Drifting is Awesome! Racing is Awesome! That is All . . .

David Adams

*sigh*

Okay I lied. . .

Small vent:

Those who know me know I've been doing motorsports for a long time, mostly drifting. It's with great honor that I finally have this opportunity to say that I've been doing motorsports for a "long time" (got into drifting back in 02 when I was in Japan but didn't really start hitting the track until 5 years ago).

Anyway, the purpose of this is just to inspire and spark some discussion on what everyone's (everyponys? LOL) opinion is on motorsports and how they tie in with each other. I enjoy ALL motorsports, from drifting to drag racing. I have never been drag racing myself but have been with friends who have some WICKEDLY fast cars and I see how much throttle and steering control they need to get them down the line with a good E.T. (phone home).

Sorry I can't help myself.

I recently renewed my membership (after 4 years of inactivity) with the SCCA and NASA and hope to finally begin pursuit of my novice permits in both sanctions. I had a few buddies ask why I would worry about "grip stuff" when my focus is drifting. I said because there is a lot to be learned from both aspects in terms of car control. Also, I enjoy the feeling of speed that really can't be replicated with drifting. Yeah drifting is like a constant sideways free fall and I've enjoyed it, but there's something to be said about riding someone's bumper at 120 all the way up to a turn then having to break it down into 2nd gear in hopes that you'll break just one micro-second later and can pass them on the inside with some clever apexing.

So yeah, where are my drifters? Where are my grip racers? Where are my drag racers? Weigh in, I'm curious to see what everyone feels about the other motorsports. Why do people feel so much hate towards drifters? Why is there so much hate towards drag racers? Why don't the grip racers get any hate at all, LOL!

Sorry for the long-winded post. Other than my intro and broken Derpy thread, I think this is the longest post I've ever made :(

I did the drifting thing from 2003 - 2009. My first event was DG Trials DOW #2... actually 10 years ago TODAY. That group eventually became Club Loose. Met all these dudes like Petty, The Turecks, JR Gittin, Forsberg, Tony Angelo among others when they were still drifting their daily drivers / mom's car. Admittedly, they were already amazing 10 years ago and only got better over time. Still amazes me that those dudes are THE pros now.

Did NJ events as often as I could. Started doing US Drift events like Hyperfest and the old ones down in Richmond and VIR. Spun a bearing at Charlotte at the end of the 2003 season and then did a 4G63 swap that winter. Helped get my friend Matt's car going for Formula Drift back in... '05 or '06 with MA-Motorsports right around the time they were switching from Hondas to drift cars. It was a fun time and served me pretty well at building my confidence back after college. I moved to DC after traveling for 6 months in 2008. DC was fun, but its impossible to have a car down there, let alone work on it. Tried for a while, but couldn't justify driving an hour to the shop every weekend when there were perfectly good women with accents inviting me out to drink. The car did win out quite a few weekends though. Refined my swap at least once in there, but only managed to hit two events. One event I lost power steering due to a loose bolt early in the day and then a few months later at another event I kicked a rod out the side of the block on my first run. That was it. I was done.

One time in 2011 I thought it would be fun to give it another go. I looked at the Club Loose rule book and realized it would take at least a few grand to get it back on track and it just didnt make sense. I decided to get rid of what I could including 3 chassis and then bought a relatively clean Conquest to swap all the race parts over to for a fun street car. Spent a year working on it and then bought a house so it just sits now at about 90% complete. Not planning on giving up though. Once I get caught up on my home renovations, I'm planning on finishing it up. Would be fun to run some Club Loose events again in B-Group.

I love drifting, but hate the crowd that it brings now. Stupid f-ing kids that were born in the 90's but rep the 80s looking like a bunch of d-bags. Neon wheels and retarded attitudes. Now they feed off the hate and use it to make their jeans tighter. "Its cool bro, I got a 240, my car dont have a bumper cause I go hard!" No, no you dont, your just a terrible driver. Despite that, I still love doing it. I do enjoy a competition here and there, but could care less to run pro events, its just for fun. Anything judged that has to do with cars is always biased especially formula d. Road racing is where its at though. Hunting ppl, gaining off their mistakes.. An absolute blast, and def more of a professional sport. Time attack is where I really want to be hopefully next year, would love to run Pikes Peak hopefully in 2. Drag racing is cool, was always a fan until I started really driving. Unless your under 10sec, its kinda boring. Rather street race.

I just enjoy having a car that I can do everything with competitively.

