Red Light Camera Ticket

I got me one of them red light camera tickets just before thanks giving. If I was guilty of the offense I would not be so PO'd. But I don't believe I'm guilty and certainly not of a nearly $500 fine, plus traffic school. Had a police officer witnessed the cirumstances resulting in my crossing the intersection, he would have excercise his descritionary powers and most likely not issued a fine. Traffic was flowing, light was green when I entered the intersection but the car infront stopped suddenly because the car in front of him had stopped. When traffic began to move again the light was turning yellow to red and I triggered the red light camera. My issue is I was already in the intersection and committed to crossing, I could not reverse as that would have been more dangerous than completing to cross.

I hate those stupid red light cameras. I don't see how these things are constitutionally allowed as they consider you guilty before proven innocent. Giving away $500 of my hard earned money seems like a crappy way to start the year.

Anyone ever deal with these things?

Damn! California sucks! I just got one here in Texas...$75 fine...and that's it.

All the fines around here hit the $500 mark. I paid a nearly $700 fine in the tow truck for a BS ticket, in a city that basically set up its laws to trap commercial trucks.

I really don't want to pay another lawyer to help me with this. If I was guilty I probably would'nt feel so ticked off. But darn.

All the fines around here hit the $500 mark. I paid a nearly $700 fine in the tow truck for a BS ticket, in a city that basically set up its laws to trap commercial trucks.

I really don't want to pay another lawyer to help me with this. If I was guilty I probably would'nt feel so ticked off. But darn.

I guess that's how they're pulling the state out of bankruptcy?!!

I got one here in Minnesota a few years ago and had to pay 140 bucks, but it was declared unconstitutional in the state, mainly because you can't always see the driver of the vehicle. I had most of my money returned to me by the state and so did a bunch of other people. You should fight the ticket. Find the statute or law from MN, and ask for pictures showing your face driving the vehicle. Tell them the truth that different people drive the same vehicle sometimes and you can't be held accountable for their actions. PLUS, the cameras should clearly indicate that there was a traffic back-up ahead of your vehicle.

When I was in Houston we voted them out, it wasn't an easy vote as they tied the revenue to the police and EMT's so they were all claiming that red light cameras reduced accidents. Fight it.

in most state they found the red light cameras increased accident rather then decreased them also they shortened the time the yellow light is on by 1 second,, don't sound like much but it increased the ticket issue rate by 200%

Just some information for you, as I don't know the particular codes, laws, etc. in your county, or state. However, please understand this:

You are not allowed to enter into an intersection traffic light that is not "totally clear." Regardless, of it flowing, moving, etc. In actuality (not reality) it must be totally clear before entering, attempting to go through a traffic light controlled intersection. Just as in actuality, there is suppose to be (1) full car length between you & the car ahead of you @ any stop; sign, light. Same hold true of the car behind you. So on & so on. Also, a car lengths spacing between you & the vehicle in front of you for every 10 mph the vehicle is traveling. ( 55 mph/5.5 vehicle lengths between you & the other vehicle ahead)

They are making a killing around here w/ these camera ticket machines! I know several who have tried fighting them: LOST! Then again... I know of others who never pay them, (thousands of $ in fines) & seem to get away w/ it. Go figure? The couple I have received had a nice clear back shot of my bald head... could have been someone totally different???

Just some information for you, as I don't know the particular codes, laws, etc. in your county, or state. However, please understand this:

You are not allowed to enter into an intersection traffic light that is not "totally clear." Regardless, of it flowing, moving, etc. In actuality (not reality) it must be totally clear before entering, attempting to go through a traffic light controlled intersection. Just as in actuality, there is suppose to be (1) full car length between you & the car ahead of you @ any stop; sign, light. Same hold true of the car behind you. So on & so on. Also, a car lengths spacing between you & the vehicle in front of you for every 10 mph the vehicle is traveling. ( 55 mph/5.5 vehicle lengths between you & the other vehicle ahead)

They are making a killing around here w/ these camera ticket machines! I know several who have tried fighting them: LOST! Then again... I know of others who never pay them, (thousands of $ in fines) & seem to get away w/ it. Go figure? The couple I have received had a nice clear back shot of my bald head... could have been someone totally different???

This. Why would you drive into an intersection if you have no where to go. Once the light turns red you are sitting there like an impatient a*************** blocking traffic because you couldn't wait 2 minutes.

