Here's to NASCAR.

Caliber308

After watching last Sat. nights Bud Shootout, I feel that NASCAR finally got it right....Back to Old School racing. The fans loved it, and so did the drivers. I didn't hear one complaint from the drivers about the way the cars are set up now.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Hey Harry,,,, Would a yoda work lol....... still can't get over that... wooo hoooo 1k post. im not a newb any more lol. Edited by wrngwae

Must have been because they finally got rid of those damn carburetors.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nascar/dam/assets/111019121743-inside-nascar-page-top-mobile-all-cuts-story-top.jpg

LOL... damn new fangled Technology.

-Robert

Fixed it for you.

LOL,,, thanks kane it is offically running again right now so,,,,,,, :P ..... to stay on topic.....

what about the old http://px6.streetfire.net/0001/42/57/1132475_600.jpg

Yeah, I'm digging it too, and looking forward to the rest of the year. I hope they have the same luck on other track configurations, and make those races more exciting too.

I don't think it will ever be as cool as it was back in the day no matter what they do. Those guys were daredevils. They were rollin around with open face helmets, no fire suit, and their cigs rolled up in their T-shirt sleeves. They didn't have all the stellar safety features the cars do now. They brawled after races and didn't have to watch what they said to the interviewers, which I think helped in the excitement of the whole thing.

Now they try to make it more family oriented and try to promote the best image possible. Of course, doing that has made it one of the fastest growing and most watched sporting events which is great for the viewership numbers and profits for NASCAR itself, but I think kind of took some of the charm out of what it used to be. I can't knock them for it tho. Those changes might just make NASCAR bigger than the NFL, so I can totally understand why they would make the changes, I just wish it could keep a little more of it's old charm.

Oh, and.....

GO STEWART-HASS and MICHAEL WALTRIP RACING!!!!!!!!!!

After watching last Sat. nights Bud Shootout, I feel that NASCAR finally got it right....Back to Old School racing. The fans loved it, and so did the drivers. I didn't hear one complaint from the drivers about the way the cars are set up now.

Bill

Maybe the fans loved it, but I can promise you that the drivers do not, and neither do the teams for that matter. What you heard, is what the drivers are "advised" to say when speaking to the media about the current state of things, by the sanctioning body. I know it was more exciting to see the cars crashing alot more, but its kinda sick to watch 25 cars race for 75 laps and all but 2 or 3 were involved in crashes in one form or another, and from those 25 cars, maybe half actually finished the race. Its worse than the tandem style racing because there are still tandems happening, they just cant stay hooked together as long because of the rules package minimizing that radiator grill opening to a certain size and location. So you have 2 cars that hook up and can go alot faster than everyone else for half a lap, and then getting sucked back into the pack when they have to break apart to cool the 2nd car off. I hope you enjoy the races this weekend, if we are lucky, no one will get killed by this package Nascar has got us racing.

BC_99

I know I'm probably gonna get death threats and maybe even be thrown out of this forum but man I just can't stand NASCAR or any of these oval track races. How many times can you watch a car go in a circle??? How dated is the technology in these cars? Take the fake fiberglass shell off and the cars look the same they did 25 years ago. You want excitement, amazing technology and good racing, watch F1, WRC, DTM or the Le Mans Series.

I didn't watch. What are they doing different than before? I used to love watching Nascar as a kid, not crazy fanatical, but I really did enjoy it.

I'm sure they changed a bunch of little things on all packages for all tracks like they do every season, but the big thing this year is that they are getting rid of carbs and going to fuel injection on all the cars for all races. At Daytona this year, they also have a lot shorter rear spoiler, which totally changes the handling over what they were used to last year.

I know I'm probably gonna get death threats and maybe even be thrown out of this forum but man I just can't stand NASCAR or any of these oval track races. How many times can you watch a car go in a circle??? How dated is the technology in these cars? Take the fake fiberglass shell off and the cars look the same they did 25 years ago. You want excitement, amazing technology and good racing, watch F1, WRC, DTM or the Le Mans Series.

