or old design Mookie 3'' down pipe and the rest of the cat back system , the missing link if you wish to call it that , its a nice system , I'm very happy with mine.

Absolutely true. Several years back, they did a large group buy for us with 4 options for full exhaust systems, between polished or regular stainless and 2.5" or 3" with and or without a muffler was also another option. I have one from that GB and it is a nice setup. In their B pipe, there is a resonator can instead of the cat which is what makes it off road use only, but unless you are in Cali or some other very strict emissions state, you wont have a problem with it.

Stupidish question, but what is the advantage of a mandrel bending/what exactly is it?

Mandrel bent tubing is a process where an inner spring or set of dies is inserted into the tubing before and during the bending process. This keeps to inside of the radius from caving in and causing a kink in the metal which creates drag on the exhaust gases and a lesser performing exhaust. You can see a lot of different examples of the comparison here at google images. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=775&q=mandrel+bent+vs+crush+bent&oq=mandrel+bent&gs_l=img.1.5.0l6j0i24l4.1137.4607.0.8178.14.13.1.0.0.0.82.825.13.13.0.msedrc...0...1ac.1.56.img..0.14.826.bAcfII9XfsY

Hope that answers your question.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

So the smoother the pipe the better the flow... Makes sense.

Easiest way to say it is your exhaust is only as big as the smallest part. Mandrel bends keep the diameter of the tube the same at the bends, non-mandrel bends pinch the tube some. When I had no access to mandrel bends back in the day I would get the tubing a 1/2" larger than needed to compensate for the pinched bends.

that was kinda the next part on what would be the best way to tune it this is all stuff that will happen just not at this moment just getting ideas and thanks just getting a lot of new info i need to learn the ways of forced induction

All the TD05 standard upgrades like the Super16G bolt right on, you can run one with minor mods if your car is healthy. The problem is, Mitsu turbos are getting scarce for Starions these days and expensive. Other options like T4 flanged turbos will require either an adapter for the exhaust manifold or a different exhaust manifold, and modified downpipe at the least.

• 9 years later...

I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.  Does the TEP 2.5in downpipe bolt up to the Mookeeh 2.5in catback exhaust system?  Someone told me that the TEP downpipe utilizes the stock cat's ball and socket design for flex, however the Mookeeh exhaust uses a flat flange...this concerns me as I just bought both the TEP pipe and Mookeeh system and was expecting to be able to bolt them together no problems.  Can someone help me with this? Thanks.

Coke

Coke!! Your still out there! Wow. Good to see you.

I bought a downpipe years ago that someone told me was a TEP. Doesn't mean it was though. It had a flat flange and it bolted up to my Mookeeh 2.5 cat back just fine - which I bought new.  I don't want to give you false hope. Were you not able to see online pics of the DP you bought from TEP?

It should work for either.   I also have a downpipe that was given to me with my driver quest, that I believe to be a TEP but can't confirm.   It has the chamfer seat which allows mating to the factory exhaust (which is how I have it installed) but it has a two bolt flange which should work fine with a standard 2.25" 2 bolt exhaust gasket.    I think you should be OK.