Childhood Dream Come True

As a kid in the early 80's I used to watch Dukes of Hazards and grew up in admiration of the show and the General Lee.

I first saw the show dubbed in Spanish and then I came to the states, learned the language and watched reruns in English. I loved watching that Charger and loved the sound of thst Mopar engine.

Now as an adult, I get to work with the man, the legend himself behind the General Lee and all its stunts, Ken Fritz.

This saturday he asked me to transport The General Lee and Scooby-Doo Mystery Machine to a car show in Burbank.

I got to drive the General Lee. See, he was the builder and stunt driver for the show, so he owns some of the Generals.

It was such an awesome feeling to get into the Charger, turn the key and hear that Mopar roar! Something about the car just makes a grown man feel like a kid again. I got drive the car on/ off my carrier and out of the car show. I blasted it's signature horn among the crowd to draw a little more attention. lol.

I know "what's the big deal?" But for me, it was a childhood dream.

• Like 1

the real question is.....did you do the hood slide?

Lol, no hood slide. I'd die if I scratch the car, mainly becauseI'd have to pay to fix it. lol

That's pretty cool!

There is a guy near me who has a general lee replica. It's a pretty cool car to look at but it needs serious mechanical TLC. He drives that thing like it's stolen! All the time lol

Very cool!! A friend of mine from A&P school was in one of the shows. Got to sit in the town center gazebo as the general drove by with the boys in it...

Awesome, cut one off your bucket list?

Dad

Yep! Even got to give my kids a ride in it as well. Even though they were more excited about the Scooby-Doo van lol.

The builder is a really cool guy. He is one tough SOB. He performed all those stunts the old fashion way, helmet and seat belts. He was also the man responsible for the stunts in Knight Rider, A Team, Chips and was stunt double for Arnold in Terminator.

When the General went on two wheels, that was him and when Kit went in two wheels it was him also.

In total he built 43 General Lee's for the show. They sure wrecked a whole lot of them. A 69 Charger is now so expensive that even total heaping rust piles are going for 15 to 20k.

Edited by louswheel01

in 69 I had a 68 RR and my bro had a 68 charger ,, my RR was go much more fun to drive itwasn't funny , he was always droping his car off and taking mine for a nite on the town

;9

• Like 1

"what's the big deal?" Dude. You got to drive the REAL General Lee. That is F'n SWEET! Did you get to roll to Scooby Doo machine? We need to know what engine was in the General. Seen a Mystery Machine locally a few months ago. Sucks trying to chase down a car when you're driving a semi!

So does the real General Lee squeel tires in the dirt, just like on the tv show?!?

It flies over telephone poles man, it's the General "f****ng" Lee, can do anything! lol

And unlike the Fast 6 and 7 Dodge Charger that has a Chevy V8, the General is all Mopar.

So does the real General Lee squeel tires in the dirt, just like on the tv show?!?

it'll do what ever you want , you got almost 600ft of torque to play with stock ;)

the oreg factory tires they came with you could destroy in one day , if you try'd

just a little

That is an awesome story, I loved those car shows as a kid. I remember going to a local mall as a kid and sitting in Kitt and the General.

A good mate did the same and never forgot it, he bought a replica in from the US last year, I've had it my workshop getting it legal for our roads. ( you guys seem to have some pretty relaxed laws for cars lol, its from NY)

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/KiwiStarion/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0026.jpg

Now has all the correct stickers etc a new boot floor and complete brake overhaul. Not going to bother with the roll bar and tan interior.