best engine swap

87questkid

I do feel the same as Mikie. I bought my first starion in 06. Went through the same trials and put the 1jz in 2011. I litterally NEVER enjoyed my car as much as I did then. 100% reliable, faster, smoother, bigger power band. AND had less money tied up than I did in the top end alone on the g54b. But this is just my opinion. 1jz is a top contender.

I have a 4g63 narrow swap in my car with a r154. Not worth it. I would say 302 would be best fit. If you notch the cross member they basicly will bolt in. A good running 302 will get between 20-25 mpg highway. A fms B cam and a set of gt40 irons and you will rape 90's of the cars on this board.

Then the jz swaps next. Your gonna have to beat up the trans tunnel to get the tranny to fit though.

why would it be "not worth it" ? just curious

motor is among the lightest candidate.... especially pound for pound potential.

No limit on performance. Proven. Even on stock internals + mitsu oem ecu, is enough to scare most

Lotsa gearbox options, to suit any goal. Ton of successful swaps documented.... pick a flavour.

Hard to beat.... and a mitsu label is the cherry on top

It's more trouble acquiring everything to make it work in a rwd application than it is to pick something already configured for

It. Granted they sell more parts now to make it easier than when I did the swap years ago but it's still a pita. Then the plumbing to make it all work correctly. I can't tell you how many things I've had to try out and then remake. I was gonna go SBF in the early faze of my 4g63 swap and I didn't. I honestly regret it. My buddies 86 TSI with a SBF was way nicer to drive and less of a headache.

I`m pretty sure you can find everything you need for a 4g63 swap these days. If something goes wrong, There`s lots of parts available for quick fixes. But, I am a little biased ;)

I do feel the same as Mikie. I bought my first starion in 06. Went through the same trials and put the 1jz in 2011. I litterally NEVER enjoyed my car as much as I did then. 100% reliable, faster, smoother, bigger power band. AND had less money tied up than I did in the top end alone on the g54b. But this is just my opinion. 1jz is a top contender.

I'll third this one, bought my first sq in '96 and for most of the years since a conquest has been my daily. I've been through a few different setups, one even faster than my current jz. Its hard to put into words how completely different the jz is! WAY smoother, much better power band, 7500 redline, and an absolutely intoxicating sound, by far the best performance decision I've ever made with a conquest! This car is not only my daily, but goes down the dragstrip, tons of white smokey donuts and burnouts, and a lot of hard driving with great reliability and no worries. I had no problem taking it to pf12 and gave it hell the whole time, heck I think we had 5 grown men in the car for a taco bell run and still got sideways. I gave as many rides as possible at pf12 and didn't take it easy, and if anyone is ever in the area and wants to go for a spin feel free to hit me up, you gotta try this thing out!

What's the best trans to use with a jz? Thinking about 1jz swapping an older Mercedes coupe next.

r154 (5speed), just remember there are several different cases for the r154 with different shifter locations so choose wisely. For the conquest you want the shortest (mk3 supra turbo). other options are the v160 6 speed, shifter is gonna be further back on this one and it is VERY expensive, or the w58 from the 5speed supra non turbo it is cheap but also much weaker than the r154, or you could go to the even weaker 5speed w55 from the is300.

The r154 is the best fit for the shifter location and still very durable, for more power there are many options to make it stronger. Also the r154 comes stock with the 1jz although in most cases its going to be the longer one so you'll need to trade it for the shorter one from the mk3 supra turbo.

you guys for get these cars did the 1st 100k + miles with no problem

we got guys that have close to 300k on the oreg engine,

if you engine is not reliable it's the owners fault not the car

Yep for the win..... there is a reason my car did not make 100K.... the PO put no money into the car EVER. and described the car to me as "oooo weeee I tell you when she running right you put in that clutch reve up that motor drop that clutch and she do perfectly circular donuts"

The same applies with doing a swap. If your not spending the $, as well as the time (labor) which could be $ in some cases. A swap can be a basket case, heck even building the stock motor to the max can be a basket case.

The 1jz would be my choice also not so much for it's ability for making damn good power but more so for being a very stout engine and in plentiful and reasonably priced supply .

^ in rereading this thread most seem to have this idea that putting motor X Y or Z into a car will just make it instantly reliable. That is not really the case. While the motor itself may cause no issues many other factors may. Something as simple as, what power stearing pump to run, oil pan getting in the way, weight change, balence change, having to modify suspension, moddifying stearing parts, drive line..... and while stock parts have become rare..... custom one off parts are way more rare, and not something you "might" find at a local parts store or interwebs.

What's the best trans to use with a jz? Thinking about 1jz swapping an older Mercedes coupe next.

A W58 will get the job done , it's not the R154 but up to the task for sure .

