I have a dream...

Technology

That one day, I can buy a wrecked GTR and put the driveline and interior gadgets in a flatsider starquest, but with a VK56VD v8 with two 6266 ball bearing turbos on it instead of the stock 3.8tt motor.

Some might say impossible. But the only thing that is impossible is something you can't dream up a solution for.

Dream big..... I see using a V8 and 4wd out of a truck as being cheaper, more avalable, and way less electronic stuff to work out as a better option first...... but by all means dream big.

All that electronic stuff does more and does it better than any more manual system could. That's why it would be cool. I'm definitely not daunted by wiring or making electronics work.

You will be when you find out it's all coded in Hex, and you will not only have to figure out how to crack the system but then convert all your coding to Hex.... the wiring is a snap. The systems tripping out from being disconnected from each other during install and not having a factory level coder and the source code to work from is more the issue.

Dreaming and not thinking are very different. Cars like that are designed from the ground up by people with degrees from mit and such. Your looking at a six figure budget and need a team consisting of a computer science type engineer and someone trained to work on these to get this built. Even then, it wont handle right because the system wasnt designed to be compatible with an 80s brick. Take a couple of turns and I wont be surprised if the computers sense a weight and handling problem and the dash becoms a christmas tree of lights.

A subaru platorm in a starion... that alone would be impressive

Heres my dream as an example. I want a semi fuel friendly muscle car that I can daily drive and use as a ski car. So 70s Javelin running a stroked jeep 4.0 with an Eagle 4x4 driveline is in the works. Mostly a bolt on job. Thats a dream. Yours is just was too far out. Just sayin buddy.

You will be when you find out it's all coded in Hex, and you will not only have to figure out how to crack the system but then convert all your coding to Hex.... the wiring is a snap. The systems tripping out from being disconnected from each other during install and not having a factory level coder and the source code to work from is more the issue.

This. If you aren't fluent with the CanBus architecture and language then you are in for a big surprise

lol, if you're afraid of a car computer, you shouldn't work on cars. I don't have to understand how USB works to plug in my wireless mouse or an external hard drive. It's just one type of operating system, and much simpler than actual computers. Plus there are thousands of tuning options, people with know-how and tuners that can help with an problem that arises.

Also that thing about 80's brick and new tech not understanding that it's in a lighter body. What if you were to lighten a GTR by 1000 lbs. You mean it wouldn't turn properly after that? lol

Not understanding usb and still using it = having a gtr and changing your own oil and brakes.

Taking a usb port and soldering/wiring it into a computer/motherboard from the 90s that didnt have it invented yet and programing the operating system to accept and run it = this dream project.

Example. I'm looking to get a Jag S type. Only something like 500 came into the US in stick. So considered doing a stick shift swap. Well, you cant. The various computers are so interconected that it just wont run without the input of the tranny it was programed for. It will go into 5mph lockout mode instantly. Make sense?

And reagrding lightening the gtr? Yeah it will offset the handling. I dont know anything about the gtr,but do know the s60r. The volvo comes with a fully adjustable electronic suspension that changes the shock stiffness at 1/500th? of a seconds notice. Its designed to work within a set table of tolerances. Take some significant weight out the car and hit the track. Suspension will not work as well. Not saying it wont work, just defeats the purpose. Why have a world class drive train that doesnt work right. It will just handle like a regular car with coilovers.

All the car examles I mentioned are sub $40k cars over 10years old. What do you think a $100k supercaris like to mess with. Theres a reason service departments charge $120+ an hour to touch such a car.

Edited by Malykaii

Also that thing about 80's brick and new tech not understanding that it's in a lighter body. What if you were to lighten a GTR by 1000 lbs. You mean it wouldn't turn properly after that? lol

Nissan already proved that, with the Juke R builds, and iirc, all they modified within the electronics and suspension subframes were the sway bars.

I say go for it, now get to it!