People on foodstamps who have cell phone. =/

patra_is_here

i didn't realize this was a pretty heated topic.

so, as a society of open minded, critical thinkers, read this page (it may be too long for some of you), and let me know which side you fall on.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/09/12/your-lack-of-insight-and-compassion-make-you-ugly/

did the article bring up good points?

was there evidence you felt was left out?

did the author use a valid system of critical thought?

florida DID just that. less than 1% tested positive, and the program COST more money to run that it saved by denying welfare. We lost money by testing for drugs. and btw, the 'test for drugs' was promoted, pushed, and lobbied by a single company, the very company who is in charge of running the drug tests, and who subsequently profited the tax-payers money.

so, testing for drugs is irrelevant.

and, btw, most foodstamp recipients are single moms. so, if the mom was using drugs, you're pretty much forcing the child to starve.

and, why exactly is drug use bad?? people drink alcohol. people take aspirins. people have doctors recs for medical marijuana. and if you say that the welfare check was spent on drugs, what about in the case where someone gave them the drugs?

Edited by patra_is_here

People with a cell phone who are on food stamps???

Reduce their welfare payment by what it costs them for cell phone service ;) And make them remove snow from the sidewalks or sweep them in the warmer climates.

I have no pity for people on Welfare if they can afford a cell phone. Hell, I have a basic plan on two cell phones. One for my wife and one for me. My cell phone bill for basic service without texting, photos, apps or any of the bells and whistles.....$80.00 per month.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I have seen the abuse first hand. My job has put me smack-dab in the middle of the public housing here and a good portion of the people there have no drive to better themselves. No all of them, but many of them. Their places are decent when they move in, they TRASH them. Housing has two guys in one complex that spend between 2 and 4 hours every day walking around picking up the trash from the night before. It's a safe work environment in the morning...until about 2 pm when the complex "comes alive" with the music and the liquor. Some of the cars are crap, some of them are nicer than anything I've ever owned. I know there are honest, truly deserving people out there who need the hand up. I'm not begrudging them the help they need. But there are also people who take, and take, and take, like it's owed to them. The system needs an overhaul.

I think IMHO this thread would have been relevant 15 or 20 years ago when cell phone use by

the general public was relatively new.

Cell phone ownership is a nessesity in order to be contacted or schedule appointments with social services.

^^ wv for example provides a cell phone.

A used basic cell phone can be had for free, if not given as a gift and

supported as a life line by relatives, and is on average 20 or more dollars cheaper than a landline.

Where I might add is affixed to a permanent residence and many people who obtain food stamps do not have.

The problem that California was having is people selling food stamps for cash, and that might be because

people are so reliant on there own private transportation, and gas prices being so high

Public transportation is unrealisticly scheduled for even a 40 mile round trip will take you an hour to two hours each way.

Thats about the same as pedaling a bike.

Noone has landlines anymore so everyone has a cell. Including illegal immigrants and kids in kindergarten and welfare recipients.so kinda like already said you need it to be contacted by potential employers etc. And if you can't be cool and have a job youbvan get some.status and spend your welfare money on a I phone. Its the structure of our society.

A brief skim of the article tells me it's annoying and verbose. If they were trying to get their point across, they would have made a basic outline instead of ranting and making it lengthy to make themselves seem "intelligent". Good reasons as to why I didn't bother reading it, but the greatest reason I didn't read it is because they used those lame overused images (overused by the same people who like iPhones/Apple).

Cell phones are pretty much the same as having a landline these days, which we've come to rely on in the US as a main form of communication. If you don't understand that, then you are ignorant.

-Robert

wow robert, your lack of reading caused you to completely miss the point. the article stems from people using those images as a vehicle for bigotry and hatred of the poor.

this applies to everyone:

IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE ARTICLE, don't post your comments.

this thread is specifically about the article.

Interesting article seeing as most of us think of druggies/blacks/hispanics being the main welfare recipiants. I think the republican media(yes each news station had an affiliation and bias) portrays people who take welfare that way though. Welfare isnt going anywhere but health care should only ever be added when we fix our deficit(like what 13 trillion dollars?) and get a balanced budget(very long time since one of these was used). Our deficit is essentialy a ticking time bomb that presidents have been throwing at each other since just before reagan.

in wv welfare provides you with a cell phone...

There's alot of States where free cell phone service is provided to low income families. I believe some of thise programs are paid for by communication providers as part of a deal they struck with politicians. I can't remember the exact details of it, it's been a while since I worked for "the man."

wow robert, your lack of reading caused you to completely miss the point. the article stems from people using those images as a vehicle for bigotry and hatred of the poor.

read,,the entire thing is junk ,

my question is have you ever had bad things happen to you and were you offer'd any sort of help durring the time it took to get back on your feet

in my short life i have had the bad luck to have had medical problems that led me to be off work for more then one full year at a time , this has happen'd 5 times in my life ,,and just how much help did i recive from any of these government programs ,

nota not one dine , except for the time i was declear'd 100 % dissable'd , then they offer''d me a check for $125.00 , this was not in good faith it was to cause me to loose the 8 months back dissability payments i was intittle'd to ,,so for $125 they save'd $8,000.00

and not once durring all that time did i get food stamps or any other $$ from them , nore have i ever recive'd a single unemployment check

now for cell phones, if you have a medical problem or a wife that may be driveing your kids arround , for their protection a cell phn is a nessassity not a toy , now when i say cell phn i mean just that not one of these fancey new toys .

so some of you need to get off the idea that most poor and needy people are liveing it high of your tax money ,

altho i will agree a great many do

but it's not a problem with the program it's a problem with how it is being use'd

Interesting article, it refers to stereotyoes and misconceptions.