I have when people do this for left turns too. They make the the turn on the arrow and then we get the green and they aren't out of the intersection just sitting there because traffic is blocked up.

If you have no where to go you sit at the line and wait for space to present itself.

Edited by Starion86ESI

This. Why would you drive into an intersection if you have no where to go. Once the light turns red you are sitting there like an impatient a*************** blocking traffic because you couldn't wait 2 minutes.

I have when people do this for left turns too. They make the the turn on the arrow and then we get the green and they aren't out of the intersection just sitting there because traffic is blocked up.

If you have no where to go you sit at the line and wait for space to present itself.

Man, people in this forum need a King Kong chill pill. I drive for a living and I follow the rules of the road. I didn't purpose cross the intersection to block the road like "an impatient A*****" who couldn't wait 2 minutes.

The light was green, as I approached and entered partially into the intersection, two cars ahead of me some tard was stopped suddenly to try and make an illegal U- turn, causing a chain reaction that left me in the middle of the intersection for very brief seconds. As it turned yellow we began to move but the yellow light was a darn near instant to red. I was already committed into the intersection, it would have been much more dangerous on a major LA street in heavy traffic for me to try and reverse out of the intersection.

Jeff, I read the article. Looks like our Gov. Jerry Brown gave in to the lobbyist knocking on his door to reinstate those stupid cameras.

I received the citation along with the several pictures of my car. In the picture you can clearly see the cars ahead of me, behind me, next to me.

Man, people in this forum need a King Kong chill pill. I drive for a living and I follow the rules of the road. I didn't purpose cross the intersection to block the road like "an impatient A*****" who couldn't wait 2 minutes.

The light was green, as I approached and entered partially into the intersection, two cars ahead of me some tard was stopped suddenly to try and make an illegal U- turn, causing a chain reaction that left me in the middle of the intersection for very brief seconds. As it turned yellow we began to move but the yellow light was a darn near instant to red. I was already committed into the intersection, it would have been much more dangerous on a major LA street in heavy traffic for me to try and reverse out of the intersection.

Jeff, I read the article. Looks like our Gov. Jerry Brown gave in to the lobbyist knocking on his door to reinstate those stupid cameras.

I received the citation along with the several pictures of my car. In the picture you can clearly see the cars ahead of me, behind me, next to me.

Aren't the sensors that trigger behind the line not in the intersection...

Aren't the sensors that trigger behind the line not in the intersection...

I have no idea. Could be, my rear tires were into the white line. It was a really small crossing, one those of bus carpool lane only.

California "anti-grid lock" Law states

"22526. (a) Notwithstanding any official traffic control signal

indication to proceed, a driver of a vehicle shall not enter an

intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on

the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate

the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of

vehicles from either side."

CVC 21453(a): 21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (B).

CVC 21452(a): 21452. (a) A driver facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal is, by that signal, warned that the related green movement is ending or that a red indication will be shown immediately thereafter.

Implication: As long as you enter the crosswalk or, if there is none, the intersection, before the light turns red, you have not run the red light.

You can legally enter a intersection on yellow, but if you cross the line on the red light you are running a red "touchdown" rule. Something about your story doesn't add up.

I just got this Whistler radar detector from Costco for $80, and it picks out all the red light cameras easily using GPS! As soon as you are within 500 ft. of one, it warns you and even tells you how many feet away you are from it as you approach it! Awesome!!!! I tested it out on several intersections here in NJ that have these damn cameras, and it works perfectly!

This is it right here: http://www.whistlergroup.com/radar-detector-catalog/lr-300gp-product.aspx?id=346

Edited by BoostedBimmer

You can legally enter a intersection on yellow, but if you cross the line on the red light you are running a red "touchdown" rule. Something about your story doesn't add up.

That's what I was thinking to. Other then our mobile speed one's all the light one's are triggered by 2 sets of sensors both before the stop bars.

You could always just get a lowered truck with a plate frenched well under your bumper...... problem solved. Worked for my truck for years.

I just got this Whistler radar detector from Costco for $80, and it picks out all the red light cameras easily using GPS! As soon as you are within 500 ft. of one, it warns you and even tells you how many feet away you are from it as you approach it! Awesome!!!! I tested it out on several intersections here in NJ that have these damn cameras, and it works perfectly!

This is it right here: http://www.whistlerg...uct.aspx?id=346

I've already got a radar detector, but I'm going to have a couple of these when I get back to work.