I want to hunt mustangs-new to the starion

bobehud

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as mustangs go thier is only a hand full that can beat our cars..Mine eats GT's all day, shelby and rousch's are a little tougher...

Ditto. New GT or old 5.0 Bring it on!

Shelby, Rousch, Cobra ... yeah those are scary.

I'm like most of the guys here and have nothing but respect for a nice clean powerful mustang. It's the everyday Joe thinking his car is fast that annoys the hell out of me.

On topic ... Go MPI and put a big turbo in there @ 20ish psi with all the supporting mods. You'll have no problem with 90% of the stangs out there.

you guys dont realize how heavy these cars are?from what ive seen the quest is right at 3100 lb.mine weighs 3240 with an alum.head 5.0.either weight is so close to a 5.0 stang theres no use in comparing.hp+weight+gear+traction is what it takes.no matter if its a stang,a quest or a hummer.if youre beating a mustang thats equal in all these categories then you beat the driver,not the car.fyi most of those stock stangs youre racing have 308 gears in the rearcompared to our 354s.i dont like stangs either but i know what they are.

you guys dont realize how heavy these cars are?from what ive seen the quest is right at 3100 lb.mine weighs 3240 with an alum.head 5.0.either weight is so close to a 5.0 stang theres no use in comparing.hp+weight+gear+traction is what it takes.no matter if its a stang,a quest or a hummer.if youre beating a mustang thats equal in all these categories then you beat the driver,not the car.fyi most of those stock stangs youre racing have 308 gears in the rearcompared to our 354s.i dont like stangs either but i know what they are.

now the real kicker here is that when you do beat a mustang with a quest. you just raced a car that weighs pretty much the same so that equals out the weight aspect of it, and boils it down to a little more driver.--- however the fact remains that you did it with half the motor hes got.

now the real kicker here is that when you do beat a mustang with a quest. you just raced a car that weighs pretty much the same so that equals out the weight aspect of it, and boils it down to a little more driver.--- however the fact remains that you did it with half the motor hes got.

depends on if its a 5.0 or 4.6 either way you are a little better than half his displacement but you are forced induction v. n/a so it should boil down to driver plain and simple. boost the stang and you get smoked. I like our cars alot but the witch hunting of mustangs around here gets outta hand sometimes.

BC_99

ive always been told at like 14.7 lb of boost youll at least double your hp.that makes sense because it seems that a decent running quest at 15 lbs should put out around 225 hp.which means that a quest running 15 lb should run toe to toe with a stock 5-sp.5.0 with 3.54 gears.youre right Grant its half the c.i.but same hp. Edited by tim si

Mustangs are slow... There is no secret to going fast... add power and lose weight. A 300hp quest is a fast car.

If mustangs are slow then delete this post. I'm tired of hearing people calling mustangs slow. if they were so slow then leave them alone and move on to bigger prey. you dont waste your gas on a uego do you? why would yall hunt slow cars what does that make your car. throw a turbo on a 5.0 and 99% of quest owners here have lost their pinks. mustangs are common but they command respect, this thread proves it. Hell even the honda guys have become brave now(2600lbs plus 350hp = 11 sec 1/4 mile). Most of you grew up in the fast n furious era and dont know that mustangs dominated the streets in the 90's. when all the supra's and mostly ever other foreign car was blowing up on the street the ford guys were not. all they did was recalibrate the mass air sensor and threw in some 42lb injectors a turbo kit(NO TUNE and the car ate all comers). Now you can catch the real ford guys on the race track doing low 7 second passes all day.

lol silly mustangs...... the 5.0 is a good motor so is the 4.6 both produce good numbers but when it come down to it there is no replacement for displacement and thats where the camaro SS and firebird formula and WS6 come into play. mustangs gets beat all the time

my old 2.6 has beaten a few mustangs in its time hell i only have 44k miles on her shes all stock with a MBC running 13 psi and its priceless the look on their eyes when u pop the hood to show a 20+ year old stock 4 banger

my 2.6 has had a good run but we are getting ready to build a 383 stroker pushing over 600 horsepower which will be down right insane in a conquest

If mustangs are slow then delete this post. I'm tired of hearing people calling mustangs slow. if they were so slow then leave them alone and move on to bigger prey. you dont waste your gas on a uego do you? why would yall hunt slow cars what does that make your car. throw a turbo on a 5.0 and 99% of quest owners here have lost their pinks. mustangs are common but they command respect, this thread proves it. Hell even the honda guys have become brave now(2600lbs plus 350hp = 11 sec 1/4 mile). Most of you grew up in the fast n furious era and dont know that mustangs dominated the streets in the 90's. when all the supra's and mostly ever other foreign car was blowing up on the street the ford guys were not. all they did was recalibrate the mass air sensor and threw in some 42lb injectors a turbo kit(NO TUNE and the car ate all comers). Now you can catch the real ford guys on the race track doing low 7 second passes all day.

