Just got off dyno....

BlueCook

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the numbers, that is awesome to say the least.

As others have mentioned, I too would love to know more about the snyder camshaft, valves, degree and head setup. Major kudos to you and your dad. Good Job.

From observation, the common denominator for every single standout starquest is effort.

Seems like another case here too... particularly with the cam.

Also curious as to what alerted you on faulty cam - not matching cam card specs, or weak performance ? Hyd or mech, roller ?

Hot G54s have passed thru with all sortsa exh manifold types, stock head, oe valves, oe cam. hacked stock intake, oe throttle body... u name it.

Stellar results whether the turbo cost $200 or $2000, barely any difference.

Dunno what/if the stock motor/17C/MAFT starquest dyno'd, but had to be making decent grunt to get a heavy street SQ into the 12s. So u really don't have to spend a lot of money

Since you tuning and number with a tbi are so impressive. It got me more excited. I replaced the distributor and I'll make sure to set the timing good. And it's round 2 tomorrow at the dyno. Wish me luck. I hope everything goes smooth tomorrow.

Hey Guys, Sorry it took so long but I have been on the road a lot lately.

There is nothing that outstanding about the cam specs. It has 114 degrees lobe separation a couple degrees more duration with the exhaust having a little less lift than the intake { (no more than 274 lift), I don’t have the card in front of me this is from memory}. Which is a result of the regrind issues, I will explain later. The big difference is the amount of lift and duration from the 50 mark opening to the 50 mark closing where you check it for degreeing. This basically tells you the valve is open with a more aggressive ramp, equating to more duration per percentage of lift. Anyone who has done any research on cam profiles knows this is good but you have to be careful with flat tappets, roller rockers can do more.

Now for the issues: While trying to degree the cam I noticed a sizable difference in valve closure between # 1 and #4 at and after the .050 check point. After investigating I found the base circle to be very inconsistent from one set of valves, intake and exhaust, to the next. (To the tune of about 12 degrees at .050 lift and only 20 to 30 degrees rotation prior to valve opening that the base circle was, in fact ZERO) That doesn’t sound like much but when you only set the valve lash to .008 it has a tremendous effect on when the valve is fully closed.

Now, try to explain that to Mr. Snyder over the phone and he thinks you are an idiot, to say the least. I told him I was sending it back for them to check and correct. Low and Behold,,,, I wasn’t such an idiot after all!!! Got a call from Snyder’s son and he confirmed my findings and agreed to fix it but it would end up with a little less lift than I had originally ask for. Hence the smaller numbers. I would not duplicate this cam for that reason. It would be better with more lift.

Therefore, if you deal with Snyder on anything custom, be sure and emphasize quality control and a good base circle.

Now for the second attempt at degreeing the cam. It still had approximately .004 to .005 difference in base circle (valve fully closed) numbers but was able to get the degree numbers close enough for me to be comfortable with the results.

The cam is degreed in at 110 verses the card recommendation of 112. The 2 degree difference actually advances the cam and if my memory serves me correct, would explain the Dyno graph showing very good low to mid range power sacrificing top end.

Now back to the good numbers from the Dyno.

If you do the math these numbers sound high because we are not injecting enough fuel to produce that kind of number. But I do think we are close, somewhere in the 5 to 10% range, around 310 to 320 hp if you factor in the fuel pressure, the primary injector, which is 10% larger than advertised, an 8:1 piston and my cylinder head and intake work with Bluecook’s recipe for results!!!

thanks for taking the time to explain. It's those "little" details that make the difference.

Huge lack of testing goes on in starquest land, where 'theory' and 'specs' prevail.

Seen camshaft quality control issues with lots of other motor also tho.

Most of us would never have caught the cam blurb. Seen lots of cases where folks removed their so called performance cams and went back to stock, because their torque tradeoff was unacceptable and ET suk'd

Snyder’s son and he confirmed my findings and agreed to fix it but it would end up with a little less lift than I had originally ask for. Hence the smaller numbers. I would not duplicate this cam for that reason. It would be better with more lift.

Therefore, if you deal with Snyder on anything custom, be sure and emphasize quality control and a good base circle.

thing is, that same old cam will probably go out in the mail to some poor soul... rather than them eat it.

Since you're the one who put forth the effort to "get it right", and test it, when in reality, should have been them (or any cam supplier for that matter).... why not market 'em ?

• 3 weeks later...

WAOW!!! im saving this thread!! awesome info here man! i have a 272 or a 274 cam (cant remember) sitting under my bed now and will be going in to my engine when i finish up the bottom end. this is great info for me to see how to degree the cam and make sure its up to spec since i dont have the card for it.

Daniel

Awesome numbers, I'm shooting for 350 hp as well, starting to do some research. Surprised to see it can be done with stock FI and manifolds. What about the turbo? I didn't see any changes listed on the mods.

Awesome numbers, I'm shooting for 350 hp as well, starting to do some research. Surprised to see it can be done with stock FI and manifolds. What about the turbo? I didn't see any changes listed on the mods.

Garrett GT3071R .63 ar exhaust

Garrett GT3071R .63 ar exhaust

Sorry I missed it, rookie mistake not identifying it on the MOD list. Would your dad be willing to try tweaking another cam on mine when the time comes? I'll be in touch, thanks again for the numbers its inspiring.

Joe

• 1 month later...

I need to check my cam. When I switched from stock to a used 274h I gained 13hp and lost 30tq peak at the wheels. Lame. That was with tbi and the 12a though.

I gained 100hp just from cam degreeing.... before cam degreeing the car put down 245 hp. Same exact set up just a little different tune on MAFT.

Sorry I missed it, rookie mistake not identifying it on the MOD list. Would your dad be willing to try tweaking another cam on mine when the time comes? I'll be in touch, thanks again for the numbers its inspiring.

Joe

You would have to ask him that I dought it just be cause mine was such a PIA.

Sorry I'm a few months late.....hehe

Just wanted to say Congrats!! Thats awesome #'s for TBI!

Thanks a lot man! Haven't heard from you in a while...

hey can you tell me some more about this cam degreeing?? like where to start and what to look for?

PM RGAV8R the same questions.

Do you have a picture of how you ran the intercooler piping? Did you eliminate the ovcp?

Piping is just *DM full 2 1/4 there is a picture on the first page.

how come i dont see u out with it? bring that thing to spartanburg!

let me know u comin well meet u up there

It never leaves the carport. I go to Coastal Carolina and car is in Chapin with dad. I drive it when I come home thats about it. haha Just turned 90k miles on the body too.

lol, sorry. I was thinking of something else when you said custom run piping through the radiator support. I have been thinking of hard pipes and a translator in the future. What improvements did you feel with each? Such as spool time and power. Great numbers!!! Edited by movin on

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry I have been out of the loop lately! School is killin me at the moment ha ha. However im done for the summer and home now so its car work time.

I cant wait for Pigeon Forge this year, hopefully we will be in my car and dads.

For those that I promised to show my settings on my MAFT, I will take a picture tomorrow and post it up.

The intake manifold is only port matched to the head that is it. Stock TB.

I really don't know the differences between pipes and mods and stuff that was way back in like 2006 when we did them, and this car has had so many different combinations of stuff i couldn't tell you but what it does now.

As far as cam specs ill have to talk to dad(RGAV8R) about that I told him people were asking about them but he prolly forgot.