To each their own... Actually, the cars are a bunch different underneath than they were 25 years ago for sure. In fact, after Earnhardt's death in 01 they completely redesigned the cars from top to bottom. The new setup was put into place for the 2008 season, so they have actually only been using the "same technology" for 3 years now. Of course, like was said before they have also gone to FI over carbs, that is a HUGE change in technology in my eyes. They also switced to using E85 gas a couple years back too. Saying the technology is about the same as 25 years ago is just ignorant, but since you don't watch it, how could you know?

As far as watching.... I watch all the motorsports you listed and then some, but NASCAR is my favorite. Some people love to watch sports like golf, tennis, bowling, etc... Not everyone likes watching that stuff, myself included, but who am I to give them my 2 cents about what sports they should enjoy watching? If I don't want to watch it, I don't complain about it, I just don't watch it. I enjoy all things that go fast and have tires. 43 cars within inches of each other going into a turn at 200 MPH...How could any "car guy" not enjoy that? Rather, how could anyone enjoy it so little that they would hate on that sport?

There's all sorts of things in the "car world" that I like and dislike- In motorsports, build styles, modifications, etc.... While I may never be into some of those things myself, as a car guy I can appreciate how others are into some of those things. I'll never roll around in a donk on 30" wheels, but I can appreciate how some people could have that be their thing. In the end, I'm just glad to see someone else into cars, no matter what their style. Drag racing is probably my least favorite motorsport to watch (although I'd rather watch that than American Idol), but I can appreciate how some other car guys would be all about watching it.

Edited by Burton

Maybe the fans loved it, but I can promise you that the drivers do not, and neither do the teams for that matter. What you heard, is what the drivers are "advised" to say when speaking to the media about the current state of things, by the sanctioning body.

BC_99

BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. I have seen drivers criticize NASCAR for some of their choices, YEA, in front of the media too. ;) If some of the Senior drivers in NASCAR didn't like that kind of racing in the Bud Shootout, you better believe they would have voiced their opinion. Even Jeff Gordon said, and I quote" It was a lot of fun". And he suffered the most :D So did Dale jr.and Tony Stewart. Is NASCAR going to FIRE those three drivers if they would have said this: "It was way to dangerous out there tonight" HELL NO. I have seen in the past:Jeff, Dale jr. and Tony criticize NASCAR for car modifications and tire choices. Even if you personally are in the industry, "which is still to be determined"...You can not speak for ALL of the drivers. After all, you just do fabrication on a certain car ;) I'm sure if the drivers interviewed on Sat. night had a problem with the new car configuration....They would have let it be known. BC99, Just because you work in a shop that works on cars that compete in the NASCAR circuit, that alone in itself doesn't give you the knowledge about knowing how NASCAR drivers feel. I'm sure they don't come to your shop and consult with you about your opinion. Your job is to do work on the race car, Period. P.S. I think you give yourself way to much credit as far as knowledge concerning the inner workings of NASCAR. You did it one night in the Chat Forum, and your doing it again here in Post no.11. Hey, I work for IGA as a Meat Dept. Manager. So.....Does that title give me the knowledge about all the inner workings of the corporation or the thoughts from the board members of the Independent Grocers Association for me to comment on??? HELL NO it doesn't. See my point. You have to know this: I have been following NASCAR even before the first televised race in 1979. I don't know everything about NASCAR, but I know more about it than most in their 30s.

i work for Hendrick Motorsports in my spare time. See how easy it is :lol: You still have not told the membership which NASCAR team you work for????? If you want members to believe you.....Post it.

Never make a promise you can't keep,

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

when i see a huge winged HEMI powered MOPAR runnin' laps, i'll start watching again :lol:

+1^ daytonas and superbirds are what got me into mopars in the first place :wub: --- ive had 6 mopars in my time and miss every 1 :(

gig out

To each their own... Actually, the cars are a bunch different underneath than they were 25 years ago for sure. In fact, after Earnhardt's death in 01 they completely redesigned the cars from top to bottom. The new setup was put into place for the 2008 season, so they have actually only been using the "same technology" for 3 years now. Of course, like was said before they have also gone to FI over carbs, that is a HUGE change in technology in my eyes. They also switced to using E85 gas a couple years back too. Saying the technology is about the same as 25 years ago is just ignorant, but since you don't watch it, how could you know?

