Got Pulled Over Tonite

MoltoMario

Well I was on my way to the local Monday Night car meet and the next thing I know is I see a cop in my rear view mirror. Since I noticed I kept the RPMs super low(Pretty much shifted at 1.5k) every shift. Well just as I pull into the parking lot where the car meet is at he flips his lights on and pulls me over, So I pull into one of the spaces, Turn the car off, keep my hands on the steering wheel and wait for him to come up to my car. When the cop came up he says he pulled me over for a loud exhaust ( I have a 3in all the way back from the Turbo with no cat to a pretty much straight threw hooker muffler) and then asks for my Drivers Lisce, Insurance and Reg. So I give it all to him and he says to hold on and he will be right back. A few moments later he comes back to the car and gives me all my info back and says" I know you have a modified exhaust but, Im not going to give you a ticket because Im pretty lenient about this kinda stuff, After all I was a kid once too". I just told him the exhaust was modified but it did still have a muffler. then he says but if "I pulled you over another cop will deff pull you over and write you up". Needless to say he let me off with a warning recommending me the change it :D . Ive really been meaning to because I don't like the way it sounds.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a new muffler? I like 101s and have been thinking about it but thats a straight threw muffler to. Problem is I know I should have the least amount of back presser but I really need something to tone the car down because Ive never liked the attention it has gotten me.

Funny thing is this same cop has pulled over 3 of the 5 of us in our group for little BS things such as modified exhausts or no front plates and has let us go every time. He seems to be a pretty cool guy and just has given us all warnings.

Just thought Id share my little story about being pulled over for the First time in the StarQuest and almost crapping myself praying that He wouldnt ask me to pop the hood :unsure:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you cant pass smog without a cat. I have a high flow catco Cat in after the DP. If you have something inline you can alway add a canister at the end with a turndown and it will be quiet.

with a cat and a can on the end of my exhaust its pretty reasonable until im honking about 3-4 k-

you cant pass smog without a cat. I have a high flow catco Cat in after the DP. If you have something inline you can alway add a canister at the end with a turndown and it will be quiet.

with a cat and a can on the end of my exhaust its pretty reasonable until im honking about 3-4 k-

I know I cant pass...I have a test pipe bolted in now and a Brand new cat that bolts in directly for smog. Simple and easy :D

Derek got an awesome muffler from austrailia its got a built in solenoid operated flap..so you can run it through the muffler or go straight pipe with a push of a switch..

EDIT: I found his post about it.. Its called a Varex Muffler

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.p...&hl=muffler

VIDEO:

Edited by BrazilBoy

i dont understand how you cant like the way the exhaust sounds.....i loved it.

if you think its loud, you shoulda heard it when i installed the 3 in and drove it home with no muffler.

Derek got an awesome muffler from austrailia its got a built in solenoid operated flap..so you can run it through the muffler or go straight pipe with a push of a switch..

VIDEO:

Yes I did,..

It has a butterfly valve in the middle of it, and when it's closed, it forces the exhaust through a holejust after the inlet, where it passes through 3 chambers, then back out a hole near the outlet. With the butterfly valve wide open, it's a straight thru muffler. Great thing is, it's infinitely adjustable anywhere in between

but it ended up costing me a lot more than I had hoped, almost half the cost was in shipping (it's not a light muffler), about $400 in the end (paid for the muffler, then later paid for the shipping)

BUT I did hold it up "closed" to the back of Technology's car at Nationals (he has nothing but a dynomax straight though on a full 3", and it drones BAD). He thought his car had shut off it got so quiet, haha. It actually seemed quieter than stock (which my car still is atm)

i need to install a cat on my 101 exhaust for inspection purposes. my question(and its a stupid one), i would like to keep the resonator that is already on the exhaust, but its in the stock cat placement. does it matter for flow purposes if the cat is before or after the resonator?

i need to install a cat on my 101 exhaust for inspection purposes. my question(and its a stupid one), i would like to keep the resonator that is already on the exhaust, but its in the stock cat placement. does it matter for flow purposes if the cat is before or after the resonator?

don't see why it would matter honestly - but that is a good question

I've been pulled over 3 times for "insufficient exhaust" on my car, each time it was at night. They don't bother me during the day for whatever reason.

