Wheel hop...what can be done ?

03CL55AMG

Assuming you mean wheel hop wheel you take off hard or hit the brakes. (rears hop and chirp)

It is caused by whatever part of the suspension that locates the suspension arm pivots(s) under hard braking or accelerating.

In our cars the is the radius rod on the front and the subframe bushing in the back. Its common to find them with excessive play You can quick fix it with a roll of electric tape shoved in there , or replace them with a set from GNT.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142714

You can diagnosis the bushing play by using a prybar on the crossmember and pry it away from the subframe.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Thanks, I should have been more clear it is rear wheel hop...only when I burn out ( which is pretty rare ). I have replaced all the bushings (neopreem )in the car and all the struts were replaced about two years ago , only about 8 k on them . the one I will have to check is broken diff mounts, I can't remember if I replaced them or not...I was at the drag strip about a month ago and that is where I really noticed it...even though I just did a very small burnout just enough to clean the tires off and maybe warm the tires slightly ( street tires ). Not much point in roasting street tires at the track, thanks again.

lol. Definitely winding something up.

I had wheel hop even with poly bushings. I lowered the air pressure in the rear tires and it was greatly reduced. Launch with more power next time, or different tires, or lower pressure in the tires.

I have not played with it in a long time but I reduced launch wheel hop with tire pressure and launch technique. At first I dumped the clutch but then I started to walk the clutch out. May be harder on the clutch but better on my 60ft time .

As far as burnout hop goes, I would just check all your bushings etc like said above, then play with tire pressures.

Thanks, I should have been more clear it is rear wheel hop...only when I burn out ( which is pretty rare ). I have replaced all the bushings (neopreem )in the car and all the struts were replaced about two years ago , only about 8 k on them . the one I will have to check is broken diff mounts, I can't remember if I replaced them or not...I was at the drag strip about a month ago and that is where I really noticed it...even though I just did a very small burnout just enough to clean the tires off and maybe warm the tires slightly ( street tires ). Not much point in roasting street tires at the track, thanks again.

check mounts of course, i did fine with bad struts (bad fronts seems to help with launch and weight transfer) i did however notice, if you try and do a burn out in first, it will hop, not enough wheel speed. i would kick tires in water in first, then burn out in 2nd

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/skullzaflare/47041129-T26T2CINDEX106_zps5f8e6230.jpg