As far as watching.... I watch all the motorsports you listed and then some, but NASCAR is my favorite. Some people love to watch sports like golf, tennis, bowling, etc... Not everyone likes watching that stuff, myself included, but who am I to give them my 2 cents about what sports they should enjoy watching? If I don't want to watch it, I don't complain about it, I just don't watch it. I enjoy all things that go fast and have tires. 43 cars within inches of each other going into a turn at 200 MPH...How could any "car guy" not enjoy that? Rather, how could anyone enjoy it so little that they would hate on that sport?

There's all sorts of things in the "car world" that I like and dislike- In motorsports, build styles, modifications, etc.... While I may never be into some of those things myself, as a car guy I can appreciate how others are into some of those things. I'll never roll around in a donk on 30" wheels, but I can appreciate how some people could have that be their thing. In the end, I'm just glad to see someone else into cars, no matter what their style. Drag racing is probably my least favorite motorsport to watch (although I'd rather watch that than American Idol), but I can appreciate how some other car guys would be all about watching it.

2012 and they finally switch to Fuel Injection???? Again, we are in 2012. Enough said. But seriously I have tried watching it, I understand the concept of 43 cars doin 200mph is exciting but just not my cup of tea. The comment about 25 year technology was a general statement as I am sure you will agree compared to other forms of motorsports I mentioned the technology in NASCAR is dated comparitively. If you enjoy it then you are right, who am I to say it sucks.

Edited by verde2002

2012 and they finally switch to Fuel Injection???? Again, we are in 2012. Enough said. But seriously I have tried watching it, I understand the concept of 43 cars doin 200mph is exciting but just not my cup of tea. The comment about 25 year technology was a general statement as I am sure you will agree compared to other forms of motorsports I mentioned the technology in NASCAR is dated comparitively. If you enjoy it then you are right, who am I to say it sucks.

I'm much in the same boat, but I have to admit, I watched the Shootout this past Saturday night (well, the last 40 or so laps) because there was nothing else on, and I have to admit, I actually enjoyed watching it. Will it ever top ALMS, WRC, DTM, etc. for me? Nope, but as others have said, to each their own.

As far as the technology, yeah, it's behind compared with the other forms of motorsports. I don't mind that so much, as they don't claim to be technology leaders, but as a very casual fan, I FREAKING HATE the aeroblob cars. They're as "stock" as the LeMans Prototype cars are. When you have a "Camry" running a pushrod V8, that's a little ridiculous IMO. I recognize they want it to be ubercompetitive, and they try to force that through the template cars, but when they went away from the actual stock car bodies, I think it really lost a lot for me. That's one the reasons I enjoy Sports Car Racing so much (ALMS GT classes, etc.) - the cars are homologated real cars, as opposed to the mockery that NASCAR vehicles are.

But, in reality, this is almost like a political or religious debate: no winners, no losers. Everybody has what they really enjoy and for you NASCAR fans, I hope they figure out what's causing the low attendance and low TV numbers so you don't lose your sport like we Rally fans did.

Actually the limits in nascar has led to innovation. I just read an artical in popular mechanics about the valve spring in nascar, for a good while that was the limiting factor for engine rpms.

Not sure if it is still the case but when they started turning 9500 rpms the piston speed surpassed.what the thought was possible. And if i recall passed F1 in that department. Don't quote me on that but i will try to dig up a link.

So you can call it old technoligy if you want but i don't remember seeing 350 pushrod v8's turning 9500 rpm 25 years ago.

Pick up a copy of Racecar Engineering. They usually touch on the NASCAR tech here and there right between the F1 and ALMS tech. The technology in a current NASCAR is pretty world class and anyone involve in these cars should be proud. Its much harder to eek out a win when you're so limited by the rule book. It involves precise knowledge and control of what you have to work with.

For example, until the Car of Tomorrow came out, teams would have different chassis for most tracks. One detail was that the car's body work was different one side compared to the other. They were designed to act as an air foil (look down from the top) in order to aerodynamically pull them around a turn. If that's not high tech, I don't know what is.

I mean they've even gone as far as testing cars in secret underground tunnels rather than a rolling road in a wind tunnel to get data on the aerodynamics that couldn't be gotten in simulation / wind tunnels: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/nascar/the-secrets-of-laurel-hill/

The switch from carbs to EFI this year is simply a marketing point as is E85. NASCAR (as well as all other series) are trying to appear more green to fans and sponsors. I doubt you could find a more perfectly tuned carburetor on the planet than in NASCAR and the move to EFI will effect air / fuel very minimally.

