been getting different stories... what fuel pump do i need to run a 16g turbo?

i have the auto zone replacement for the stock fuel pump in my starion. i wanted to know if this will support my 16 g turbo before i install it, or do i really need to go get something that puts out more fuel?

i really am just waiting for some good advice. i dont wanna damage my engine.

*apollo*

i have the auto zone replacement for the stock fuel pump in my starion. i wanted to know if this will support my 16 g turbo before i install it, or do i really need to go get something that puts out more fuel?

i really am just waiting for some good advice. i dont wanna damage my engine.

*apollo*

I run a walbro 255 in mine. What do you have to control your air fuel ratios? I use GM mas and a maf translator right now on a 12a with Trilogy injectors. I'm sure my system can take a larger turbo with no problems.

Dad

You will need something to monitor the Air/fuel ratio. Get a wideband. As long as you don't lean out you should be fine. But like Dad said you should have something to control the AFR too because if you plan to run the boost pressure up you will likely lean out. What are the specs for the autozone pump?

What are the specs for the autozone pump?

Exactly, get the pump curve and look at its output at 40 psi. According to Corky Bell in Maximum Boost you will need 10 gallons per hour per 100 horsepower. 16G can support 250 or more with proper air fuel ratio control and other mods so you'll want 25 gallons per hour or (3.8 liters per gallon) 95 liters per hour at 40 psi. Of course, that's only one piece of the HP puzzle.

Scott

I run a walbro 255 in mine. What do you have to control your air fuel ratios? I use GM mas and a maf translator right now on a 12a with Trilogy injectors. I'm sure my system can take a larger turbo with no problems.

Dad

I wanted to say thank you and that i believe kelly" *DM" is a real south end of a north bound donkey and con man. he is the one who told me to buy a stock fuel pump for my 16g turbo. in fact he is the one who sold and installed my 16g turbo. when i went to pick up my car it ran like s***. he did not even bother to test my car before he had me pick it up. when i asked why he did this, and why he did a few other things that are totally ******** up he decided the best way to deal with it was talk s*** and 86 me. I cant even go into detail of the reasons he really is a south end of a north bound donkey but i am seriously ready to go out of my way to make sure he does not f*** over another person with a starion. I had to take out the 16g turbo and put back a stock turbo. thank god i had a extra one because he would not refund me for the 16g turbo or give me back my core. I am just thankful that i didnt lean out and really do damage to my engine. thanks *DM for dicking me around.

I have been to his house and hear him talk s*** on dad, mookee and tep like he is way better then all of them.

kelly is a little goober and is the most f*** annoying stoner faggit i have met in a long time. i put up with it because for some reason i thought he was the only one who had parts and knew how to work on a starion. It is thanks to him that i got more hands on experience with my starion. i actually had to reverse his work and figure out what was wrong with my car for myself. BTW he had my car for over a week and didnt bother to work on it. it took me 2 days to figure out a lot of my issues was a simple temp sensor.

*apollo*

You don't need a larger than OEM pump for a little 16g turbo. Not to disagree with you but unless you asked for all the rest of the car to be fixed just changing a pump and turbo won't fix a car with other issues like dirty injectors or some failing or out of adjustment sensors. There must be more to this story like the other issues with your car why it wouldn't work.

I read this that the car would not run right with the 16G but it ran ok with the stock 12A?

Dad

yeah the car ran good with the stock turbo and stock pump but didnt run well with the 16g turbo and stock pump.

*apollo*

i installed the walbro pump and the car runs great with the 16g turbo. the only question i have is what do you guys with the walbro pump do for a fuel screen or filter before the pump? should i try and stick the stock little cone lookin filter in the walbro pump? or buy a inline filter? or do i not even need one...

yeah the car ran good with the stock turbo and stock pump but didnt run well with the 16g turbo and stock pump.

*apollo*

i installed the walbro pump and the car runs great with the 16g turbo. the only question i have is what do you guys with the walbro pump do for a fuel screen or filter before the pump? should i try and stick the stock little cone lookin filter in the walbro pump? or buy a inline filter? or do i not even need one...

We used a universal I believe a 1/2'' fuel fitler made my Wix. The metric size one people normally use is discontinued. You cut your line leading to the fuel pump and put it in. If I remember, i'll try to shoot you a pic.

That cone filter is only for a stock pump. You already have a screen in the pickup tube in the tank no additional filter is necessary unless you just want another restriction. The filter under the hood will catch smaller particles and there are even screens in the throttlebody if that filter fails.

