broke ANOTHER hood release cable da*#@it

TexasQuest

Broke a 2nd hood release cable I've replaced in 4 yrs. I know this is a common problem on these cars and I've always replaced it with a used one which maybe why they are failing. I'm gonna get the new one from Dad hoping that this one will last more than a few years unlike the other used ones I've had. :angry:

Mine is a PITA to open. I have to pull hard to get it to pop. I tried to align the hood better, but no dice. It's been like that the 14 years I've owned the car and never broke a cable ... *knock's on wood*

Ditto to what ucw458 said. I've only had two snap on me on the 7 cars that I've owned over the past 21 years. Both snapped because the latch assembly was crudded up and not lubricated. I've never even purchased a new cable assembly...both times I installed a used one and never had an issue.

Take out the latch assembly and run it thru a parts washer with mineral spirits. Get it shiney clean and make sure the latch mechanism has no binding. It should move freely with your fingers with minimal effort. Grease the pins with a quality grease. Reinstall and lubricate the latch with the same grease.

As others suggested, make sure the pin on the hood is adjusted properly to the latch mechanism. Loose the bolts for the hood pin and adjust as required. Just letting the hood sit popped and raised via the spring will give you enough room to eyeball the pin to make sure it is centered. With the bolts loosened, you can adjust easily.

kev

Take the advice from Kev. A replacement fix is take a piece of the cable to Lowe's, Home Depot or such. Match up the size, I don't remember if was 5/16th or what, and get 10 feet of it an some of the same size crimping furrels (not sure of the spelling, correct name). The 10 feet is more than needed but gives you some to work with, lube and slide thru the sheath, wrap, crimp and cut off extra cable. Mine has worked flawless going on 3 years.

This response is totally useless.

Jimmy

Clearly, it was just a joke but at the same time, i think he has his answer, misaligned latch, stiff latch, binding cable, etc. i changed mine because of a misaligned latch after my front end collision i had. The cable was pushed up against the condensor aswell iirc