anyone running td06?

I'm getting a turbo built and could use some advice. Talking to Chris Robbins from Turbos R Us. I got a quote to do a EVO 3 16g and leave my hotside stock. $450. I also priced him to machine my hotside out to accept a td06h4 (11 blade) and do the EVO 3 and a td06turbine. He hit me at $675.

Has anyone ran the td06 in a machined factory hotside? Will it even work properly? Or should I just stay td05? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, do it, worth every penny and you lower the detonation threshold and raise the power potential. I have a 12A-06SL2 in a stock flatty, pulls hard as high as I care to rev it.

I had a buddy of mine did that and it worked BUT the only disadvantage of using a machined stock housing is that the turbo inlet does not flow enough to really take advantage of the td06 wheel as opposed to using a turbine housing for a td06 wheel from the get-go. For less than 650.00 you should be able to buy a good working used syclone turbo that came with a factory td06 and then you can just mod the stock manifold and downpipe for it to fit.

I had a TD06 18G in stock conquest 12A turbo casings.

was a beast of a turbo.

I also ported the stock manifold where

it mates to the turbine bigger as well.

better flow better spool.

Do it!!!!!!

BUT you should have some way to tune the Air fuel

with this bigger turbo.

Edited by importwarrior

just remember to have a way to tune the air fuel mix.also a wide band is probably needed.

I gotcha! I've been needing a good reason to buy a wideband! I've done got a gm maf. Guess I will pick up a translator while I'm at it. What wideband should I buy? And which ones to stay away from? I've heard that some are hard to calibrate and such. Should I use the original o2 bung or weld one in further downstream? Thanks!

At one point I had a TD06h stuffed into a stock housing. And it worked pretty well. But there was a real difference in how fast it would spool when I moved over to a TD06 housing (opened up to fit the H wheel).

gets pretty thin but i did run a td06h in a stock hotside, RonnieJ is still running it. porting it would have helped alot, but the 20g still spooled quick

EDIT- on a side note, upon doing this, i had to port the wastegate passage bigger, i had bad issues with boost creep for a while til i did

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/skullzaflare/IMG_6462.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/skullzaflare/IMG_6458.jpg

Edited by Skullzaflare

gets pretty thin but i did run a td06h in a stock hotside, RonnieJ is still running it. porting it would have helped alot, but the 20g still spooled quick

EDIT- on a side note, upon doing this, i had to port the wastegate passage bigger, i had bad issues with boost creep for a while til i did

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/skullzaflare/IMG_6462.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/skullzaflare/IMG_6458.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. You say porting the wastegate bypass? I'll be sure to mention this to Chris also. I've never thought about that. Suppose that makes sense. I know it sounds silly but I wanted to keep everything as OEM looking as I can, so I was hoping using the td06 in this housing wasn't to far fetched. Where it mates the manifold is all ported out already. The factory lip and some more actually.

just get a complete td06-18g or what you want center cartridge, and have the stock hotside and stock coldside milled for the wheels. no worries on thrust or balancing

This is what im end up doing. My cartridge had wear on the hotside where the seal rides. Keeping hot and cold sides factory. If I wanted to change downpipes and all I'd just go with a different already built turbo. This way I can rebuild with a mhi kit if needed. And everything looks stock. And using an EVOlll wheel will spool a bit faster than an 18g and will make almost same power supposedly.