#1 that stands out is that the largest number of welfare recipients are white. Contrary to popular belief and misconception, this has been true since I went to college in 1997. I studied Sociology and Criminal Justice.

The other basic concept the article tried to point out is, never judege a book by its cover. It is erronous and at some point descriminating to assume a person on public assistance is all the negative stereotypes you have been lead to believe and have absorbed as "truth".

It's like when you see a homeless person. By mere site, with no knowledge of that persons life, we make assumptions. Often relying on stereotypes we assumed to be truths, "homeless because they are lazy" or "because they are drug addicts" or "because they are crazy."

Same applies to public assistance stereotypes. There's tons of them, some make assumptions that certain racial groups are welfare scammer (blacks and hispanics).

Other assumptions refer to a persons work ethic "lazy welfare people". Or their education level "ignorant welfare recepients".

The fact is, not one size fits all. There are an array of reasons for a persons social, economic conditions. If you find yourself in a position of prosperity, good for you. But don't thumb your nose down to those who find themselves in lesser conditions, you have no clue what that individual has been through or endured.

Edited by louswheel01

There's alot of States where free cell phone service is provided to low income families. I believe some of thise programs are paid for by communication providers as part of a deal they struck with politicians. I can't remember the exact details of it, it's been a while since I worked for "the man."

"Free" = paid for by tax payers, or if provided by the communications company, the cost is passed on to people who pay for service with that company. The majority of welfare recipients are white trash, with the remainder being black trash and brown trash.... not much yellow trash. My mom's side of the family is 100% white trash, and abuse of the system is the normal method of "making a living".

Keith

Edited by Threedoor

If you look at the context of the website itself the main subject is debunking right wing propaganda.

and that is what the artical is really about misconceptions about people on welfare,

It's not about welfare recepients with cell phones.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/donate/

Ha... ok... it's not even an article, but a rant.

i didn't realize this was a pretty heated topic.

Nearly everything on facebook is a "heated" topic. Thanks for bringing the BS here with a very poorly written "article".

so, as a society of open minded, critical thinkers, read this page (it may be too long for some of you), and let me know which side you fall on.

The link you provided doesn't show much in the way of "open minded" nor "critical thinkers".

did the article bring up good points?

If you consider the point of a needlessly long rant and biased conjecture "good", then yes.

was there evidence you felt was left out?

Evidence to validate her anger and foul language...?? The rant consisted of postings of other people's comments (from facebook) which she disagreed with.

did the author use a valid system of critical thought?

LOL... no. She argues with ignorant people on facebook, there was no critical thought process in that. She was reacting out of anger, probably from being hurt by comments she took personally.

To sum it up, from the parts I skimmed over:

1. She has no job and it's difficult for her to get one at this time.

2. She thinks very highly of herself

3. She wastes time on the internet arguing

4. Her claims to many degrees show very little in her writing prose

So where do I stand on this?? She should spend less time arguing on the internet if she is actually starving, begging for money, and having a difficult time of finding a job that will meet her high demands.

-Robert

Ha... ok... it's not even an article, but a rant.

Nearly everything on facebook is a "heated" topic. Thanks for bringing the BS here with a very poorly written "article".

The link you provided doesn't show much in the way of "open minded" nor "critical thinkers".

If you consider the point of a needlessly long rant and biased conjecture "good", then yes.

Evidence to validate her anger and foul language...?? The rant consisted of postings of other people's comments (from facebook) which she disagreed with.

LOL... no. She argues with ignorant people on facebook, there was no critical thought process in that. She was reacting out of anger, probably from being hurt by comments she took personally.

To sum it up, from the parts I skimmed over:

1. She has no job and it's difficult for her to get one at this time.

2. She thinks very highly of herself

3. She wastes time on the internet arguing

4. Her claims to many degrees show very little in her writing prose

So where do I stand on this?? She should spend less time arguing on the internet if she is actually starving, begging for money, and having a difficult time of finding a job that will meet her high demands.

-Robert

lol, yes, it's no Pullitzer prize winner. But the basic idea is there, stereotypes and myths about people on welfare.

From what I can infer, the writer has suddenly found herself in tough times and maybe on public assistance. She doesn't fit the stereotypes but is assumed she is milking the system because she has personal property that is inconsistent with the stereotype of "poor."

If you qualify for food stamps, then you also qualify for lifeline, a public assistance program that pays some of your cell phone bill.

http://www.fcc.gov/lifeline/

I just looked it up (I've heard it before, but never verified it...), but In oregon, medical marijuana patients that are on OHP(Oregon Health Plan) or SNAP (foodstamps) get a 50% ($100) discount on their registration cards, and SSI folks only pay 10% ($20).

To everyone that is worried that poor people are having too much fun on your dime, I suggest you give up your job, and join the masses of folks enjoying all that comes with living off pubic assistance.

Such leftist drivel, I had to stop reading a couple paragraphs in because all they're doing is reiterating all of the Liberal talking points. The one that irritates me the most is "Also, if you are not white, these rules apply double to you. Because the majority of welfare recipients in the United States are white." You know what? 72% of people in the United States are white, so it seems logical that the majority of welfare recipients would be white as well. If you talk in terms of percentages though, I'd bet my life that there's no chance that 72% of the people on welfare are white.

from my limit'd experiance with some of these programs on a local level nearly 90% of all the socal workers are black, but that may just be a local thing , i do know that with the dept of child welfare localy i have only met one white person

also isn't some time next yr that the white population is supose'd to become a minority