Lost my families Matriarch my beloved Grandmother

BrazilBoy

My grandmother has passed an hour ago...She aged 94 years and was head of our family since my Grandfather passed in 1991..

She was instrumental in my upbringing and her memory shall be honored..

She was born in a German speaking Jewish Village in Siberia in 1915...

She wed my grandfather at age 15, very common in those days..They moved to the black hills in Germany for a free farming act of 1932 which was land if developed was completely free to the farmers..

She saw the rise and fall of Nazi Facism,she saw how Hitler used beautiful speeches, Hitlers great skills as a orator and then after his power was established he sent many people she knew and loved to a gruesome death....

She was sparred as my grandfather "voluteered" to fight..if you said no then you were shot on sight for being a conspirator.. She raised 8 children 3 of her own and 5 of her cousin who was killed for being a jewish sympathyzer, she gave a jew a some bread.....Stealing potatos and what ever else she could find to keep them alive..

After WW2 she and my grandfather moved to southern Brazil..They lived in a small village and as my grandfather worked at the train yards she raised all 8 children in a dirt floor shack..My grandparents built a larger home within 5 years of being there all by thier own hands and labors..

In 1965 when she was 50 they moved to Cleveland,OH after the kids were raised and my mother stayed behind with my father...Hence myself being BrazilBoy and not ClevelandBoy

In Cleveland my grandparents worked 2 full time jobs bought 3 homes and paid them all off by 1970..

My grandparents retired in 1980...They made homemade wine and schnapps until the end..

My grandfather died on a snowy day in 1991...My grandmother maintained the properties until 2 years ago....

In her time she saw many hardships..her favorite sayings were "What ounce was shall be again"..."one knows not where one is going unless one learns where they came from first"

Although her education was as basic as reading and writing..She spoke 4 languages and was a savy business women...She had gained through her life a wellspring of wisdom..Her words carried on for many generations and the lives she saved along the way whos story will carry on because of her...

Now it is my time to teach my children what she taught me...to carry on where she left off..that is my duty and obligation...

I will miss her quick witt and cheesecake...She was our Matriarch...she was my Oma

Sorry for typing so much its almost 1am here and I needed to vent a little...

Thanks for reading this... Roberto

Edited by BrazilBoy

I'm sorry for your loss. My grandmother did alot of my raising to, and they sound very much alike. My grandparents came to Cleveland from Germany to. Wonder if they ever knew eachother.

roberto

sorry for your loss me and my families prayers will be with you and yours

death sucks

not too still your thread but my friends 3.5 month old little girl just died a cple days ago going to funeral today i really hate death again im sorry for your loss

Roberto, I am truly sorry to hear about your loss. I went through the same thing in February and you were very kind to me.

If there's anything you need, let me know. It is obvious from your story that she was a wonderful lady and you loved her very much. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Yes, I am sorry for your loss too.

If I am correct, the Black Hills of Germany is the mountain region of the black forest. I have been there and lived in Germany for 5 years. I vividly remember the concentration camps with fingernail marks on the gas chamber walls.

It sounds like your Grandmother was very careful with her words and actions to make it through that time alive. Those experiences taught her what is truly important and what is not, and she learned the most valuable lessons to pass on to family.

That is a very respectful life that will help as many generations as it is passed on to.

Roberto,

I am sorry for your loss. Your Gram sounds like she was an incredible lady and had a very interesting life.

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

She is in a better place now.

KEN

Roberto,

Your saddness is felt throughout this community. Your eulogy sounds fitting to beautiful person that you Grandmother was. Thank you for letting us know about her because her story is an insperational one. Best wishes to you and you family in this time of mourning, and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

sorry for you loss but keep in mind also how lucky you were to have known and love'd her,, personaly i had no grand parents i can recall ,other then vauge memorys of them when i was very young , but i miss them even if i never knew them .

now that i am a great grand father i can tell you this to her you were as her own children and love'd just as much

sorry for you loss but keep in mind also how lucky you were to have known and love'd her,, personaly i had no grand parents i can recall ,other then vauge memorys of them when i was very young , but i miss them even if i never knew them .

now that i am a great grand father i can tell you this to her you were as her own children and love'd just as much

Thank you Shelby what you posted means a lot to me...

Thanks again everyone for being there...you all are my extended family and I thank each and everyone here...This is truely a "family website"......

~Sincerely Roberto

Sorry hear that Roberto. We are brothers in mourning at this time and brothers SQ. Keep strong and remmber her for who she was and the great memories I'm sure you have with of her and with her. Take solace that she lived a full life and helped to shape you into the man you are today.

She's in a better place and be thank full for having had such a great person in your life.

God bless you and your family.