lol has this ever happened to anyone ??

BrokenquestTSI

this has happened to me on multiple occasions in pretty much every conquest i have owned: ill be at a car wash place just to only use theyre highpowered vacuum so i can detail my car thoroughly.. once im done, after i have spent about an hour or 2 there, i get in my car and it doesnt start. lmfao. very embarrassing! turn the key an theres just nothin.. so you casually pop your hood while lookin so no one sees. lmao. im sorry but i find this hilarious! lolol

I'll top that one. My wife took the red '87 to Universal Studios to pick up my niece from her work. She was parked right in front of the Universal Studios sign where all the darn pepoe traffic is at, it was night time, car shut off and wouldnt start again. She and my niece pushed it down the hill to roll start it!

My wife came home fuming mad and embarrassed. My niece wanted to quit her job from embarrassment! lol

this has happened to me on multiple occasions in pretty much every conquest i have owned: ill be at a car wash place just to only use theyre highpowered vacuum so i can detail my car thoroughly.. once im done, after i have spent about an hour or 2 there, i get in my car and it doesnt start. lmfao. very embarrassing! turn the key an theres just nothin.. so you casually pop your hood while lookin so no one sees. lmao. im sorry but i find this hilarious! lolol

never had that one

sounds like a bad connection at the battery, or the eci fuseable link

That car wash one never happened to me. Did the battery go dead or what? Two hours? Did you go through alot of quarters?

Car wash one happened to me once. Was an old toyota and some water got under the dizzy cap. Ran horrible and barely moved till I found someone to loan me a screwdriver.

was in las vegas and i let my cousin drive my 87

to the corner store. it dies as he was waiting to

turn left in to the parking lot. a cop used his car

to push him in to the parking lot. Darn fusible links...

just wiggled them and it started.

The charge wire rotted off my alt in my 87 once. I didn't catch it right away. I was waiting in the left turn lane at one of the busiest intersections in my town. 2 left turn lanes, 4 straight and one right turn lane each way. I had just got off work too so it was rush hour. Anyway my radio started freaking out, the turn signals, AC and windows stopped working. Then the engine started sputtering and stalled. I'm looking at the dash thinking WT... Tried to restart and would only click. Then I noticed the volt gauge hovering around 7 volts. Tons of people got to watch my brother and I push the car through that left turn and into a parking lot. Left it hooked up to jumper cables for about 30 minutes then drove it home and fixed the charge wire.

This happened years ago. Long before I did the resto.

lets see you take 2k plus water pressure and wash every thing down then are amaze'd the car don't start :)

you can clean the engine and compartment but some preperation is in order first , high voltage and water don't nix well,,

i'd sugest only doing this when you have air pressure avaliable to blow dry the wireing and connectors fuse links etc , once your done ,,and stay away from dist and coil and fuse box's etc

a warm engine wil air dry better then a cold engine (warm not hot )

lets see you take 2k plus water pressure and wash every thing down then are amaze'd the car don't start :)

you can clean the engine and compartment but some preperation is in order first , high voltage and water don't nix well,,

i'd sugest only doing this when you have air pressure avaliable to blow dry the wireing and connectors fuse links etc , once your done ,,and stay away from dist and coil and fuse box's etc

a warm engine wil air dry better then a cold engine (warm not hot )

no one said they washed motors lol

i washed the engine in my 4.3 89 s15 once, sat in the bay for an hour before i did. ended up cracking the headgasket. which went out later after blowing the heater core lol

It happen to me the second of driving my car at the gas station. I filled up and turned the key nothing.

While I was under the hood a guy stopped and told me his father had two of these car sitting under a car port.

He asked me if I wanted buy them. I said no not if they are going to run like this :P

A couple months later I wrecked my quest and the same guy stopped at the wreck and told me his father still had the quest and did i want to buy them.

I did :D

yeah it happens.... nothing to be ashamed of. Especial if you got something older. With modern cars not needing oil for 7 8 9 10K coolent in 100K coil packs for 50-80K ECT....people seem to forget you use to work on cars ALL the time...... Even basic stuff. I have a great reminder from my grandfather (he use to own a gurage / service station) And it's an old tablet with columns for DAILY oil, water, belts ect checks..... people don't even check oil ECT when filling up..... some people don't even know you need to change the oil in cars.

Then if you get into moding stuff, there is always something that will throw you a curve ball... have some random draw, blow a fuse and no power to some other system ECT.

Be happy you know enough to get her going again, and got the skills to basic trouble shoot. We have even lost that in recent time.

with a ground control'd swt system like the quest use's it's not often you will blow a fuse,,most of your problems are gona be connections loose or dirty ,,and fixing those is normaly free or low cost ,,just time

not sure why people always says i must have a short when some thing electrical don't work,,odds are more often it's a loose or missing connection

a short means a blown fuse or fuse link

yeah it happens.... nothing to be ashamed of. Especial if you got something older. With modern cars not needing oil for 7 8 9 10K coolent in 100K coil packs for 50-80K ECT....people seem to forget you use to work on cars ALL the time...... Even basic stuff. I have a great reminder from my grandfather (he use to own a gurage / service station) And it's an old tablet with columns for DAILY oil, water, belts ect checks..... people don't even check oil ECT when filling up..... some people don't even know you need to change the oil in cars.