I can't speak for legal sanctioned events, but for the street - there's something that grip driving on mountain roads that's just plain exhilarating. There's always so many more variables, but the rush of chasing a car downhill and seeing who has the better braking abilities, who has their car setup better, etc

I've noticed the drift crown very much has an IDGAF attitude if they hit something - just keep going. Which... is cool and all, but I feel that mindset clashes with you hit something, you should GAF so you can not hit it next time...

I hope Phinko chimes in on drag racing.

JAinsworth could chime in on doing donuts in a church parking lot in front of a pastor!!!!

From a professional racing perspective, drift "racing" is kind of silly. It has nothing to do with racing as it is a judged event, based on things other than who can get from point A to point B faster. That makes it "not racing" in my book. Now that being said, Nascar (which is what I do) also has its share of critics. Redneck sport, only turn left, stock cars, not a "real" sport, ect. I've heard them all. Im sure there are alot of things about drifting that I dont know or understand, that makes it as popular as it is. Just like with Nascar, there is probably alot more to the sport than it appears to the average person who happens to see it on TV and judges it without actually learning about it. I have been to a drift event and it was certainly interesting to watch. I can say for sure that I have an immense amount of respect for the level of car control that those guys have developed. I know the cars are setup to be drivable with 45degrees or more of yaw, but its still quite impressive to see. I enjoy watching the videos that Convette posts of his drifting and I know it has got to be alot of fun to do especially in a car that he has put so much work and passion into . I just dont consider it actual racing. I would consider it more like a single event in automotive x-games.

As for drag racing...I can take or leave it. I never really cared enough about it to get too involved in it. I like circle track and road course racing at any level. You have many laps to work on your line and braking and throttle points, and there are alot of mind games involved when a few guys are racing hard and trying to get the better of each other on the track. Also, there are usually more than just 2 cars at a time to watch and enjoy.

All of that aside, I really just enjoy automotives and just about anything to do with auto sports. So... drift, drag, circle track, or road course.... its all cars, if you enjoy it...do it. Its better than sitting on the couch watching TV.

BC_99

• Like 1

Drifting is not racing. We go out there to have fun and tear s*** up. You don't have to have a ton of money to have fun doing it and most of us do not do it competively. That's what cracks me up about comparing it to things like road racing and drag racing, you don't have to have the top of the line stuff or the most power or the best tires. Pretty much any rwd can be moddified to go out and have some fun drifting.

#keepdriftingfun

Drifting , mmmmm , fun i'm sure till you blow yer engine, hit a wall or wrap that SQ you spent countless hours building around a pole which seems to happen quite frequently with you drifting doods . :)

.... and I'm sure no SQ has ever lost an engine at the dragstrip or wrecked while out street racing, or just general hooning. Just sayin'... ;)

It's all about what you love, and we all love different stuff. Our common love is SQs, but we all love em in different ways. I'm all about looks , car shows and cruising. Others are all about going fast and could care less about looks. Some want to have both. Some are purists, and others can't have enough mods.

We're all gonna spend more money on these things than we should wether it be big stereos and LED lighting, or blowing a motor and burning up sets of tires. If each of us individually are enjoying what we're doing, and are getting enrichment in our lives because of it, then who's to say who's right or wrong? If the cost of engines, tires, speakers, or whatever else you're into becomes too much, then the enrichment and enjoyment level will go down too. Everybody finds that happy medium of what they want out of their car(s) and life.

You wanna hear crazy (or what most would consider it)? I spent thousands of dollars and plenty of hours making my car faster than stock. Then I spent thousands more and many more hours puting in a huge stereo that has probably slowed it down to slower than stock. Now I got over $10k and hundreds of hours into a car that is slower than ever and built to the tastes of one person. If I sold it, I'd be lucky to see $5k, but even tho I don't race it and rarely even drive it, it still has brought enough enjoyment and enrichment to my life to be worth every penny and hour I've spent, and then some.

I don't race or compete in anything other than car shows, but I do enjoy watching about everything. Nascar is my favorite but I watch all the other stuff too. I go to the local drag strip just to watch occasionally as it's only a couple miles away, but other than that if it has tires and an engine, and is on TV, I'm probably watching it. Wait... scratch the tires comment... I even watch powerboat and snowmobile racing sometimes.

Edited by Burton

but could care less to run pro events, its just for fun.

