To go 2jz or stay with the boat anchor and go mpi?

Ironside

im just in it to enjoy it this time.i got big turbo with added injector setup.it only will go as fast as it goes.im not the fastest but probably the most interesting and coolest looking is the way i look at it.

i think the most interesting motor swap ive seen is the dodge hemi 5.7.that would be a beast cause stock its nearly 400hp right out the box with massive torque

Do it right or do it twice. Three times if you like the abuse. Lol

In other words, throw the boat anchor out the window. For regular putting around the boat anchor is fine.

depending on your goals, I'd go with the 1j, best bang for your buck... If you're going single turbo go with the 2j, but stock for stock I'd much prefer a 1j as it has parallel turbos vs the 2j's sequential. The sequential turbos in the 2j are much more frustrating and complex.

Last year I swapped a friends lexus is300 with a vvti 2j and kept the stock turbos. Our cars are similar in weight, both with r154 tranny, me with stock 3.54 gears and him with 3.7 and while he was faster it wasn't by a whole lot, and the sequential turbos take up a ton more space, neither of us liked them, so now he is going single, and will definitely shred me! But this came with a cost, 2j was a more expensive engine, and then add 2k for the turbo kit.

My car has a stock 1j with r154, obviously an aftermarket intercooler and piping, and a 3" exhaust, but otherwise it is stock. The bad part is the weight, not only is the engine heavier, but so is the transmission. The other bad part is that the stock sway bar will not fit. Here is the good, if you're interested I'm having new struts engineered to handle the extra weight at koni as we speak, they should be in by pf14, and am close to a larger swaybar as well. Still with these negatives I feel the positives by far outweigh them. This car is my daily, it gets around 24mpg, and has proven very reliable. I am far from an experienced drag racer (flame suit on) but my car runs a pretty consistent 13.0 @ 107... I know it doesn't sound like a lot but like I said, I'm no pro. That is with a 2.0 60 foot and 225 rubber in the rear.

I believe I took you for a ride at pf12 actually, we had 5 guys in the car for a taco bell run and still managed to get pretty sideways, lol! If you're coming to pf14 I plan on being there, you're welcome to take it for a spin, see what you think of my little 1j!

A lot of surger coating from the Toyota guys on cost and reliability. I hear things that do not get posted on here. It is not all cheep fun and games.

I try my best not to sugar coat anything, I believe you took a ride with me at pf12 as well. Since then this has been my dd, except for around 5 months when I hit a deer and had to park it. I do have other cars, and a truck for really bad weather, but since that time I've put over 10k miles on it and I don't take it easy! I've done regular maintenance and so far still haven't had any break downs. I drove it when it was -10 out with no problems, except actually freezing to the ground one day, lol! So the reliability part I simply do not see! The other thing I like is that the 1j is a non interference motor. Parts aren't hard to get as most things are shared between the 1j and 2j and are available at any autozone.

If you want to go fast you got to pay to play. Doesn't matter what you have.

This is true, none of this is cheap, a well built g54 with mpi, better fuel management, etc, is far from cheap if done right. There are cheap ways to make hp, but in the end they will cost you! When I do something I try my best to do it right, something that will not need constant tuning, or break down. With a built g54 what do you do when a catastrophic failure happens, takes a lot of time and money to build another. This is where I like the 1j, there are rows of them at the local engine depot for less than a grand! This means IF there is a major break down you can get another one quick and not have as much down time.

The only problems I've had with the g54b has been my own fault. I just hate to push it and blow it up. Mine runs great, just might sell the motor instead of abuse it.

I'm not jumping on the ls1 swap bandwagon and telling you to go that route just because I did it...but if you search hard enough you could probably do that for about $3000-3500 and have your hp goals with a bone stock motor and bone stock reliability. Originally found mine on Craigslist for $1500 whole motor. You could put a th350 or th400 auto trans behind it with a custom torque converter and aftermarket wiring harness and be good. Those transmissions can be had cheap and a converter to adapt that to an LS motor will probably run you about $600. Just something to consider. My car only put down 365whp and runs consistent 12.1 1/4 mile passes (could be faster with auto trans) and gets 20mpg highway and is very street friendly. I know this wasn't one of your original choices but if you can do it for that cheap I'd say it's something to think about

I'm a firm believer in keeping an engine within its family. I'm not knocking 2j swaps or anything but for restoration purposes I'd go mpi with the 2.6 or if your hell bent on a swap do a 4g63. They make power for cheap and will most likely be the cheapest swap to do. Not to mention you can still say it's Mitsubishi powered.

Keep in mind all that money spent on a swap can be used to fully build your engine/go mpi

Keeping it in the family or keeping the oem power plant just for the sake of keeping it is non sense. Enjoy the car is top priority. No one cares whats under the hood when they see a starion running around...they just love the fact its a starion.

the 4g63 is always brought up as this very easy swap... if this is true where are the 4g63's, and are any of them daily drivers? Believe me, I weighed many options before I got mine and very seriously thought about the 4g63, but in putting together a swap list it really added up, and after all is said and done you are still stuck with the stock tranny as the weak link. It definitely isn't as simple as bolting in a 4g63 from an eclipse, thats for sure! Actually the jz seems simpler to me than the 4g63 when you really get into it! I would love to keep it mitsu, but my primary concern was reliability and I didn't have a huge budget. Personally my favorite would be an ls swap, but they are a bit more expensive.

