Get an alignment... end up with a blown headgasket...

mistapickles

I had an incident where a construction zone wasn't properly designated and came in fast on some really bumpy road, mad pull to the right and wobbly steering wheel from 40-60 mph. The construction company was really cool and said get a couple estimates, which I did. I go to the local Ted Wein's Automotive to get it looked at. My little battery is on it's last leg so sometimes you have to push start it, which I did for the mechanic who pulled it into the shop, I sat in the lobby. About 40 minutes later he comes to get me to show me what's up with my car and to my surprise my car is running while seven feet in the air. So I ask the guy if he's had my car running the whole time and he said yeah... I was like "bro, my fans are on a switch, this is really bad", he said it sounds ok but as I got closer I saw white smoke coming out of my exhaust. I'm like "bro, didn't you see the smoke pouring out the exhaust" but he said well it's cold outside then proceeded to show me some parts that were bent, then WOOSH... The radiator over flow dumped have a gallon of coolant on the ground.... "W"hisky "T"ango "F"oxtrot.... I yell at the dude to lower my car and not only is it the slowest lowering lift in the world, the door is six inches from the post so I can't open the door until the car is on the ground... I reach in to turn it off and it's all the way into the hot, like buried in the hot... I turn the fans on but it's like closing the coral gate after the horses have escaped... it cools down, then starts like normal. He says there nothing wrong with my car and to really check it out it needs to go on the alignment rack tomorrow. I'm pissed but I bring it back the next day, it feels weird to me. I tell them I want a compression test. They diagnose my steering problem but say my car just purged overflow.

The next day I start it up to warm it up and it smokes out my garage, I punch the gas a little and it goes away. The next day I take it to work and it idles a little funny and smokes... Later on that day it has a pulsating idle and now it's escalating it looks like I'm getting little whisps of steam coming off the radiator...

I take it back to the shop and demand a compression check. They do some check that sees if there is emissions gases in the coolant. Three tests one says blown head gasket two says not. It's amazing how you can go to get the simplest of things repaired and it turn in to a giant festering gay bear cluster f.........

That's why I don't trust "mechanics". I only go in for simple things like alignments but I watch them the whole time. Even smog checks. When I got my truck smogged a month or so ago I saw the guy upshift too high and make the engine struggle during the test. It passed barely but I think he was trying to make it fail to generate buisness for the shop next door.

Never trust mechanics. Sorry to say it but if you were watching him you would have caught his stupidity before it became a problem. There's no reason to have an engine running on an alignment rack.

That's blows king kong shlong! So now what? They gonna take responsibility? If it's a chain shop, you have better chances of something being done to remedy this situation.

If it's a mom and pops, better start getting familiar with small claims court.

Dont bring them a car that might not start? Dont bring them a car the YOU put an ON/OFF switch on and expect them to magically know.

You sound like the guy dropping off a warped head and requesting your money back because they did what you asked.

Bro, it sounds like your fault bro. Sucks. Next time turn the fans on when you bring it to them.

• Like 1

It's a big chain out here, I'm pretty sure they're going to take care of it, they've done work on my Infiniti and I've got tires for my Starion and Infiniti. the thing that sucks is I wanted to bring it to California next week and this won't be resolved by then.

Dont bring them a car that might not start? Dont bring them a car the YOU put an ON/OFF switch on and expect them to magically know.

You sound like the guy dropping off a warped head and requesting your money back because they did what you asked.

Bro, it sounds like your fault bro. Sucks. Next time turn the fans on when you bring it to them.

the car started, it just had a weak battery... I have never in my life seen a mechanic leave a car running while checking the suspension, other than a lazy tail who didn't want to walk and get a jump box after. When people are doing engine work on the car, I either leave them on or tell them about it but when you're working on the wheels, turn it off. The car doesn't have cats, it stinks like hell, it even is hard to drive behind so I know he was just a lazy tail. Unless YOUR car needs to be on to check the alignment??? Is it drive by wire like a Prius or something???

i worked for an oil/tire/alignment chain a long time ago....there is no reason to keep the car running once the car is on the rack for an alignment....the car is off and left in neutral and the wheels are chocked

that being said...if your car has special exceptions and attentions....it's your responsibility to give that info to the techs

Edited by Walker

I think you some what right there..... Put it on a temp switch....... you can still have it wired up to a switch just make a fail safe next time. I have done that on a few of mine. If you don't want it on a lot get a high temp switch.

Edited by TainterRacing

Car is older than most techs Pickles, can't trust them to understand squat, especially if you've got "special" switches. Sucks but you have to stay on top of modern service guys/gals.

I had a friend with an RX7 that was rigged with switches on the fans. I told him that idea makes me worried. Something similar happened to him. While it can be a quick fix, unplanned things can make it a mistake.

That sucks man.

Edited by Cloud81918

I don't intend on keeping the motor as I'm doing an LSA and T56 swap next year and I don't drive it too often or far, so the switch suited me fine. Anybody who tells me you need to run a car for 40 minutes to check the suspension on a Starion and the guy was justified doing what he did because he didn't want to get a jump box or roll the car down the hill out the front of the shop has specious input... If you just want to be argumentative, cool, I'm available for arguing religion politics and sex via pm... but don't tell me you need the car on to check suspension...