This is the biggest problem with everyone who is new to the "drift" scene honestly. They all want to be in formula d. They get a 240, v8 swap, a hydro e brake and some retarded knuckles that allow way too much steering angle so they never spin and think they're the best ever. I also do it for fun, and also because its one of the few things im actually kind of ok at haha. As for the original post i enjoy all types of racing. My cars not really quick so dragging isn't as fun as it could be with more boost and softer suspension. And with these big old 18's the car isn't setup to grip really but it would still be fun.

Edited by BOOSTED88tsi

lol people who wrap their quests around poles, almost 100% of the time, are doing it in a parking lot, with a stock quest on crap tires, and stock suspension. And rightfully so they get what they deserve. I completely see your point. Those same ppl also call doing doughnuts "drifting". And we all know that stock quest motors need no help blowing up, they are very good at that on their own. haha I cant stand to see ppl drifting stock quests, or any stock car for that matter.

The way I look at it, there's nothing I cant fix, so I enjoy it. If it breaks or pops, just build it stronger next time.

^ yep that's the right additude right there. "The way I look at it, there's nothing I cant fix, so I enjoy it. If it breaks or pops, just build it stronger next time."

It was kindof the reason I got my quest. I was sick of spending a few years on a car, only to store it away as an investment. I wanted a car I could just beat the snot out of, and if it breaks it's breaks.... I'm not restoring and throwing money at it as a collectable but as a car to drive.

As for racing, Very early on by like 5 years old. I had a kart and would race all the time. I'm just one of those people that loves winning, hates loosing and dosn't just want to win but want to run the score up so high no one else even wants to try at it.

Drifting is cool to do and watch.

NASCAR well.... I have never liked it. To me it's just stupid to give everyone the same car, same motor ect put a ton of stupid rules is, cry and put restrictor plates in when "they are going to fast" I want to see them do the crazyest most outlandish things and get that car going 300 MPH to where it just rips apart right in front of your eyes. Only good part are the wrecks.

Now that being said. My dad won a NASCAR driving experience for 2 people. We picked Vegas to do it (since we could also vacation there too) So I have a totall new found respect for them. Getting out of the pit, and having to get that car up off the apron lip, and right onto the banked part of the track is HARD..... Fine I get that down, and Im already good at corner entry, exit, and using the power to drive it though. But holy heck is it hard. It's hard to hold you head up, with the HANS devince on even. It's hard to hold your arms out. After 10 laps I was done. They could have told me you can take her around as much as you want, and I would have pulled maybe 2 more laps (at a slower pace) and pulled her back in. It is MAJOR work. without the suit hooked up to outside air or AC or whatever they really do.... OMG is it HOT in there. I have a new found respect for them and I only hit in the 140 MPH range.

Drag.... AH it's OK but with all the new driver ades AWD sysems ECT (even on bikes) It's become TOTAL just BS computer driving the car. The new BMW crotch rocket has ABS, stablity contorl, and traction contorl. So you can crack the throttel wide open, drop the clutch and it will launch the bike just hard enough to pick the front wheel up, and feather the throttel for you to keep the front wheel up and exactly the right point for max excell.... I'm sorry but that is all PC driving right there.

I think the most fun I have ever had watching racing was an SCCA even befor a grand prix race. It was awsome, there were so many kinds of cars, and had so many diffrent aspects. This one was high HP and killing the straights, this one was super light and killing the corners.... and then the drivers get factored in.

I cant stand to see ppl drifting stock quests, or any stock car for that matter.

This is what i'm getting at , prepare the cars properly and go do your drifting in a controlled and safe purpose built drifting arena/track and go have fun doing it , seen a lot of SQS die sad deaths in the past few years at the hands of the driftkiddy/doughnut types . :(

This is what i'm getting at , prepare the cars properly and go do your drifting in a controlled and safe purpose built drifting arena/track and go have fun doing it , seen a lot of SQS die sad deaths in the past few years at the hands of the driftkiddy/doughnut types . :(

Remember this is also how quests can get new lives. The PO of my car locked up a rod and blew the turbo, among other abuse. Car would have rusted in his fallow farmers field. And you have got to learn some way. It's like motorcycle riding you hope the person never goes down, but if they do and survive and are ok they learn a pungent lesson.

and not "everything" can be controlled. Took me awhile to learn that one myself.

