3d Printing.....starion parts

Walker

Anyone give consideration to this as a possibility for replacement parts? I haven't seen any of the stuff first hand and was wondering about the quality/durability/flexibility of plastic pieces made by such a printer

I wish I knew more about the process, but from what I've read, the parts can have very good durability as long as the proper polymer is used. I think the biggest issue with those parts are heat. Different polymers will have different melt temps, so some polymers would hold up to heat better than others. That said, as long as you were making something that wouldn't be affected by heat, you'd have no worries. From what I hear, small parts are pretty reasonable price-wise, but the bigger the parts, the quicker the price goes higher. You won't find too many people with a big 3d printer, and when you do, their prices will be really high so they can get quick return on their expensive investment.
  • Like 1

We have one at my work that uses ABS. The problem, as already stated, is the cost. The plastic comes in a spool that's fed through the machine. I helped a student make a 6 x 6 trophy base just before thanksgiving and it was almost 70 dollars just to print it. We were able to adjust the density of the material to get it around 40, but, China could probably produce that same part for under 5 bucks. And, b/c the ABS is layered, it's particularly strong against the "grain", but not so strong w/ the grain.

I've only been working w/ 3D printer about year and a 1/2, but that's my 02.

i was more interested in things like interior panels or trim pieces in alternate colors :)

i suspect in a couple more years it will be more common and affordable

Well, let me put it like this. They're currently testing out printing homes out in concrete/wood/whatever. They're really big in the medical devices field, and pretty soon will be moving into the construction field.

Emergency release buttons would be doable. I can probably even make them now, I'd just have a draw up a CAD file which shouldn't be too hard.

Little things like buttons and knobs would work out, entire panels would depend on the machine and size platten that is has. I think ours is 12 x 12 and the whole machine is the size of a fridge.

I've been to trade shows where I've sat in on talks about rapid prototypers and the "future". One guy was saying they were hoping when machines became cheap enough you could own one at your home, pay for a printable file on-line, download it, and print out your broken "whatever" instead of going to a hardware store or ordering a part. Crazy stuff. :blink:

We have one at my work that uses ABS. The problem, as already stated, is the cost. The plastic comes in a spool that's fed through the machine. I helped a student make a 6 x 6 trophy base just before thanksgiving and it was almost 70 dollars just to print it. We were able to adjust the density of the material to get it around 40, but, China could probably produce that same part for under 5 bucks. And, b/c the ABS is layered, it's particularly strong against the "grain", but not so strong w/ the grain.

I've only been working w/ 3D printer about year and a 1/2, but that's my 02.

Is it possible to print 1 layer one way and the next layer the other way? This way it's ridgid in both grain paterns?

They are very affordable now days. http://www.robotshop.com/makerbot-replicator-2-3d-printer.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=jos We do a decent amount of printing at work. When the engine compartments are designed, they print and exact engine, like everything headers pullys, belts, the whole deal. Pretty dope.

They are very affordable now days. http://www.robotshop...tm_campaign=jos We do a decent amount of printing at work. When the engine compartments are designed, they print and exact engine, like everything headers pullys, belts, the whole deal. Pretty dope.

yeah my mom's new husband works for Alcoa and they print up allot of stuff after it's designed and before it's forged in metal.

I don't know for sure but I would assume it's easy as changing the spool of material fed to it. I would immagin they have one's with multiple feeds? The link above shows samples in multiple colors, don't know if that's printed that way or painted after.

His only prints in one color so I would think you have to paint the accents. His is a DP flange he made me

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/44708_2609134244229_551455762_n.jpg

You can buy spools in different colors. Sometimes the color effects price. For instance, grey and white are pretty common and so they are usually cheaper, other colors can cost more. Because most 3D printing is used in a prototyping situation parts are usually just roughed up with sandpaper and painted for effect. In my experience it's tough to get a manufacturers grade finished look out of a 3D printer. I took some pictures of some stuff we've done at work, I'll post them up next time I'm on. Edited by techboy

Did some digging into this and there are two types. One type uses spools of plastic like weed whipper trimer line, and one type uses dry powder and prints a glue (this type uses ink jet carts and can inject color while printing) but this type is WAY out of the the home users range, and they are also massive, as after each pass a layer of fresh powder has to be rolled over it. It must also pass under drying heaters to dry the previous layer before the next layer is applied. This type has the advantage of it can print in other material types (as long as there is a suitable emulsifiyer and the matarial can be powderized) Edited by jszucs

We have a rapid prototype machine where I work. We make all kinds of odds and ends typically for inspection fixtures or something to aid in machining. The material isn't terribly durable or pleasing to look at. In order to make colors they add Rit dye to the mixture but the color leaves a lot to be desired.

• 1 year later...

We've got two makerbots at the job, and a shelf full of ABS and PLA. Also have a 3D scanner. I've made a few things with it including a shift knob out of clear PLA with a red LED in it and a steel threaded insert.

I'm still playing around with it to get consistent but there are a lot of car parts on thingverse.com and other sites where free models are available to get ideas. You can adjust the density of the model, from almost solid to a sort of honeycomb inside but so far the outer surfaces have a texture to them, but that can be smoothed out a few different ways. The PLA material is super strong, the ABS isn't as strong and doesn't adhere to itself as well but is cheaper. There are limitless possibilities, I've been thinking about what little parts that always break would be wanted.