I hope you enjoy the races this weekend, if we are lucky, no one will get killed by this package Nascar has got us racing.

BC_99

You don't drive the cars. So it is not you up to you. What is this about "US" racing??? You don't race these cars, you only work on them...Maybe? Your opinion is a moot subject as far as the Drivers, Fans, NASCAR and myself are concerned. ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. I have seen drivers criticize NASCAR for some of their choices, YEA, in front of the media too. ;) If some of the Senior drivers in NASCAR didn't like that kind of racing in the Bud Shootout, you better believe they would have voiced their opinion. Even Jeff Gordon said, and I quote" It was a lot of fun". And he suffered the most :D So did Dale jr.and Tony Stewart. Is NASCAR going to FIRE those three drivers if they would have said this: "It was way to dangerous out there tonight" HELL NO. I have seen in the past:Jeff, Dale jr. and Tony criticize NASCAR for car modifications and tire choices. Even if you personally are in the industry, "which is still to be determined"...You can not speak for ALL of the drivers. After all, you just do fabrication on a certain car ;) I'm sure if the drivers interviewed on Sat. night had a problem with the new car configuration....They would have let it be known. BC99, Just because you work in a shop that works on cars that compete in the NASCAR circuit, that alone in itself doesn't give you the knowledge about knowing how NASCAR drivers feel. I'm sure they don't come to your shop and consult with you about your opinion. Your job is to do work on the race car, Period. P.S. I think you give yourself way to much credit as far as knowledge concerning the inner workings of NASCAR. You did it one night in the Chat Forum, and your doing it again here in Post no.11. Hey, I work for IGA as a Meat Dept. Manager. So.....Does that title give me the knowledge about all the inner workings of the corporation or the thoughts from the board members of the Independent Grocers Association for me to comment on??? HELL NO it doesn't. See my point. You have to know this: I have been following NASCAR even before the first televised race in 1979. I don't know everything about NASCAR, but I know more about it than most in their 30s.

i work for Hendrick Motorsports in my spare time. See how easy it is :lol: You still have not told the membership which NASCAR team you work for????? If you want members to believe you.....Post it.

Never make a promise you can't keep,

Bill

My offer still stands, My car for yours, that I can and will prove I am what I say I am. Care to put your money or car where your mouth is??? I have worked in the industry for 15+ years and where have you read that I ONLY work in the fab shop? The Team I work for fields 3 cars at the cup level, 1 in nationwide part time and 1 full time in the K&N east series. I have taken 2 very well respected members on this forum to the races thus far (one of them happens to be a mod) and they have seen what I do on the weekends for my race team first hand. I dont have to prove a thing to you, but if you are man enough, hop in your car and drive down here to NC and make sure you bring the pink slip and enough money for a plane ticket home.

As for your comments about me not talking to the drivers about what they think of the racing. You presume to know what conversations I had with what drivers after the race last Saturday night? Or what my driver said on the radio to our whole team during the race??? really? Stick to working with your meat and leave the racing and how it all works to me. You are again showing your ignorance by continually choosing to comment of something you dont know anything about other than what you read in the paper or hear the drivers say in front of a camera. That is the same thing I and others told that night on chat and I have zero problem saying it to you again here in front of the whole forum. You are ignorant of this subject admit it and walk away.

BC_99

You don't drive the cars. So it is not you up to you. What is this about "US" racing??? You don't race these cars, you only work on them...Maybe? Your opinion is a moot subject as far as the Drivers, Fans, NASCAR and myself are concerned. ;)

Bill

FWIW, I was a driver many years ago....The garage is full of failed racecar drivers. But that is besides the point, I am a member on the team, I race against all the other teams, when it comes to building a competitive car, when its time to make changes to the car during practice, and when its time for me to jump off of that wall and do what I do on the weekend. If you still dont think Im part of my team and that it makes US an "US" , then I guess you just dont understand the concept of a team or how it works...which wouldnt really surprise me much.

BC_99

edit, my sig pic should clue you in to what team I work for....figure it out since you are so smart and know it all.

Edited by BC_99