uregent help needed

The Rabbit1

yes... go do some wot pulls while staring at your slow and inaccurate gauges. If you wreck into something or wipe out your turbo or bearings you'll know its broken or it was restricting your pick up for sure.

....or just take it easy to work and fix it when you get the chance.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....or just take it easy to work and fix it when you get the chance.

Or fix it now! Properly support the vehicle with jackstands. Pull the two upper nuts on the engine mounts. Place your pole jack on the tranny flange and carefull jack up the engine. Support the engine in this position. Remove the bolts holding the pan on, you will have enough room to pull the pan without removing the pickup tube, sway bar, etc provided you lift the engine high enough. Pound out that dent, inspect everything, change the cork gasket, and bolt her back on. If you don't have a gasket, clean it up and silicone it for now. Do whatever you need to do besides just hoping the dent didn't harm anything.

This could be done in one night. It sucks; it's cold, its dark, but it isn't hard. Obviously it's a daily driver....think about how much it will impact you if the engine blows. Take the night, stay up late, and get it done.

You're lucky it was the oil pan and not yourself that got crushed. Always use jack stands.

Or fix it now! Properly support the vehicle with jackstands.

I must have not explained it well, I was in the process of lifting it to put it on jack stands.

Haha... how does it fall in the middle of lifting?? You have a fully lubricated cross member??

-Robert

I've seen that happen. Oily crossmember and an jack that doesn't roll very well. As you lift it the jack starts sliding across the crossmember. If you don't notice it the jack ends up on the oil pan. Hasn't happened to me yet and hopefully it never will.

You're lucky it was the oil pan and not yourself that got crushed. Always use jack stands. You know you have to take the pan off now, don't avoid it. You can hammer it out probably. This time, use jack stands when working on the car.

BTW, Boost has nothing to do with oil pressure.

-Robert

But RPMs do. When max. boosting your RPMs and oil pressure will RISE..... Robert, cruise in second or third gear and then nail it. Does your oil pressure increase along with boost? P.S. Roberts car and mine are TOO LOW to jack up from the front :lol:

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

whether you hold the car at 6k rpm with no load or 6k rpm at full load (full boost) the oil pressure is the same.

oil pressure is dependent on rpm alone

Maybe your not understanding what i'm getting at. When you max. boost a engine you are increasing the RPMs. I have never seen a boost gauge rise without increased RPMs, thus increased Oil Pressure. P.S. You NEVER rev. a engine to 6,000 rpms without a load on it ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

got any steep hills where you live Bill? I've seen the tach not move while at full boost.

Using a boost gage to measure oil pump performance is like measuring your weight loss/gain by looking at your weekly grocery bill. they can be related, but aren't always.

ever run a stock oil gage next to a real one at the same time? once you do, you'll never look at the stock gage again.

I more than get what your getting at. its just not entirely true. if you did rev an engine with out load or a lot of throttle, or launch control etc. you wouldn't have lower oil pressure.

engine rpm and oil pressure are directly related. Boost is just subject to a particular rpm band as well. turbo is driven by air flow and heat generation, its relationship to rpm is totally subjective to engine displacment, ve, timing fuel, etc.

your oil pump is gear driven.

its just a backwards way to say it. you may as well say oil pressure rises as battery voltage rises or injector dead increases. Even those two examples are more directly related and you wouldnt say it because its a weird way to word it.

put on a 128mm turbo and see if your boost gauge rises with rpm... then what, you have no oil pressure??

Edited by akauf

i would pull the pan, if that even tapped the pickup tube, it may have moved the oring part of the tube out of center of the oil pump, meaning your pumping air and oil. that will kill your bearings, kill your oil pump, and kill your turbo

now, does 1 hr of your time not worth the cost of a new motor and the hours to change?

i would pull the pan, if that even tapped the pickup tube, it may have moved the oring part of the tube out of center of the oil pump, meaning your pumping air and oil. that will kill your bearings, kill your oil pump, and kill your turbo

now, does 1 hr of your time not worth the cost of a new motor and the hours to change?

dang good advice right there yes sir

always place the trans in neutral when jacking the car up,,that way the car can move with the jack, if you do not the jack WILL slide ,, and bad things happen

P.S. You NEVER rev. a engine to 6,000 rpms without a load on it ;)

Bill

Only if you're running a radial engine in a plane. You can rev a car engine to 6k without load and have no detrimental effects.

The stock oil pressure gauge is junk. Takes too long to react and is inaccurate.

You can rev a car engine to 6k without load and have no detrimental effects.

Jeff,

Maybe your comment above is why you have owned 5 Starquests. Blew them up??? You try to come off as a nice guy and a knowledgable member on SQC, but others who have met with you in person know you are not what you try to portray yourself as. You show your true colors by changing my posts, that is proof in its self of your immaturity. Why do you think that you were not invited to Mesquite 2011?, while I was asked by the host of the meet Scotty Gibb, to help run it in 2010 and 2011. Could it be because of your arrogence,lack of knowledge and ill manners by butting into conversations that others were having with the newer members, and then giving them the incorrect advice??? If I was the only one that felt this way about your lack of people skills, knowledge and manners, then maybe I was wrong. But others at Mesquite 2010 felt the same way as I did. Maybe that is why you were not invited back for Mesquite 2011 ;) If I ever meet with you again in person....It will be too soon.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Jeff,

Maybe your comment above is why you have owned 5 Starquests. Blew them up??? You try to come off as a nice and knowledgable member on SQC, but others who have met you in person know you are not what you try to portray yourself as. You show your true colors by changing my posts, that is proof of your immaturity. Why do you think that you were not invited back to Mesquite 2011, while I was asked by the host of the meet Scotty Gibb, to help run it in 2010 and 2011 ? Could it be because of your arrogence,lack of knowledge and ill manners by butting into conversations that others were having??? If I was the only one that felt this way about your lack of people skills and manners, then maybe I was wrong. But others at Mesquite 2010 felt the same way as I did. If I ever meet with you again in person....It will be too soon.

Bill

I don't think this kind of posting is helping anyone, do you?

Ad Hominem

"is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it. Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as a logical fallacy.["

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

I met Scotty when he lived in Brownsburg and got his first gold car and I gave him a service manual and maybe some gaskets. He was working in the garage too long and his wife wanted to fix dinner. He briefly lived here in Bloomington or his wife did before they went to Texas. Somebody was with me I forget who.

I don't think this kind of posting is helping anyone, do you?

Chad,

I don't think Jeffs changing of my posts are either.He chose this route, not me. Want to stop it? Then quit enabling members to do it. Jeff is acting like a 5 year old kid: "If I don't like a members comments, i'll change it.to suit my needs". I'm not the problem here.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I met Scotty when he lived in Brownsburg and got his first gold car and I gave him a service manual and maybe some gaskets. He was working in the garage too long and his wife wanted to fix dinner. He briefly lived here in Bloomington or his wife did before they went to Texas. Somebody was with me I forget who.

Indy,

Scotty GIbb, or the Scotty that lives in Virginia? We have way to many Scottys on this site :lol:

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

What? he's logging into your accounts and editing your posts?

Chad,

Go thru this thread and read the changes from my original posts. Post no. 23.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308