Edited by jszucs

cars get wrecked REGARDLESS. be it someone doing donuts in a parking lot, someone taking a corner too fast up a mountain road, or a crash at a sanctioned road race event.

to use the fact that cars get damaged as the premise for an argument against any type of safe event is completely backwards. The cars are objects for each of us to enjoy as we see fit.

people being unsafe is a different issue than people enjoying their cars. 15 years ago everyone was wrecking cars by illegal street racing. did we conclude that all racing should be stopped in order to prevent people from wrecking cars? no, because that would be illogical.

As long as someone is enjoying their car and not causing harm to other people then I don't see an issue with any form of motorsport. hell, if someone wanted to demolition derby a SQ i'd be ok with it.

I love drifting, but hate the crowd that it brings now. Stupid f-ing kids that were born in the 90's but rep the 80s looking like a bunch of d-bags. Neon wheels and retarded attitudes. Now they feed off the hate and use it to make their jeans tighter. "Its cool bro, I got a 240, my car dont have a bumper cause I go hard!" No, no you dont, your just a terrible driver. Despite that, I still love doing it.

This. When ever I go to the track with friends to drift events or other motorsport events.

I get annoyed with the dumb kids who clearly spend waay too much time on social networks just hating on people.

Justin, He shouldn't have been so rude and un-Christian like. Churches are not supposed to run-off lost people like you and your mom. He's lucky I didn't put him in the middle of it. Jimmy

I agree, but that whole chain of events will forever leave me with warm and fuzzy memories.

I like competition and individual challenge.

Drifting to me is a moving hipster carshow. Sure there is talent required but the same could be said for walking on your hands.

If its not against a clock, its biased. But you do what you enjoy.

Alot of people associate drag racing with top fuel NHRA crapola. Ill never give 2 shizzits about it.

I like the grassroots stuff. The DiYers.

I had a clutch linkage come apart on me before a pass, I ran home, welded it up solid an made another pass in an hour. A buddies Transam threw a rocker during the burn out. pushed back to the trailer and rebuilt the valvetrain and was back at it in 20-30mins. DIPalooza '11, both Joe and I were competing in seperate classes and suffered broken axles. with the help from all our friends both axles were changed out in minutes. Btw, we both took 1st and the money home. Ive made a lot of great friends and connections within that crowd as well as suprised a lot of people with a busted old sohc 4 banger. But my goals have always been personal ones. If a handful of V8's get drug in the process, thats just a bonus.

but if i had the access/$$$. Id be deep into road racing and autocross. Thats what the white car was initially to be built for. thats was eons ago.

I have easy access to drag racing and alot of connections related to it. Until you experience a sub 1.5 60ft, you will prolly never understand.

Edited by Funky Phil

I like competition and individual challenge.

Sure there is talent required but the same could be said for walking on your hands.

. Until you experience a sub 1.5 60ft, you will prolly never understand.

Haha thats a good one, and very ture.

Overall motorsports people in general are a nice group. We all share a common passion, and should help each other. I just hate the hipster movement thats ruining the image associated with drifting.

The way I see it, drifting has so many levels of car control. The difference between a guy that blows doughnuts in a parking lot (which is what 90% of ppl think drifting is)...(or walking on your hands) and the guys that can enter a corner at 80-100 mph an 1/8 mile before the turn (running on your hands while carrying a pitcher of water with your feet) are 2 totally different things.

IMO its like this:

Rally Racing

Road Racing

Drifting

Drag racing

Auto x

It takes the most effort to build a road/rally race car. It has to be balanced, fast, stop, and turn all while displaying utmost concentration navigating around a track. And forget about rally, cause thats just man shi+. Sorry but no other motorsport compares to this. The control and abuse the driver and car go through is like no other form of racing.

Building a drift car isnt that hard, but again it depends on the level that your shooting for. FD cars are upwards of 800hp monsters. But to have fun, stiff suspension, a little steering angle and a welded diff, and your ready to climb in your skinny jeans, strap on your uncertified 80's metal flake open faced helmet and smash some walls.

Drag racing, again depends where you going. However, drag racing is mostly money. Your only going to be able to go as fast as the amount of money you have in your car, period. Yes you might be able to do better than the next guy whos got the exact same setup, and yes is cool to beat bigger budget cars, but at the end of the day, money makes you faster. Not always the case in other forms of racing, especially spec racing. Money doesn't buy you skills or balls. Big block tube frame automatic cars are stupid. When all you got to do is step on the gas, based on how slow you brain tells your foot to move...sorry thats lame. That said, running 10's with a clutch pedal is something to brag about. I love seeing 4cylinder cars run game on v8's always have, and always will, not matter what the race is.

Give credit where credits due.