fricken progressive...

89PalermoSHP

so my wiperblade split and the arm ended up putting a little scratch in my windshield. after 6 years of coverage and only one windshiled claim(for my old honda), they deny the claim. i guess i should have thrown a rock through it. pisses me off. i told the lady to be sure to add in the claim form that this denial has lost my business. im sure they couldnt care less though :/

Insurance is the biggest racket next to credit.

I was thinking about this the other day when one of those aftermarket warranty commercials came on. Think of it - they spout as if everyone is going to have a $4K trans or engine drop. On my 05 Jag, they wanted me to throw over $6K on the warranty and make a monthly payment HIGHER than what I was paying on the car. I'm sure I'm on the higher end of the spectrum they're dealing with, but let's just say the average total of their insurance payees are $4K. Get 10 people to pay that, and even if 5 of them explode, they're still making mad profit.

Do yourself a favor and just save the money and fix it yourself MUCH cheaper in the long run.

My rates are good so I'm staying w/ my full coverage @ Nationwide, but as soon as they raise it I'm cutting it to just liability.

Insurance adjusters could care less. Actually, adjustors are not on your side. They get paid a commission on the number of estimates they do a day. I believe they get a bonus if they save the insurance company money by denying claims or parts there of. When a claim is taken, they look for the cheapest repair estimate possible by contacting multiple auto dismantlers to give them prices on used or aftermarket parts and then going with the cheapest one.

I manage a body shop and every thing that was said is true. They are all a%$ h#@$.

Most of the appraisers I know are okay but, the insurance companies they work for

will dictate to the appraisers how there estimates should be writen. It's unfortunate, because in the body shop business, the insurance companies need the shops more than the shops need them and yet they want to control how the vehicle gets repaired.

Which of course favors the insurance company and not the actual repair of the vehicle but, you already knew that.

You wanna know who the worst ones are???

Now wait a minute. Your wiper blade which is a maintenance item splits so the arm scrathes the windshield and insurance is supposed to take care of that????.

I would be quite surprised if insurance co. would honor that.

Dad

Now wait a minute. Your wiper blade which is a maintenance item splits so the arm scrathes the windshield and insurance is supposed to take care of that????.

I would be quite surprised if insurance co. would honor that.

Dad

really whats the difference between that and a rock flying out of nowhere and cracking the windshield?? ive got full glass coverage and i didnt intentionally damage my window...

really whats the difference between that and a rock flying out of nowhere and cracking the windshield?? ive got full glass coverage and i didnt intentionally damage my window...

I'm not Raggin you, I'm just surprised that something like that would be covered. The wiper is a maintenance item, like oil and filters, say your engine blew because you did not change your oil filter- would the insurance co be required to pay?

I'm having a Tiff with my homowners insurance right now., hail damage to roof, they went from no cverage to 1 aquare now to doing 1/2 my roof. they are tards.

Dad

Progressive gave you full coverage on your SQ? I was only alowed liability due to the blue book of the car is only like $500. They would not give full coverage cause they will total the car if there is more than $500 in damage. Now the Hyundai was hit barely by a car that was rearended and had like $15 in damage and they completely replaced and painted the rear bumper cover for a total of $1500. Then our premium went up even though we were not even directly involved.

Rock chips are covered by comprehensive, which also covers vandalism, theft and if a tree falls on it. Like Mike said a wiper scratch might not be covered, but a vandalism scratch would.

What you could do is later you get a rock chip. Call a glass place that will handle the claim for you. Or if you have to go through progressive direct do that. A glass guy will come out to change the wind shield and he's not going to care if it has a rock chip or a scratch.

When I had the windshields in my explorer and starion done the insurance company never looked at it before they were replaced. The one thing the insurance wants is an exact date the rock chip happened, so if you waited until you got 4 rock chips like I did, then waited before you got them fixed you have to tell them it just happened.

