Dyno today.

franco101

I just found out how to view the rpm run and have emailed it to Imwii hoping he can post it for me. Took the car out today and had a little fun. Hopefully taking it to the track this week and will post results in another thread.

Franco

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found out how to view the rpm run and have emailed it to Imwii hoping he can post it for me. Took the car out today and had a little fun. Hopefully taking it to the track this week and will post results in another thread.

Franco

the attachment didn't make it across in the email. send it again and i'll be glad to put it up.

Great numbers man, and I'm glad my post could help you out. When you get the chance, go through your programmer, write down the values and pop them in a word or excel file and I will update my spreadsheet and post them here if you want. It's things like this that help the progression of our cars.

It's a blast. I am curious about one thing though. When I went on a dyno a couple of years back, the guy had me doig all pulls in 3rd gear. This time, this new guy had me doing pulls in 4th , saying that you want to be in the gear that is a 1 to 1 ratio. Can someone elaborate on that for me.

Thanks

Franco

• 5 months later...

does gearing change the HP to the wheels???

With our cars in 4th gear, the input shaft is directly coupled to the output which would net slightly more horsepower. Otherwise in any other gears, you are always trying to transmit power through 4 extra gears which would net some drivetrain loss.

does gearing change the HP to the wheels???

Dynos read torque not HP. The dyno calculates HP from the torque readings it takes. Gears are torque multipliers. The dyno will read the extra torque and give you an inaccurate readout. To get the most accurate reading of how much power your engine is actually putting to the wheels you do the run in a 1:1 ratio gear like our 4th gear.

Dynos read torque not HP. The dyno calculates HP from the torque readings it takes. Gears are torque multipliers. The dyno will read the extra torque and give you an inaccurate readout. To get the most accurate reading of how much power your engine is actually putting to the wheels you do the run in a 1:1 ratio gear like our 4th gear.

Load cell dynos measure torque and calculate horse power. Inertia dynos like a Dynojet calculate horse power, and if they have a valid rpm measurement, then calculate torque. That's why you can get a horse power reading on a dynojet without any rpm reading based off wheel speed, but no torque reading.

Load cell dynos measure torque and calculate horse power. Inertia dynos like a Dynojet calculate horse power, and if they have a valid rpm measurement, then calculate torque. That's why you can get a horse power reading on a dynojet without any rpm reading based off wheel speed, but no torque reading.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought they all measured torque.

4g63 may see 300hp atw from a 18g at 18psi on a 'generous' dyno. Stock cam g54 don't match them

so those numbers do look a little on the "happy" side. Sumthin's off

Kronus mpi 18g took 28psi for 321hp, and that was 'cammed up' iirc

i find it odd your max hp is at or past 5200 rpms , normaly they start to drop off by then,, did you degree the cam ?

4g63 may see 300hp atw from a 18g at 18psi on a 'generous' dyno. Stock cam g54 don't match them

so those numbers do look a little on the "happy" side. Sumthin's off

Kronus mpi 18g took 28psi for 321hp, and that was 'cammed up' iirc

I think you guys are forgetting this is a 06 turbine with a fresh head and springs. So the set up traded some torque for hp up top. 300/350 at 18 psi looks pretty good to me.

Now if a guy was to run 25 psi on e85 that should up the torque as well as hp and leave the big cam small turbo guys in the dust.

Jinks i tought you left us. By the way i am running a clip on my 05h 18g now.

Edited by StarquestRescue

Horsepower is calculated using the torque the dyno reads as well as the RPM the dyno is spinning at. When you run in a lower gear, while torque output at the wheels is higher, they are also rotating at a slower speed. If there was no additional drivetrain loss from running a different gear and assuming things like tire deflection were not accounted for, the horsepower readings for two different gears would be exactly the same.

Even an intertia dyno works on a similar basis, only they calculate torque from the rate of acceleration as opposed to measuring torque directly using a power absorber and load cell.

Edit: Figured an example was in order. Assuming an engine running 5000 rpm and making 300 ft/lbs of torque. Make one run at 1:1 ratio and a second run at 2:1 ratio.

HP = (Torque x RPM) / 5252

(300 ft/lbs x 5000 RPM) / 5252 = 285.6 HP

Now at 2:1. So this is double the torque and half the RPM.

(600 ft/lbs x 2500 RPM) / 5252 = 285.6 HP

That said, your most accurate dyno pulls will be made in 4th gear, but a pull could be made in a lower gear with a marginal gain in error assuming the tires don't slip from the additional torque placed on them.

Edited by Maxzillian

yeah, hotside is effective, but still won't magicaly turn 63 hp numbers fom a 54. Wish it was that ez

A good cam/proper valve timing is essential, to get the VE up there

When any one of u meticulous sharp cats, pursue a good cam & sweat the details..... the results tell the tale

.... like bluecooks' dad or tainter for eg

eipquest later 60-1 saw 28psi for 430hp. Stock cam, big T4

yeah, hotside is effective, but still won't magicaly turn 63 hp numbers fom a 54. Wish it was that ez

A good cam/proper valve timing is essential, to get the VE up there

When any one of u meticulous sharp cats, pursue a good cam & sweat the details..... the results tell the tale

.... like bluecooks' dad or tainter for eg

eipquest later 60-1 saw 28psi for 430hp. Stock cam, big T4

Umm good flowing exhaust will play a larger roll than a cam in that situation. If your not able realize that by now then your blind. You pointed out cars with good flowing hotsides. Like Robs BIG T4..

Unbottle necking our motor plays a huge factor in the power output of these engines. No efficiency without flow.

just for comparison;

remember coltbostin 4g64 ? junkyard hyundai head/oe cams. 28psi = 564hp. Same mods on a 54 won't see within 100hp

u can 'flow' the nile..... but without cam timing to ingest the air...???

bluecook gained almost 100hp from extensive cam r&d alone. Same turbo with its 'big' hotside. Same hp range

stock cam 54s just don't put up dohc numbers via a big hotside. That's only one blind mans observation tho