Last flight in a Super Hornet

chiplee

i've aways had a hard time wrapeing my head arround the fact that you can be swiming in the lake and litterly just a few miles away freeze to death in the ice and snow

Around here water is cooooooold. You could freeze to death in the lake itself.

-Robert

Last flight?? Why?

Jimmy

Last flight in that particular airplane, and in this particular squadron. I'll be flying F/A-18A+ hornets in Texas, which is the same airplane I flew in my first squadron in Beaufort.

awesome video.. were you the pilot in the front or rear. may i ask about how fast were you flying

Well, there's only one pilot in a Fighter aircraft, and he sits in the front. I sit in the front. At my next squadron there are no two seat airplanes, which is also what I'm used to and what I prefer.

i hope it's because there are no s-hornets in texas. denise said she thought she saw an octaflugeron in the video ! i assured her that only she can pull those off.

That's exactly right, legacy hornets only in Texas, and that's fine by me. I'm ready to fly the same model every day instead of going back and forth from 30 year old jets to the newest jet off the production line. And, no, no 8 part flugerons in that particular video, lol.

may i ask about how fast were you flying

Low level is usually around 480 knots. Applying the 1.15 conversion that comes out to about 550mph. Some scenes look low, but it's the camera. It's never lower than 200ft, which is our absolute min alt.

Low level is usually around 480 knots. Applying the 1.15 conversion that comes out to about 550mph. Some scenes look low, but it's the camera. It's never lower than 200ft, which is our absolute min alt.

i've personaly saw that 200ft limit broken several times here in fl , once it was on a lake he back'd left 90degrees and made a pass arround the lake with lower wing below the tree line , i was in a boat on the lake.

another time i was in a climber 35ft off the ground in a pine tree and one pass'd over head so low that the pressure wave knock'd limbs from trees , i could read the writeing on the hatches , :) it was funny not even a bug made any noise for a good 5 minutes ,

but for a sec i thought the tree i was in was going to topple when the pressure wave hit

and no i was not with in the bombing range

i've personaly saw that 200ft limit broken several times here in fl , once it was on a lake he back'd left 90degrees and made a pass arround the lake with lower wing below the tree line , i was in a boat on the lake.

another time i was in a climber 35ft off the ground in a pine tree and one pass'd over head so low that the pressure wave knock'd limbs from trees , i could read the writeing on the hatches , :) it was funny not even a bug made any noise for a good 5 minutes ,

but for a sec i thought the tree i was in was going to topple when the pressure wave hit

and no i was not with in the bombing range

Lol, it's always 200ft. No matter what you see, if someone asks you how low a guy was, the answer is "200ft". Unless it's a helo and then no one really cares.

Sweet machine. I've loved the Hornets since an air show around age 9 or 10. I was amazed watching it climb vertically and by the sound it makes.... it must be an experience. Any chance you could pick me up at the Bloomington airport and take me for a quick ride?

I kind of felt the same way when I took my last flight in a UH-1 as Door gunner/ Crew Chief. The squadron switched over to UH-60 Blackhawks.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

btw great song. I kept looking for million dollar ride but couldn't figure it out so I finally typed in the lyrics. Volbeat-fallen

Ha, watch out, that song will get lodged in your brain and take 30 minutes of christmas music or something to get it out. Had it out of my head, but it came on sirius so now it's back in there. The route in the video is commonly referred to as the million dollar ride, hence the name of the video.

yea, im sure they let you navy/marine guys do more high-speed/low-elevation runs than our guys. but...its pretty hard on the birds =/

we play around 50-60k. Glad you had a successful fini-flight, i hope your new birds keep you just as safe!

PS. why no max climb? its fini-flight LAW, unless twr gave you crap. and where is your wingman! >:( lol

Edited by spoolinturbo