Cool Mitsubishi engine swap options

ucw458

Other than 4g63 or 4g64 what other mitsubishi engines would make a cool swap? I thought about a 6g72 but I just changed the water pump on one and I hated every minute of it.

I'm thinking about doing another SQ but an engine swap this time. No point in doing 2 mpi builds.

Edited by ucw458

Well I don't like diesels. Diesel fumes makes me sick. I just don't want a motor that requires the stock ecu to work properly. Something that can be run on any standalone would be fine. I also don't want to have to spend 10-20k to do the swap.

I had thought about a 1UZ but it's not a mitsu motor. Is the block on that motor aluminum too?

Other than 4g63 or 4g64 what other mitsubishi engines would make a cool swap? I thought about a 6g72 but I just changed the water pump on one and I hated every minute of it. I'm thinking about doing another SQ but an engine swap this time. No point in doing 2 mpi builds.

You know there is a 6g72 rear wheel drive not that ez to find tho .... 6g74 3.5L (200HP) and you could allso do 6g75 3.8L (268HP) Both N/a but would be great with a turbo. 6g74 would be the ez I think of all as they come rear wheel drive.

opps no modern engines requiring extensive computer control (variable cams etc) I guess scrap the 6g75... I think you want to do the 6g74. If you have a 6g72 most of the good parts will bolt right on it.

Edited by TainterRacing

pffft,,,,,, diesel swaps are easy...... no ecu required. all you have to do is power one wire to the mechanical pump and it runs. 4d56 ftw.... i thought about it.... but if you think parts for our cars are hard to find and not very cheep......... try the mitsu wideblock diesels..... back when i built mine, i had to get pistons from Australia.... for $1000 a set of 4. now there on flea bay... and of coure the old mitsu head cracking issues to boot.... so it should feel right at home. hahaha... good luck Jeff!

Well I don't like diesels. Diesel fumes makes me sick. I just don't want a motor that requires the stock ecu to work properly. Something that can be run on any standalone would be fine. I also don't want to have to spend 10-20k to do the swap.

I had thought about a 1UZ but it's not a mitsu motor. Is the block on that motor aluminum too?

That would be fun to play with and believe it or not, those are relatively cheap engines to come by.

But in the Mitsu family, only swap I would bother with is the 4g63/ 64 combo. There is tins of aftermarket for the 4g63s and not to mention they have been proven over and over to make reliable horse power and tons of torque.

Use the Mazda G6 engine. Its a slightly larger 2.6 than ours its in trucks but also vans. There is a non 4x4 5sp its just harder to locate if you don't want to use one of the Rx7 gearboxes or an automatic. Its already mpi, it has balance shafts and it has oil squirters in n/a form. The oil pump is in the timing cover its not chain drive. It also uses the same clutch. Edited by Indiana

Mitsubishi has very limited engine options. You have the 4g63/64, 6g series and the 8 cylinder. Beyond that theres a few diesels and thats IT. If you wanna swap be unique go saab. You can get an upgraded ecu from them. I worked for them and one of the mechanics had a old 9-3 maybe a 900 convertible that stomped a new porsche cheyenne turbo. He told me it cost 2k to make his car that fast. and very easy. Edited by turbojew

WWII radial aircraft engine...

+1

Nakajima Sakae 12 radial engine, 709 kW (950 hp)

this engine powered the zero to a 12-1 kill ratio in dog fighting

in a car I'd expect those results to double. You'd take down 96% of everything else on the road

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a9/Nakajima_Sakae.jpg/300px-Nakajima_Sakae.jpg

It may require a small cowl