The way I see it, I've only been ticketed once in 3 times being pulled over, and paying the fine was much cheaper then the time and parts it would cost me to "fix" the car.

Also, every time they pull me over, after they give me their little shpeel and/or ticket, they feel the need to tell me the car looks good and start asking me questions about it, arseholes.

...and I do NOT have a working speedo in the car and have never been pulled over for exceeding the posted speed, its always an "equipment violation"

What about just putting a silencer on the end? The would bring it down a notch. I have a 3" with the silencer is was good until I floor it(I forgot to put the little screw as I hit bout 4k rpm it flew out on the highway, hopefully no one got in their windshield)

You're not going to get a quiet exhaust unless you seriously restrict the flow with a muffler not designed for forced induction.

Your best bet is to go to a 2.5" exhaust, run a cat and get the largest resonator you can fit.

This is simply not true.

My car has a 2.5 exhaust, a 3" Carsound cat, and a MagnaFlow muffler. Ask anyone at Nationals, it is EERIE quiet.

And I don't think it is restrictive at all. My car certainly doesn't hurt for power, at least.

Your suggestion is close to what I have, but a quiet exhaust is a reality with these cars.

Tim

Cregg has a full 3" catless exhaust with an HKS Super Dragger muffler ( yes, one of THOSE )

The thing is insanely quiet, till you go WOT

Mine on the other hand, a GReddy Evo3 with the packing gone, will set off car alarms in parking lots just driving by them on the road :lol: I'll never forget coming a bend in the road once to find a cop already waiting for me to do a dB test on my car. I failed.

Edited by Fanta

i dont understand how you cant like the way the exhaust sounds.....i loved it.

if you think its loud, you shoulda heard it when i installed the 3 in and drove it home with no muffler.

Haha to be honest we all think the car is one of the worst sounding cars we have heard. Im wondering if the muffler is just shot now because I know its not doing much. The Drone is terrible on the freeway to lol. Either way I do need to do something to change it up

Of all the muflers ive ever had or friends have ever had from 4cyl to 8's . I think borala's quiet a car down the most. My friends 97 Camaro SS was super quiet with a borala unless you were all over it.

You know, my car came with a straight 2.5 exhaust but it has one of those fart can welded to the end, but surprisingly its quite. Quieter than other quests with no mufflers. I think the resonance chamber was welded shut in mine or something so its not loud at all.

VIDEO:

Why not just get a cut out? with the stock exhaust? I guess this muff has its perks but it seems a cost out would be cheaper.

Why not just get a cut out? with the stock exhaust? I guess this muff has its perks but it seems a cost out would be cheaper.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. And a shorter path if you just side dump it then.

If you want quiet, I would not suggest the Magnaflow 3" straight through: Link to Muffler

It can drone at certain speeds/rpms while cruising. Of course it's loud when you get on it with my straight through/no cat 3". Honestly the turbo is louder than the exhaust most of the time now tho B)

A dump with a more restrictive muff would be the best if you want very quiet w/out loss of flow.

i dont understand the attraction to a loud exhaust??? especially when it can involve getting pulled over or any sort of interaction with law enforcement. why not compromise with something that may be a little less "performance" and more on the "not draw alot of attention" side. magnaflow or dynomax makes resonably priced mufflers that sound deep but not loud.

i dont understand the attraction to a loud exhaust??? especially when it can involve getting pulled over or any sort of interaction with law enforcement. why not compromise with something that may be a little less "performance" and more on the "not draw alot of attention" side. magnaflow or dynomax makes resonably priced mufflers that sound deep but not loud.

I agree my HKS is mellow rumble when cruising and makes a nice sound when really punching it..But has never been to loud and I dig being able to hear the ocean crashing when I cruise the Hamakua coast..Can't do that with a smoke stack on back..