^ in rereading this thread most seem to have this idea that putting motor X Y or Z into a car will just make it instantly reliable. That is not really the case. While the motor itself may cause no issues many other factors may. Something as simple as, what power stearing pump to run, oil pan getting in the way, weight change, balence change, having to modify suspension, moddifying stearing parts, drive line..... and while stock parts have become rare..... custom one off parts are way more rare, and not something you "might" find at a local parts store or interwebs.

so what swap has the less amount of parts to modified

I dont mean firewall or frame

Edited by 87questkid

so what swap has the less amount of parts to modified

I dont mean firewall or frame

87QK,

Ignore the trolls who don't and never will have a swapped SQ and just want to live on the G54 fanwagon forever. If you want a swapped quest listen to the guys that are telling you what they HAVE DONE and are driving. Boho, 19C, and jeph, are all rocking JZ's. The JZ platforms are awesome, and Im working towards that with one of my SQs. Sotty has a daily driving 1uz Lexus aluminum 4 liter V-8 swapped SQ that is unbelievable. I would drive that car anywhere. It is so mild to drive in the city, but is a beast when you romp on it. I was lucky enough to get to ride in it and that would be my very next choice of swapped SQ's. The 4g63 has always been a popular option for the guys that want a better platform but wish to stay Mitsu loyal. Its all preference and what you can afford. If you decide to stay G54, that's cool too. Its not a bad engine once you learn your way around it, and can make decent power with very limited aftermarket support, the other options have a lot more to work with. This topic always starts debates because there are guys on both sides of the discussion that really dislike the other. So, just keep an open mind about what YOU WANT. Its your car man, You are the only one who can say what is right and wrong for it. Cheers,

BC_99

87QK,

Ignore the trolls who don't and never will have a swapped SQ and just want to live on the G54 fanwagon forever. If you want a swapped quest listen to the guys that are telling you what they HAVE DONE and are driving. Boho, 19C, and jeph, are all rocking JZ's. The JZ platforms are awesome, and Im working towards that with one of my SQs. Sotty has a daily driving 1uz Lexus aluminum 4 liter V-8 swapped SQ that is unbelievable. I would drive that car anywhere. It is so mild to drive in the city, but is a beast when you romp on it. I was lucky enough to get to ride in it and that would be my very next choice of swapped SQ's. The 4g63 has always been a popular option for the guys that want a better platform but wish to stay Mitsu loyal. Its all preference and what you can afford. If you decide to stay G54, that's cool too. Its not a bad engine once you learn your way around it, and can make decent power with very limited aftermarket support, the other options have a lot more to work with. This topic always starts debates because there are guys on both sides of the discussion that really dislike the other. So, just keep an open mind about what YOU WANT. Its your car man, You are the only one who can say what is right and wrong for it. Cheers,

BC_99

thank you after seeing this i was talking to the this one guy at work and he has a 90 mark vii 50h0 with a bad trans for 200 bucks 173000 miles.does the mark 7 have the same hp as the mustang

Exactly what I said. Like if the g54b seams unreliable, its the owner's or previous owner's fault. No swap is a magic fix.

I also don't see anyone here being to much on the g54b fan wagon either. I am all for the swap. I personally cant wait to ditch the g54 but don't have the funds to do it and wish I went 4g6x from the start. Its just believing that a swap is some snake oil fix all solution is the problem.

Edited by Malykaii

Well said Britt! Would like to add this: There's nothing wrong w/ a totally stock StarQuest either! No... it's not the speedwagon, lightning fast as the others will be... some will say they are just not reliable stock? Perhaps, but as well... perhaps Not! They are quite a remarkable car just as they are. &... as such, naturally began one to start think'n about modify'n them. The "Need for Speed" runs deep within most of us here. Regardless of what your driving, or how you got your start with the love of cars; & ended up here. This is a good thread as I listen to opinions, & options. Carry on!

Yes Jerry, you are absolutely right, A stock SQ, like your red one, runs well, but are becoming fewer and fewer. And the parts to replace NLA parts are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain. The ISC and TPS comes to mind.

I also don't see anyone here being to much on the g54b fan wagon either.

That comment was meant for the same group of guys I always see chime in and add their 2.6 cents (pun intended) to these threads, about the G54, when the OP just wants info on engine and drivetrain swaps. It clutters the thread uselessly. If a person doesn't have something to add about the swap alternatives that the OP is asking for, then they shouldn't comment here. They can go start their own threads about how much they love the G54 and hate to see SQ's swapped to the dreaded JZ's, small block V-8's, and anything but Mitsubishi.

1uz is there parts available for it

Lol to many choices 4g63 is out they dont like me

I don't know how much aftermarket performance stuff there is for it. Honestly though, the one I rode in was plenty fast and sounds unbelievable and in my opinion, didn't need anything to be a ton of fun. The swap looks like it was meant for our engine bay and the drivability is incredible.

BC_99