Yea but the point is even though those numbers are impressive they're achieved (relatively) easily. As said earlier anyone with a summit catalog and some green can make their pony go fast. But where's the challenge in that? Where's the fun? I mean anyone who knows how to turn a wrench can take a big motor and dump more fuel and air into and make it fly. So what? It guzzles gas and in turn makes a ridiculously uneconomical street car. I applaud the guys who find a way to make 4 bangers fuel efficient and fast at the same time. The guys like on this forum who take the time and program megasquirt or something similar. The guys who actually learn and do their research and know EXACTLY what is running their car. That's a trait most mustang owners don't possess. Instead they bolt on whatever big part they find and the car goes fast. Big deal, they did no work the engineers at ford and other companies did.

ok so theres some that say half the engine size with the same performance is better and theres others that say its much better to take the hard way to get there because thats better than just calling summit.there all just opinions and everyone is free to take their own path.if it was all set in stone i guess wed all be trading in our quest for a hayabusa which by the way has half the engine as the quest,weighs less and gets twice the mileage.can you imagine if all the guys riding bikes said we were stupid and slow and gay because we took a different path to get from point A to B.ive got the best of both worlds with a 5.0 quest and it wasnt because i was lazy or too stupid to do it with a 2.6 it was just the path i took and im sure theres another quest out there faster than mine. but that 5.0 is one tough motor.

....And the witch hunting resumes. seriously, who cares, if you dont like em, dont buy em, you try and compare the cars, and when the conversation doesnt go the way you want it, you try to compare owners, well, we all know that any d--k head with money can buy any car he wants and build it any way he wants, so its not a car related thing, so now you try to compare who engineers their own car?!? really? the people at megasquirt did all the engineering, not you. you just figure out how to apply it to your car, the same way mustang owners do with the stuff they buy. Its just easier on a Ford, because they arent disposable cars that have no aftermarket base, like what we have to deal with when trying to work on our stuff, or we have to adapt something that was designed and engineered for another vehicle and make it work on our cars. Well good for you it, it makes you feel superior to other vehicle owners to do that. It doesnt make you any better of a person or "carguy" because you did it though. Mustangs werent really engineered to be turboed, with the exception of the old svo's, but people are doing it and having fun doing it, the same way the Vette and camaro guys and the firebird and T/A guys are, and I have recently seen a couple of Vipers that were twin turbo and bad as hell. I dont hate on em cause someone engineered it other than the owner, it is still a bad a** ride. So get off your high horse and be respectful of the fact that other people can have opinions and cars that arent what you like. seriously, put away the torches and pitch forks and just be a carguy.

BC_99

....And the witch hunting resumes. seriously, who cares, if you dont like em, dont buy em, you try and compare the cars, and when the conversation doesnt go the way you want it, you try to compare owners, well, we all know that any d--k head with money can buy any car he wants and build it any way he wants, so its not a car related thing, so now you try to compare who engineers their own car?!? really? the people at megasquirt did all the engineering, not you. you just figure out how to apply it to your car, the same way mustang owners do with the stuff they buy. Its just easier on a Ford, because they arent disposable cars that have no aftermarket base, like what we have to deal with when trying to work on our stuff, or we have to adapt something that was designed and engineered for another vehicle and make it work on our cars. Well good for you it, it makes you feel superior to other vehicle owners to do that. It doesnt make you any better of a person or "carguy" because you did it though. Mustangs werent really engineered to be turboed, with the exception of the old svo's, but people are doing it and having fun doing it, the same way the Vette and camaro guys and the firebird and T/A guys are, and I have recently seen a couple of Vipers that were twin turbo and bad as hell. I dont hate on em cause someone engineered it other than the owner, it is still a bad a** ride. So get off your high horse and be respectful of the fact that other people can have opinions and cars that arent what you like. seriously, put away the torches and pitch forks and just be a carguy.

BC_99

relax relax no need to get so fired up. my point was that guys who actually know about their cars should be respected as "carguys". Those who dont bother to learn what they're dealing with and just go around showing off their ride making bs claims are who im beating on. what high horse? I didn't claim to know anything about MS or tuning, I simply said I have a lot of respect for the guys that do. You clearly missed the point of my post

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w268/BKB94/OC018.jpg

Bring it on, ill kill you with my 94 3.8 V6 mustang. True its mostley a show car but 400rwhp and 430tq and i still get 25mpg on the highway and 18 in town. And talk about reliability i dove this thing over 700 miles one way to a show in Detroit cold AC and super comfortable. I just love the way the quest looks. My plan is to use the looks of the quest with the reliabilty of a Ford 3.8 V6 turbo.

Ordered the car late 1993 pulled the factory 3.8 at 30k miles and installed a 94 Thunderbird SC motor. Motor is .020 over with Ross forged pistons made to my spec, heads are hand ported stock valves, cam is a regrind to my spec, stock crank, H-beam rods for a 351, I made the girdle, welded up the intake and return plenum, made the intercooler from 2 stock SC ics, made all the piping, did all the painting and powdercoating.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w268/BKB94/oilpan003.jpg

Had to convert to hyd. clutch. I was a huge Toyota person and driving the stang the clutch felt like a dump truck. Feels really nice now and the pedal is much lower.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w268/BKB94/intake001.jpg

Here you can see how i raised the roof of the lower intake 1'' and welded up a new return plenum.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w268/BKB94/birthday087.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w268/BKB94/camper054.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w268/BKB94/SCmotorsprings003.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w268/BKB94/p1000234.jpg

My friends 94 cobra is behind my car.

my first statement was directed towards the guy who wants to hunt mustangs. Most (95%) of stangs are bone a** stock and they will race anybody who pulls up on them. They are usually the ultimate ricer. But all cars have a fast version. I have seen a 7 second chevette. The ratio of fast to slow mustangs is the same as other cars. There are millions of mustangs so of course there will be fast ones. The point is not to poke my finger in the chest of people who know how to make cars fast, but the other 5 million owners who think they know what fast is. Just like calling civics slow. Yes there are 9 second civics, but for the most part those cars wont run a 18 in the quarter.