F: 17x10 - R: 17x12 advice from the pros

Thanks guys! :-)

Yeah I know the car looks like it should be about a half-inch lower... but honestly I'll just be thrilled if I can resolve my current fitment issues. Also the goal here was to have a bit more vintage "road-race" feel and less "stancewars" vibe. So I think in that respect the current ride-height works out. I have a few more details to add to this setup so I'll still have one or two more updates. When I'm done I'll aggregate all the info here and work with an admin to get all of this info made in to a 'sticky' thread for others who want to do custom lug-centric wheels.

But thanks again to everyone who posted up here with advice and ideas! Much appreciated it all helped.

• 1 month later...

So my follow up a month later having driven on this setup a bit more.

My final thoughts for anyone else who wants to rock the 10-12 stance would be that I probably should've gone with a -10 offset instead of a -20. The -20 has been kinda screwing me all the way. There's almost full-time contact in the rears and I've got the inner fenders shaved down dangerously close to having the inner and outer fender skins de-laminate on top. In order to finish my current setup properly I could benefit from a set of rear camber plates and some more aggressive springs to eliminate travel. This would fix the last of my woes...

So in summary:

> run a -20et on a 11.5" wheel... or rock a -10et on a 12" wheel.

> If you want to run 17x12 with -20et out back then you will need camber plates and stiff springs or raise up the back of the car... which I'm probably gonna do for the rest of the season to stop my sidewalls from melting.

So if you rock my exact setup::: D2's with the default D2 spring rates, no rear camber plates and slam the car about 2" below stock height you'll end up with this.This is about how much rubber I loose every time I take the car out. Eventually my sidewalls will give out unless I raise the tail a quarter of an inch... at least.

1001388_10201026911452682_1775146621_n.jpg

995762_10200981901527462_922763684_n.jpg

I would like to see this in person. Maybe we could meet up sometime if I can get my car to work!

I've been itching to take the Starion out to another meetup. I'll have to look around and see if anyone is organizing anything soon. I'd love it if the Japanese Nostalgic Car guys would do a few summer meets. Those are nice and small and it's easy to get to chatting people up. I'll dig around.

So -20 on 11.5 would be your choice if you could do it over again? I was thinking 9 would be plenty for me on the front. Are you still concerened about the barrels not being perfect? Great thread man.

So -20 on 11.5 would be your choice if you could do it over again? I was thinking 9 would be plenty for me on the front. Are you still concerened about the barrels not being perfect? Great thread man.

I think either configuration, 11.5" with -20et or a 12" with a -10et would both get you basically the same result. I think in the big picture, anything with a zero or negative offset is going to look great on our cars. The barrel will be huge.

If you want "poke & stretch" (I hate that term) then you'll want a negative offset as it will encourage that look. In the end the difference visually will be very minor. But if you want the bonkers 'MAD MAX' look... then I would do 12" with -20 and just plan on rolled fenders, camber plates and aggressive spring rates. Also I keep neglecting to mention that without my stretched rubber There's just no way I'd be clearing anything with a -20. Stretched rubber is imperative.

I feel like my setup is at the absolute edge of what you can fit under our cars without full-blown wheel-well modification. (cutting out the inner fender skin, shaving the outer-skin flush on the inside, and maybe even a pulled, flared arch.

Ironically, the fronts have been great even at 10" wide. Yes I rolled my fenders & removed my plastic liners and yes I rub a little when I turn and hit bumps... but my sidewalls are not melting away. I'm not worried about my fronts at all.

• 3 months later...
most informative wheel/stud/spec thread I've read so far on here AV, so did you replace the studs yet? and what was your concern with the oems that were on? was is age...and if you went with longer studs, couldn't you simply get open-ended bolt and have the excess metal sticking out on the other side once its all bolted?? or did that not just "match" the look you were going for?

Far.... I think his concern was with going wtih lug centric rims. Lug centric use the lugs to center and mount the wheel over hub centric which use the center hub to center the wheel.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been on lately. I appreciate the questions and thoughts about the lugs. For the record I was probably being a bit over-concerned about switching to a lug-centric mount. I think I had some concerns about shear forces on the lugs because those custom wheels weigh about 50lbs a piece! LOL (So not really a performance-centric modification, heheh)

The tire place did use a lug-positioner and not a cone-type hub positioner when they balanced the wheels at my request. And while these wheels are "heavy-duty"... it's obvious they are meant to be cheap disposable steelies for rock-crawlers and oval racing, etc... lots of warbles in the steel and some pretty think weld beads. While I don't think anything short of a bomb could destroy them, they ARE cheap wheels. One of them required almost 5 oz of counter weight to balance properly. LOL I've never seen anyone put that much weight on a wheel before. However they did a good job at the shop because the car rides smooth as silk. Zero vibration at any speed from those battle-tank steelies.

So it is possible to get a smooth ride from a cheap wheel :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Xtreme,

Thanks dude! It looks even better in person! will try to get some better pics up eventually.

Hachi,

The muffler is just a regular old magna-flow muffler with a couple of 2" pieces of straight pipe welded on to make the sleeper-look tips. On the other end the pipe is all 3" cat-less all the way back to the engine. Any decent muffler shop should be able to make you a similar setup at a decent price.

Ronnie,

Thanks man! Be sure to post pics when you get your car set up. Would love to see it!