Then if you get into moding stuff, there is always something that will throw you a curve ball... have some random draw, blow a fuse and no power to some other system ECT.

Be happy you know enough to get her going again, and got the skills to basic trouble shoot. We have even lost that in recent time.

I have a friend who purchased a new Toyota Corolla S, he drove it nearly 30K miles without changing the break in oil!! Needless to say that engine didn't last long, he traded it in when a "ticking" noise developed.

Can you imagine putting someone who's only owned EFI modern cars into a carburated car of the 60's? They wouldnt know what the heck to do. "What you mean Choke?" Or "what? Give it gas to start?" lol

I love reading stuff like this. Makes me feel normal.

My remote wire to the starter had a worn connector. Every time I started the car it would come off. So every time I came out to my car I just popped the hood and reconnected it. Friends all found it very funny. Did this for a few months. It was just a hillbilly anti theft device.

I have a friend who purchased a new Toyota Corolla S, he drove it nearly 30K miles without changing the break in oil!! Needless to say that engine didn't last long, he traded it in when a "ticking" noise developed.

Can you imagine putting someone who's only owned EFI modern cars into a carburated car of the 60's? They wouldnt know what the heck to do. "What you mean Choke?" Or "what? Give it gas to start?" lol

hahhahahah. Yeah I know it's sick isn't it....... and it's even worse then that. They would have no idea how to even drive it with a real cable connecting to the throtel plate.

I was just thinking about this, on the drive to work as this guy in a 2011 Z06 looked like he could barely keep the car in his own lane. I got to thinking.... how can this guy even own a car like this, why O why does it have all the driver asist it does.... If that were a "real" car he would never be driving it.

Check in the battery area, The white car in my sig had a similar issue. I could be driving down the road and the car would randomly shut off, no power to a single thing. Happened in traffic one time, man that was embarrassing and scary. I started wiggling the connectors by the battery and I could hear the relays clicking. I took apart a few of the connectors and foud a loose femal spade, tightened it up with some needle nose pliers and never had an issue again.

Check in the battery area, The white car in my sig had a similar issue. I could be driving down the road and the car would randomly shut off, no power to a single thing. Happened in traffic one time, man that was embarrassing and scary. I started wiggling the connectors by the battery and I could hear the relays clicking. I took apart a few of the connectors and foud a loose femal spade, tightened it up with some needle nose pliers and never had an issue again.

problems like this is elimenate'd in the maintiance detailing that should have been done in the first week of owning the car ,, then the problem would nver have happen'd :)

problems like this is elimenate'd in the maintiance detailing that should have been done in the first week of owning the car ,, then the problem would nver have happen'd :)

I beg to differ, most people do not just go randomly threw their electrical system checking for loose connections (like a loose spade) until something pops up as a problem.

I beg to differ, most people do not just go randomly threw their electrical system checking for loose connections (like a loose spade) until something pops up as a problem.

well in that case they did not buy a Conquest and did not read some of the sugestions in the FAQ about what to do now that you own a turbo car ,,also those that wait to have problems before looking at preventiave maintiance will always be the ones seting beside the road looking mad as hell

also MOST people are not mechanices , so no matter what car they have the result will always be the same when dealing with 20 + old cars ,,this site and others are here to help those people

but the reality of cars today is what you learn working on a conquest will carry over to almost any newer car ,,i'd say a good 90% of all cars these days are ground control'd power flow systems

Want to talk about embarassing? Back in 1998 a friend and I went to a major SEC football game in my 86 Tsi I had then. When we parked before the game I noticed a little smoke from the exhaust while I was letting the car cool down. After the game we are trying to leave the where we parked and car weren't moving and there were a million people on foot. All of the sudden the smoke increases 1000% and we are getting all kinds of stares. People thought the car was on fire. It was like spy hunter smoke screen style. We ended up pulling back into a parking spot and went to a bar on foot. Came back hours later.

I remember about 10 years ago driving through a ritzy neighborhood at night to swim in a pool where a friend was house sitting. We were told to keep really quiet (5 college kids in sports cars). The distributor cap said eff that and loosened up a screw in the dizzy. It bounced around randomly firing the plugs as it pleased. Sounded like gunshots until it finally shut off. Sort of embarassing. One of the earlier roadside fixes if I remember right. I think the 2.6 lasted a few more months and then spun a bearing and I went with a 4G63. The rest was history.

i spend along time at the carwash lol i remove my seats so i can vacuum as much as possible. amoung doing several other things. (once i start workin on my car, its very hard to stop lol)

And the problems i was having have been solved through trial and error about 4 or 5 different times. lol. Still love my car though. :)

Edited by BrokenquestTSI