I recommend comprehensive with a $100 deductible. With most cars, glass companies will pay the deductible or give you a $100 discount so it costs nothing. Comprehensive is not that expensive either.

I'm not Raggin you, I'm just surprised that something like that would be covered. The wiper is a maintenance item, like oil and filters, say your engine blew because you did not change your oil filter- would the insurance co be required to pay?

I'm having a Tiff with my homowners insurance right now., hail damage to roof, they went from no cverage to 1 aquare now to doing 1/2 my roof. they are tards.

Dad

I hear ya Dad. Actually your answer sounded like a, well..., a Dad http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif.

I was thinking about this last nignt, and you know I dont ever over-think stuff http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif, about how screwed up this all is. First I was thinking about the word "accident" and the coverage we pay for for when we have an "accident". You run a red light and smash into someone, you back into a light pole in the parking lot. Well these things are not "accidents" they are from either not paying attention or not looking or being distracted, theres a million reasons, but it is not an "accident". So basically were paying every month in case we have that momentary lapse of reason.

So if you look at my situation in that frame, was I negligent for not being aware the wiper blade was getting old? Yes, this may be common sense for a 20yr old car but at the time I had a million other things other than the wipers to worry about(like a $4000 engine that wouldnt run correctly). Am I required to do a "pre-flight" checklist and keeps logs of it in the rare case my wiperblade splits and the wiper arm scratches the window?

So were covered if we run a red while chatting to our buddy and plow into someone. Were covered if we forgot to look behind while backing and crunch a bumper. Were not covered if the freak chance a wiper blade splits and the arm scratches the window.

I was thinking about this last nignt, and you know I dont ever over-think stuff http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif, about how screwed up this all is. First I was thinking about the word "accident" and the coverage we pay for for when we have an "accident". You run a red light and smash into someone, you back into a light pole in the parking lot. Well these things are not "accidents" they are from either not paying attention or not looking or being distracted, theres a million reasons, but it is not an "accident". So basically were paying every month in case we have that momentary lapse of reason.

I took a defensive driving course like 6 months ago. The dude teaching it told me that they are no longer referred to as "accidents" but are now known as "crashes". This is because "accidents can be avoided". :rolleyes:

I will agree that ins. companies are the devil. Some of you may remember the story about my garage getteing ran thru by some gal. I won't bore you with all the details unless you want, but long story short, It took 3 months and me finally threatening to get a lawyer before I ever got my money back from her insurance company. I ended up rebuilding my garage out of pocket just because the drug their feet so much.

That being said, I think Progressive is spot on with their call in this case. A rock chip isn't your fault, but it's your responsibility to keep the equipment on your car maintained and in safe operating condition. Like was said before, it would be silly to expect an insurance company to cover an engine that blew up to lack of maint. on the owner's part.

The trick with ins. companies is just knowing how to get around their tricks. In this case, you should have called them and said, I got a chip, and am taking it in to get fixed. IF they said they'd send someone out to look (they won't), once you hang up, go outside and hit the windshield with the corner of a claw hammer to crack it. If not, take it to the glass shop and get it handled.

I've dealt with lots of insurance companies and so far Progressive has been by far the best. I'm with them now and have had excellent service anytime I've had a claim or needed info. They even handled getting my car fixed during the garage fiasco, and it was a great experience. They went after her insurance company, got my almost totalled car fixed, and even got me an extra couple grand to replace the audio equipment that was damaged. I had my car back looking good as new and extra cash in my pocket in less than two weeks. I wish they could have handled getting my garage fixed LOL

I took a defensive driving course like 6 months ago. The dude teaching it told me that they are no longer referred to as "accidents" but are now known as "crashes". This is because "accidents can be avoided". http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

They used to classify them as avoidable and unavoidable, but still accidents.

My policy has windshield coverage I think with no deductable. I've had them replaced in the quest from being sandblasted aka following too close :)

I love my car/homeowner insurance company - in fact that's what most of their customers say about them. 35 years there and I wouldn't entertain quitting them.