That cone filter is only for a stock pump. You already have a screen in the pickup tube in the tank no additional filter is necessary unless you just want another restriction. The filter under the hood will catch smaller particles and there are even screens in the throttlebody if that filter fails.

my concern was a filter to protect the pump? is there no real need for one?

my concern was a filter to protect the pump? is there no real need for one?

Like Coldscrip said, I have an inline filter just before the pump. If it gets restricted then in my opinion it's filtering out the dirt the in the tank filter missed. Just install the filter just under the small door in the trunk floor that way you can change it easier. Remove that in the line cone filter.

Dad

I know a guy that ran a large 16G at 18 PSI all the time on a stock pump (about 70,000 miles worth) and never had a problem with it. that being said, I'd never do that. It's too much risk. anything of stock flow or better is going to be better than stock just because it's new.

You can buy new junk though, some brands are crap. I can't say which ones because I don't really attention to that stuff, and some brand start out good and then "cheap out" for profit. I got a race pump 8 years ago (good for 800+ HP), and I'll never outgrow it. There are some brands that make one pump and market it to other brands, you can buy 4 different pumps and actualy get the same actual part.

i have a s16g running 20 psi with a gm 3 bar and translator,narrow band o2 gauge and a stock 1987 pump..no issues at all

O_o... what do you mean by "GM 3 bar" ?? you mean GM maf?

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...
The 16G is fine with STOCK PUMP AT STOCK BOOST! When you start turning it up you would most deff need a 255gph pump. Don't blame the guy that installed a part YOU wanted on your P.O.S. car and be pissed it doesn't perform the way you expected. south end of a north bound donkeys would do this all the time to me with beat dsms and zs. they would buy one part and expect just to instantly have a race car without supporting mods ,quality replacement parts,and maintnence because they expected me to do this s*** free.

Dont know if this pertains to Starquests, but I have heard of DSM guys running a larger gauge wire for the (stock) fuel pump.

I have to seen this mod. Had no idea why it was done, other than supplying cleaner, efficient current. But can't take much to run a lil pump. Its not a 1500 Watt Monoblock amp or anything!LOL!

Sporadic voltage drops at higher boosts/rpms on the thinner power wiring. Fine for stock-ish builds, but the wiring really shows its inability to supply sufficient current with a few upgrades that the stock pumps can handle.

It applies to SQ's as well, but nobody really talks about it anymore.

Edited by JustPaus_88TSi

An electrical conductor is a lot like a hose, the bigger it is, the more flow (potential power) you get out of it. Also like a hose, the more you try to flow out of it, the less efficent is becomes.

On a stock motor, the fuel demand is XXX. Now add some mods and start turning up the boost. That requires more fuel pressure to dump fuel into the highly pressurized mixing housing and more volume of fuel at that higher pressure because the injectors are open longer per cycle. Now fuel demand is XX,XXX. The fuel pump has to work harder in these circumstances, and thus so does the electrical supply it uses.

I ran 10 gage wiring to mine. That is good for 40 amp spikes and constant 25-30 amps. The pump itself draws about 15 at full load (racing pump).

I'd figure on at least 14 gage if you want to be sure you are OK on wiring, that's good for about 12-15 amps constant and 20 amp peaks. Stock is probably 16 gage. Rule of thumb, if the wire is warm at full load, it's at or past the limits. You can run it warm all day long, but you are not getting all the power to the pump that it needs and that causes the motor to run hotter because it runs a lower RPM. (less CEMF to cancel out some of the voltage).

The 16G is fine with STOCK PUMP AT STOCK BOOST! When you start turning it up you would most deff need a 255gph pump. Don't blame the guy that installed a part YOU wanted on your P.O.S. car and be pissed it doesn't perform the way you expected. south end of a north bound donkeys would do this all the time to me with beat dsms and zs. they would buy one part and expect just to instantly have a race car without supporting mods ,quality replacement parts,and maintnence because they expected me to do this s*** free.

does any1 know what this guy is talking about?

your information has not been helpful. who wants to buy a stock fuel pump then buy another fuel pump when they decide to turn up the boost.... please allow others who are here to help fill the forums.

thanks.

Steve, you will find that most folks here are very helpful and others are just keyboard commandoes that live to start trash talking on the internet. You, in time, will learn which ones to ignore.

I am still on a stock 12a turbo, but in preperation for a s16g, went ahead and upgraded my fuel pump and injectors and installed an AEM wideband and am working on a GM 3" mas and Maft and Apexi mod to support it. Before I throw a big turbo at it and turn up the boost, I want the supporting mods installed and working properly. Just my lil 2 cents I hope it all works out for you. Good luck,

BC_99