Keeping it in the family or keeping the oem power plant just for the sake of keeping it is non sense. Enjoy the car is top priority. No one cares whats under the hood when they see a starion running around...they just love the fact its a starion.

Exactly! I want a car tailor made to my taste without these rules that restrict me... There are many aspects of my car that aren't stock, suspension, stereo, body... The way I see it is that mitsubishi gave me a great blueprint, now as time and technology advance its time to punch it up so we can keep up with todays cars.

Exactly! I want a car tailor made to my taste without these rules that restrict me... There are many aspects of my car that aren't stock, suspension, stereo, body... The way I see it is that mitsubishi gave me a great blueprint, now as time and technology advance its time to punch it up so we can keep up with todays cars.

^^^This^^^

Oh, and the fact that it is "YOUR" car. So, do what you want to with it, and if that is MPI, JZ, 4G63, LS, Electric, Coyote 5.0, or Steam engine. Make it the way you want it, simple as that.

BC_99

I enjoyed my car more with the stock 1j then I ever did on g54b. And now single 2j...besides the lag...which is my own fault with the turbo...its amazing....and I mean amazing like amahzing.....lol..... Just my experience though.

or Steam engine

There it is, the only motor with a perfectly flat torque curve at any rpm. Just have to have a half hour to build the fire before going anywhere.

Do it right or do it twice. Three times if you like the abuse. Lol

4g63s may be cheap but are very far from reliable especially one not in Stock form. Ask me how I know

I enjoyed my car more with the stock 1j then I ever did on g54b. And now single 2j...besides the lag...which is my own fault with the turbo...its amazing....and I mean amazing like amahzing.....lol..... Just my experience though.

This is what I want to hear, advice from people who have actually swapped, its easy to speculate when you have no experience, but once you've been there its a whole lot different. Too many people assume that the cost of the dropout is it, when it is actually not. Just like with mpi, it isn't just the manifold, you need to put together fuel managment, an engine that can handle it, and find a turbo, then there's tuning... Or to think that a 4g63 will just work, lsquest88 I'd love to hear your experience with it btw.

I chimed in on this thread to share my experience with my swapped quest, I try my best not to sugarcoat it as I don't want to mislead anyone, and lets face it everything has a negative. I'm not saying its the perfect choice, but it definitely works for me and if I had to do it again I wouldn't change much. I would prefer an ls based swap, but it simply wasn't within my budget, although that will be the next quest I build.

I very seriously wanted to do a 4g63, but the more I researched and talked to a few people who have done it, the more I realized it wasn't as easy as most assume. Also I didn't hear much good feedback on it, except the auto trans drag purposed cars, but generally the feedback from the manual transmission street 4g's I get the impression that they wouldn't do it again. I really appreciated the honesty, this drove me to the explore the jz, also cheap, and I haven't found anyone who doesn't love it! I would love to keep it in the family, but not if its a choice that I'll regret, after all this is the car I drive every day!

If you want good balance go with a V8 or V6.

Boho enjoys his because he couldnt make his 2.6 run right on ebay parts, as most ALL 2.6 owners do. Then they swap and buy proper parts and suddenly things work........

i will admit that MPI is a very nice add on, completely different motor/car with it. if i had the money i would have kept it, and built up the bottom end and head, along with having a better clutch lol

i sold my complete engine setup, and bought a LQ4, have a hx35 here going on it. soon as i go pick up the engine...

simply put, my setup wasnt enough, i didnt want to put 2g in the bottom end and clutch to go where i wanted to go, i got a almost same power engine with better fuel mpg for 400 bucks, throw the hx35 on on low boost will blow my old setup out of the water.

i want more, always will, and a different motor that has better aftermarket support = happier wallet, or in another term, more parts with same money! lol

Jeph_tsi sorry bud but I haven't actually swapped a 4g63 into my quest. I was into the dsm world before the starquests. Had a pretty quick talon but was far from reliable with just a mild build. That's all I wanted to do is chime in on their reliability. I have experience with the motors just not swapping one in a quest. Only swap experience in the quest is the LS. Now if you need questions answered with that I can help you out. Good luck with your decision :)

I'm glad I got mixed reviews on this. I don't know if it's just me wanting to do the swap for the challenge.

Seeing vettkillers car run is awesome. M ikie"s car, Boho's car' Johns car they are all awesome. Just knowing I could build a inline 6 that would spank most v8's would be cool.

I see a lot of 4's spank a lot of V8's too.

yup, as long as you got the money, you can beat anyone with anything lol

get a Sprint Turbo, 1.0l turbo, run 13's stock, but doesnt weight 1200lbs lol

I can honestly say I never enjoyed my car so much. I'm on my 5th year with my car running. I cant even count how many track days I've been to, road races, drift events...let alone 15hr straight road trips, all on a $1500 motor. I havent even pulled a spark plug since they were first put in! No need to. I've beaten this thing relentlessly almost everyday. NO 2.6 can do that, with or without ebay parts.