That sucks man. I don't even allow them to pull it in. If they refuse, I leave.. until I find a place that works with me.

they've done other work for me, just my regular guy wasn't there and I figured hey, this guy isn't even fixing anything yet, just looking underneath the car. Now I need to get a place with my own lift and alignment machine because I can't even trust that to people. Judging by some of the responses about leaving the car on, on a lift seven feet in the air to check the suspension it's a plague...

I had a tire shop darn near cost me my tow truck, they endangered my life and that of those around me.

They replaced a flat rear tire. I saw the guy fall asleep torquing the lug nuts with the 1" Impact gun, you know the big one that looks like a machine gun that the terminator would carry.

Idiot stripped all my lug nuts, said nothing to me and sent me off. 18 miles away I loaded 6 thousand pounds of building material. As I was getting close to fwy entrance I heard the rear rims slapping.

Imagine I had gotten in the fwy with that load? That idiot cost me $24X 10 for lug nuts, $14X 10 for studs and couple hundred for road side service.

I trust no one now. I keep an eye on them now.

This is both the fault of you, and the mechanic.

My hand brake does not work, so I have a sticker on it that says so.

Turbo timer, I point it out, always.

This is like that one story where guy had auto start on his manual mustang, took it for service, they used it on a car while in gear. Car drove in to a ditch. Whos fault is it more? Guy for installing auto start on a manual, or service for using the feature?

I agree that the tech was just being lazy.

That said, as absurd as it sounds... yes, you shouldn't let anyone that is not intimately familiar with these cars touch them. I deal with shops all the time in a professional capacity, and I've only ever found one that I would trust with even basic repairs. It was a small shop that worked on vintage exotics and imports, and I not only knew all the techs, but had worked there previously. Even techs used to working on 80's Lamborghinis, Alfas, and Jaguars weren't up to handling heavy maintenance on this car.

Not that I'm implying you're completely responsible. Any good tech shouldn't idle a car unnecessarily like like that. But I can't say I'm surprised that a big chain shop possibly screwed up your ride through laziness. It's not the first time, it won't be the last.

Something similar happened when a bunch of guys were getting their cars shipped from Chicago to California. They all hired 1 truck to take all the cars to the event. Well they were all swapped drift cars and the driver started a car and let it run for 30 minutes while he was loading other with half the systems not powered on the car left sitting and blew the motor.

Owned my starion for almost 23 years... Other than some warranty repairs when I first bought it it had never been to a mechanic...even when I brought it back to the dealer(bought used from a GM dealership) they just threw parts at it hopeing to fix it and when it still was not up to my standards they told me it was fine... I called the better business bureau on them and they sent it to a mitsubisi dealer to be fixed properly on their dime...even the qualified ASE mechanic had no clue how to troubleshoot this car and this was 1992 when there was plenty of these around... It's even harder these days cause these cars are older than most techs working on them....

Gig out

If there was even a remote possibility that someone will be working on my car AND may have to run it at all, I would have the fans switched ON or advise the tech they need to be on. Sorry to see this happen to you, but too many holes in this story. Too easy to blame other people that assume that your car is operating properly. Because it should have been!

Dad

• Like 1

Thing is, you can have an ignition-switched 12v signal going to a manually switched relay for the fans. Just leave them on, and you know they'll turn off if the ignition is off, preserving the battery, which you know should have been replaced long, long ago.

Techs always go by the book, that's how they were trained, so you have to make your car appear to be normal.

The best thing I did (I think) was to make my MPI car acceptable to 80% or more of drivers. Anyone could jump in, start it and drive it with relative ease. It also made 500hp. It takes more than the average bolt-on mindset to do something like that with a starquest, or many old cars. Creativity comes into play a lot, and also thinking about others. If you ever plan to have the car worked on by someone other than yourself, you have to account for that in your build.

All that said, sorry your HG is blown, and the head is probably S-H-youknowtherest.

Thing is, you can have an ignition-switched 12v signal going to a manually switched relay for the fans. Just leave them on, and you know they'll turn off if the ignition is off, preserving the battery, which you know should have been replaced long, long ago.

Techs always go by the book, that's how they were trained, so you have to make your car appear to be normal.

The best thing I did (I think) was to make my MPI car acceptable to 80% or more of drivers. Anyone could jump in, start it and drive it with relative ease. It also made 500hp. It takes more than the average bolt-on mindset to do something like that with a starquest, or many old cars. Creativity comes into play a lot, and also thinking about others. If you ever plan to have the car worked on by someone other than yourself, you have to account for that in your build.

All that said, sorry your HG is blown, and the head is probably S-H-youknowtherest.

I never let anybody touch my car except for myself and MPGorBOOST except for mounting tires and alignments I don't have that equipment its just really a damn shame. Sure, if my car was liable to overheat in the time it took to get the car on the lift then yeah they need to know but this is lazy. I used to teach ASE Collision courses and talked to one of the ASE mechanic instructors and he said no mechanic that's worth a damn would let the car run like that on a lift if it wasn't necessary. Any seasoned mechanic would limit their exposure to finding problems other problems that could get blamed on them while the car was in his care by doing only what's necessary and running the car isn't necessary. I guess this is a situation where the novices are separated from the experienced.... Don't do extra...lol

What probably happened is he left it running to charge up the battery not knowing it was going to overheat. Can't watch the gauges when it's on a lift. BUT, if he was paying attention he should have noticed the electric fans never came on.

When I work on a friend/neighbors car especially the first time I watch for the fans as it warms up. I don't want to be responsible for their engine destruction.