Which one of you manly men...

JustPaus_88TSi

Turbonetics Releases New 122mm Billet Turbo - we call it the "Baby Killer"

When you think the world of turbos for automotive use is at their biggest, we all get surprised again. Turbonetics has released their new TNX-122, 122 MM turbo. The kit is designed for top tier racing, such as, Pro Mods and really for diesel sled pulling competitions. “Diesels go for the most amount of boost you can possibly fit in an engineâ€, says Turbonetics Marketing Manager, Tyler Tanaka.

The turbo is capable of producing over 2500 horsepower, while supporting 140+psi. The center section is an all-new billet piece. It allows Turbonetics to build a stronger internal bearing with a new, patented oiling system. Also, the compressor wheel is made from a billet 713C super-alloy. “When you run this much boost on a cast wheel, it can expand from the center and explode.†Tyler remarked. Regardless, make sure small animals are not present while in operation.

The first picture is compared against a Turbonetics T3 turbo.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n155/drkonrad/babykiller1.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n155/drkonrad/babykiller2.jpg

250 lbs/min of airflow.

250 lbs/min of airflow.

Lets put that into perspective, shall we?

250lbs/min=3617.5CFM or roughly TWELVE 12a's all plumbed up to one motor. Except the 12a's will peter out at 18psi while the Turbonetics TNX-122 can make over 140psi.

LOL

put one just a little smaller on the shop drag car at sound performance when i worked there, car made 1500 horse laughing at us to throw more boost at it but the motor was already lifting the head at 47 psi lol , everytime it peaked you could see coolant spray out the head gasket in a mist. lol

You know, I wonder what would happen to the human body if you plumbed the outlet into a mouth and sealed the mouth off and had it push 140psi...

your head would quickly evacuate itself at a third of that pressure with no relief valve. And nasty things would happen at much lower than that

Actually I saw some turbo's similiar to this back in the late '70's on Alco, Cat, and FairBanks Morse marine diesels.

Of course, each cylinder was between 250 to 350 cubic inches displacement, and the diesels had either 8, 12 or 16 cylinders.

If I remember correctly they were running about 20 inches of boost pressure at 100% power, which was anywhere between 1200 to 4800 HP.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

PS The turbo's external surfaces were not polished like that one is.

Edited by Starfighterpilot