Abs delete ?

bigjoe

The main reason people do it is the abs is no longer functioning on their cars. Also it is a very dated system using only the rear wheels and many people opt for disabling it.

The way to do it is to bypass the abs modulator thats on the passenger side firewall. Basically running a brake line from the master cylinder straight to the proportioning valve.

In my opinion it's better removed since it firms up the brake pedal and cleans up the engine bay as well.

it's east to do just remove the abs unit and reroute the line back to the proportioning valve.make sure u put a clamp on the brake booster to keep air from entering the brake lines mine still worked when i pulled mine. but like texas said they are a eye sore or dont work any more . Edited by conquest9113

Mine actually broke on me and sucked all the brake fluid out of my reservoir....

Run to Napa auto parts, grab a 30" brake line PN Bk8131263. I ended up cutting about 4" off of it to get it to fit better, and I had to double flare the ends, but it was still the best $5.50 mod I've done so far. It uncluttered my engine bay and the brakes feel way better.

i prefer mine gone, when mine went bad i hit the brakes at 100MPH and my pedal started pushing back against me.. talk about a fun ride! since i removed it ive had no issues. and i have yet to actually lock my brakes up, ive been on them pretty hard. I prefer no rear abs personally.

i prefer mine gone, when mine went bad i hit the brakes at 100MPH and my pedal started pushing back against me.. talk about a fun ride! since i removed it ive had no issues. and i have yet to actually lock my brakes up, ive been on them pretty hard. I prefer no rear abs personally.

Why didn't your Rear ABS System work???? Lack of maintenance? Hell, my Rear ABS system works great, even after 26 years. Not maintaining a system that works fine, doesn't give you guys the right to post crap about it. How do you know that the Rear ABS failed when you hit the brakes at 100 MPH???? After all, the brakes will PULSATE on a ABS set up.... I've hit mine hard at 90 mph....No problems here. And my Rear ABS System is still installed on my car ;)

Here is the problem. Most of you newer and younger members think you can go real fast with less weight on the car. Yea, you can.....But at what cost? Safety? Just keep removing or disconnecting parts off of these cars that provide safe stopping conditions instead of fixing them. Read the Factory Service Manual.......Some of you that tell others to disconnect or remove parts when you don't know:" What in the hell your talking about" should be instructed by the moderators to read the Factory Service Manual in its entirety, so as not to give false answers or endanger newer members.

As a long term member on this site (11 years) and a long time owner of a Starion (24 years) I feel that I and the moderators on this site owe the newer members on SQC........ Safe information!!!!!

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

here we go, read the factory service manual yourself cal, it doesnt say to upgrade your car.. everything in you signature is wrong according to the factory service manual cal! Why did my ABS fail? i dont know, but when it did fail it could have ended very badly since i was standing on my pedal with both feet and my pedal was pushing back at me.. i suppose i should have left it on there until i killed some poor family because i was riding around on defective unit, that would have been a much wiser decision.. I get so sick of your "read the service manual" blah blah on this forum because according to the factory service manual you shouldnt be changing the things you did on your car. it doesnt advice that anywhere in the manual. We all know by now that your car is superior to all and was built in the heavens and sent down to bless the earth.. sorry cal, i couldnt buy my car new and maintain it like it should have been, mainly because i was just a few months old when it rolled off the assembly line.. i also couldnt buy new parts the replace the ABS system, and i seen no need in buying more used (who knows if they were maintained) ABS parts off of another car that might fail and put me in the same situation i was already in. Therefor it was better for me to remove mine. I also understand how to drive and have never locked up my car WITHOUT my rear abs.. works like a charm pal.. My information was just as useful as yours.. thanks.

here we go, read the factory service manual yourself cal, it doesnt say to upgrade your car.. everything in you signature is wrong according to the factory service manual cal! Why did my ABS fail? i dont know,

I know...... Because you didn't do any research in the FSM on maintaining and troubleshooting the Rear ABS System.

I get so sick of your "read the service manual" blah blah on this forum because according to the factory service manual you shouldnt be changing the things you did on your car.

Reading the Factory Service Manual has served me well for 23 years, You should try doing it sometime ;) Also, I have never changed or removed any part on my Starion that has compromised the safety of driving my Starion. Can you make the same statement ?

Why you or any other member on SQC would tell others that removing Safety parts installed on our cars is alright, whether it be the ABS, Charcoal Cansiter,Vapor hoses, Fuel Check Valve or the Overfill limiter Valve is beyond me

If you want to be a contributing member on SQC, get your information correct prior to posting and do some research in the FSM on safety features that are installed on these cars ;)

So much about your opinion towards me :D

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Hit the brakes at 90 mph. with and without Rear ABS.....Then tell me which way you would want it to be ;)

Bill

I've hit the brakes hard at 160+ in a car without ABS on track tires with 13" rotors and some huge 4 piston calapers with 0 issue. If you know how to drive ABS is a handycap in that you don't know when it's going to engage, once it does some systems don't stop until stoped or slowed down allot. Why not be in contorl of everything rather then have the contorl taken away from you?

Are you also one of the fan boys who loves ABS on a motorcycle? Because motorcycle ABS is even worse.

This is what is wrong with this world.... always adding these "safty systems" and "driver ades" rather then making the drivers really learn how to drive. If they would make driving more dangerous maybe people would pay more attention and learn how to drive. I think they should add a spke to the drivers air bag that goes off and impales the driver that causes the accident.

There used to be a write-up on the ABS elimination w/ pics and all that in the old FAQ section. I was going to link it up for the original poster, but I can't find it. Anybody know where it got too? It's not under the "suspension, steering, brakes" or the "archives".

our ABS sucks any how because it uses a damn g-meter instead of actual wheel speed. so, essentially, if you have upgraded your suspension, your tires, and your brake pads, you will theorhetically be slowing the car down faster than it was intended and then your rear ABS is going to kick in and start ruining your day.

my car was used and who knows what condition that stuff was in, but the rear would shudder nearly every time I was braking aggressively. car has been much more drivable with the ABS removed IMHO.

ideally I would love to install true 4 wheel abs that uses wheel speed sensors. but thats a dream from another time.