Who has owned their Starquest (continuously) the longest?

This was sorta brought up at PF. I have owned my '88 Starion since Sept. of '91 and I am the second owner and have about 284500 on the ODO. The farthest I have traveled to Starquest specific meet in my Starion has been from Austin to Englishtown, NJ 2000,2001 ~1700 miles one way. One year I did Branson and then PF when they were a week apart and that was ~1300 miles one way. Isn't there a member who still has theirs from buying it new?

• How long have you continuously owned your StarQuest?
  • Current original ODO reading?
  • Farthest distance traveled FOR a StarQuest meet DRIVING your StarQuest?

Discuss!

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/2015/list/40-best-saturday-night-live-characters-of-all-time-20150216/items/11-linda-richman-20150216/186114/medium_rect/1423868885/720x405-LindaRichman138454248.jpg

I purchased my white 88 Starion in the fall of 2003 with 98,000 miles on it, It currently has 121,000 miles on it, I have driven it to quite a few meets but never any long distance, probably the longest trip I've ever made in it was around 300 miles one way.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k401/StarionKevin/IMG_1310_zpsecd71a96.jpg

I bought my '88 Starion (the Old Broad) in Jan '88, via a special order. I had to wait about a month to get her cuz all of the Silver '88, ESIR's with a black interior in Northern Ca. had sun roofs which I did not want. I was there when she was delivered to the dealership in Sacramento CA and saw her roll off of the car carrier.

The original odometer reading was 3.4 miles, I wrote it in my owners manual, which I'm guessing was factory track testing and rolling on and off of the transport ship in Japan and San Francisco.. After 27 1/2 years she has about 478K miles on her.

She has many, many cross country trips under her belt. The longest was about 7.5K miles I think it was in 2010, when I drove her from Atlanta GA to Tulsa OK; Casper WY; Glacier Intnl Peace Park in MT; Bamff National Park in Canada; Vancouver Canada; Cape Flattery WA; then down the Pacific Coast Hwy (US 101) to San Diego (making numerous long and short side trips to see ex Navy submarine buddies of mine along the way); then to the Grand Canyon; Zion; Bryce Canyon National Parks; Santa Fe NM; Leadville CO; Denver CO; Tulsa OK again; Fargo ND; New Ulm MN; Chicago IL; Arlington Va; Solomons MD; Richmond VA; Knoxville TN; then back to Atlanta GA.

The Old Broad is still my daily driver. :)

For What It's Worth

KEN

• Like 2

My very first thought was "Ken wins for sure!" LOL

Unless somewhere out there is a guy who bought an 83 in 83! But definitely Ken would be hard to beat, since new. That is awesome.

I knew there was someone but could not remember who it was. I didnt include "road trips" or anything because I have a few of those, too, but were not StarQuest related. Ken pretty much has us all beat, tho! Keep them coming.

How many rebuilds with amost 500k?

Short block is factory cherry with the exception of:

Factory oil pump pressure relief valve plunger & spring changed out 3 time per the Mitsu TSB on it which upgrades 'em. Pump itself is cherry.

Changed out the rod bearings at 250K for craps & giggles just to be safe. Pulled 'em to check 'em they looked fine with a little scuffing. I had a new set from Dad so I installed 'em.

2 times changed out the ' 88/89 Mitsu heads running the jet valve eliminators. Welded up cracks in the heads twice. The 88/89 Mitsu OEM G 54B T heads are made of a harder Aluminum alloy and larger cooling passages that resists head cracking better than any other Mitsu head ever made (including after market ones). . ;)

Engine oil pressure at 950 RPM's, with engine warmed up to just below the middle line on the engine temp gauge, in 95 degree outside temp. is JUST below the engine oil gauge middle line running 10w - 40 Castrol engine oil. Just above the middle line running Castrol 20W-50 in the summer.

Compression is 128 +/- 2 PSIG across all 4 pots.

Engine oil and fiters have been religiously changed every 2 to 2.5K miles with Castrol and a NAPA Gold 1381 oil filter.

Engine oil pan dropped & cleaned every Spring and the engine oil cooler cleaned every other Fall or so.

BSE installed @ about 125K miles. Timing chain & guides replaced every 85K miles or so.

Front and rear crankshaft oil seals replaced at about 300K miles.

Original factory OEM cam which dials in almost to factory specs, and rocker arms, cuz I run ZDDP in the engine oil.

Replaced the lifters @ about 300K miles.

Wore out the turbo oil seals 3 or 4 times. Rebuilt the turbos or replaced 'em.

4th set of fuel injectors cleaning/replacing.

3rd engine coolant pump - wore the other's coolant seal out.

Miscellanious parts from 44 other Starquests in her. See this link reply #12.

http://www.starquest...howtopic=127541

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Hey Ken, just curious: when you did the BSE, dI'd you notice additional vibration from engine?

Let me just say a few years ago, I saw am old lady driving an 85.5. She pulled out from my wife's uncles neighborhood. I have searched for her ever since with no luck.

That 85.5 was cherry. I'm 100% sure that lady had to have been the original owner. Man I would kill to buy that car off her if she still has it and if I find her!

Hey Ken, just curious: when you did the BSE, dI'd you notice additional vibration from engine?

A little starting at about 2600 progressively decreasing to 3000 engine RPM's. Above 3100 (80 MPH in 5th gear) none.

I've rolled the crankshaft main and rod bearings out a couple of times to look at 'em when I clean out the engine oil pan. Visually, the little amount of vibration doesn't seem to effect 'em. However, there is a little teeny tiny evidence of bearing scuffing from cold engine start up. Nothing to be concerned about.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Bought mine in fall 1999 from Paul Cleary in Toronto. 43k on the clock. Now has 83k on it. But I've busted a couple blocks in the mean time ... farthest for a meet was a weekend trip to Scotty's spring meet circa 2007. 400 Miles one way

Well the only conquest that I have at this moment has been in my possession since the fall of 1996. My brother saved it from a customer of his who was literally in the process of taking it to the junkyard. He stopped at my brothers shop to have the stereo system removed. Brother called up my dad who came down and paid him what the yard was going to pay....$600. It originally was going to be a parts car to fix up an 88 starion in which I rear ended someone with a month or so earlier. Ended up rebuilding it instead of the starion.

Drove it for a few years as a dd. not too many miles on it since I had it but I made several 250 mile trips with it between my place and my home town even with a bad rod bearing. It has been torn down under a painstakingly slow full restoration since 2000.

Kevin

1987 Rio Red TSI, purchased October 23rd, 1986 at Fisher Chrysler, Yuma, AZ. S. Pino was my salesperson. They gave you a suede VIP pouch back then for you paperwork with a insert for the salesman's card. Still have 2 of his sales cards. 6.6 miles was recorded on the odometer with 5 of those from my test drive. Longest road trip was 4400 miles, Yuma to Manistee, MI and back. Went international to Europe (Germany) via the Army, had a blast on the autobahn. Originally titled in Arizona, then Europe, Texas, and finally Missouri when I retired. MO plates: "87 TSI". 2nd Starquest is an Atlantic Blue, automatic 1987 Technica that Mike Meyerhoff and I found for $300 in Olathe, KS. Only had that one since March, 2008. Edited by MidMoTSI

1989 Conquest....got it in pieces in 2005. Made numerous long trips, 1200+ miles. The head that came with the car finally crack in one of the intake runner back in 2012, kinda weird. I did not drive this car much as of 2012, because I had other starion/conquest to drive daily. Currently driving an 88 SWB Montero and an 88 D50.