AMICA

So if you look at my situation in that frame, was I negligent for not being aware the wiper blade was getting old? Yes, this may be common sense for a 20yr old car but at the time I had a million other things other than the wipers to worry about(like a $4000 engine that wouldnt run correctly). Am I required to do a "pre-flight" checklist and keeps logs of it in the rare case my wiperblade splits and the wiper arm scratches the window?

Yeah, it kinda sucks and maybe in a pefrect world things might be a little fairer, but sadly, I guess if you want to make sure all your bases are covered with insurance you almost have to do pre flight checks LOL.

I just want to make it clear that while I may agree with the way the ins. co. is handling this, but it's because it's and expectable response from them, not because it's right.

Funny story...

I had a friend in MI who was running real bald tires when winter hit. He lost control on some ice and ditched his car which blew out 3 of the tires and messed his suspension up. He claimed it on his insurance, and they came back saying that they'd fix the suspension but wouldn't replace the tires, since the notes on the ticket said it was loss of control due to bald tires. He called them up and asked about it, saying something to the effect of you'll fix the damage the tires caused, but not replace the tires that caused it? They said good point, we'll get back to you. The next day they denied his claim fully since his bald tires that he's responsible for to keep in safe working order caused the accident. He ended up buying 4 new tires and $2000 in suspension repair all out of pocket.

They'll get over on ya any way they can, you just have to try and stay a step ahead of them and outwit them.

I have never had a good exsperience with an insurance company. IMHO there job is to restore my item that was damaged by there client to the condition it was in or better then, before there client hit it. In the 8 times ive had a vehical hit they have never done that. They won't even pay the body shop 1/4 of what doing that would cost.

honestly, i guess i wasnt aware of how the coverage was exactly worded. i agree they shouldnt have to pay for laziness. the way i was looking at it was that it was an "accident" but now i see its something i could have prevented. lesson learned. your right though burton, i should have smacked it with a hammer ;).

doesn anyone know if they are able to polish scratches out rather than replacing the entire thing? this is all i really wanted in the first place.

honestly, i guess i wasnt aware of how the coverage was exactly worded. i agree they shouldnt have to pay for laziness. the way i was looking at it was that it was an "accident" but now i see its something i could have prevented. lesson learned. your right though burton, i should have smacked it with a hammer ;).

doesn anyone know if they are able to polish scratches out rather than replacing the entire thing? this is all i really wanted in the first place.

There is a glass polish you can get from Eastwood that would prolly take care of those.

http://www.eastwood.com/glass-polishing-kit-pro.html

I manage a body shop and every thing that was said is true. They are all a%$ h#@$.

Most of the appraisers I know are okay but, the insurance companies they work for

will dictate to the appraisers how there estimates should be writen. It's unfortunate, because in the body shop business, the insurance companies need the shops more than the shops need them and yet they want to control how the vehicle gets repaired.

Which of course favors the insurance company and not the actual repair of the vehicle but, you already knew that.

You wanna know who the worst ones are???

without a doubt it has to be USAA ins . co. those fartknockers baulk on every friggen thing. right behind that id have to say nationwide and then geico.

if the scratch isnt too deep, it can be polished out. glass guys will be the ones to talk to.

Accidents CANNOT be avoided. That's why the guys with the big brains who investigate and reconstruct them call it what it is, a collision.

I have never had a BAD experience with an insurance company. Hit a deer with Allstate when I was 17 and the car was fixed in a week with no worries. Hit a dude from behind when I was 19 and Progressive paid to have his stuff fixed and I never saw an increase. Only ever got two speeding tickets but neither of those had an impact on rates. I once crushed the rocker panel on the SQ, about 8 years ago, when the jack failed and State Farm paid for it even though it was not insured at the time (homeowners covered it). I whacked a deer in the Aztek last January and Geico had it in and out of the shop with over $3k in damage repaired and no impact on rates. I've never had them deny a claim and I have never seen my rates go up for anything.