Newbee to the site: Got any ideas

mc23

Whats up guys im Matt, I am a new enthisuast for the starquest community. I have built and destroyed many DSMs (still own one more currently), owned a few mustangs and just recently sold my SC'd S2K. Just bought an 88 starquest 147,00 miles (engine rebuilt at 92,000 miles) last Friday to have something to drive back and forth to work. I have found some minor issues with the car such as, a brown tarnish around the TB, the steering is super sloppy, and after a recent rainy day I found water on the driverside floor board (the car was parked all day that day). I have ordered all new injector seals and TB rebuild kit to solve the brown tarnish around the TB area. If you guys have an input on any of this or some other things I should inspect/replace that would be great. I have checked some of the newbee sticky's and searched some info, just looking for other ways to improve this car and get it running the way it should. Thanks fellas!!! :thumbsup: Edited by mc23

There is a 'New owner tips' sticky in the StarQuest FAQs forum. Check that out.

It is good you want to fix it right before trying to mod a bunch of stuff. That is really the only way to start with one of these.

After you do the TB rebuild, watch for the injector tops for wet fuel, sometimes the injectors internal seals fail and they leak where the plastic housing meets the steel injector top. If this happens, they are junk.

These injectors are prone to various problems.

Feel free to ask lots of quesitons, if anyone gives you nubie crap, just ignore them like most of the rest of us do. There is a lot of combined knowledge here.

You will need a few specific tools to keep the car in order. They are, in no particular order:

- A hammer

- A 10mm endwrench

- A 12mm endwrench

- A screwdriver

- A blowtorch

- A dremel with cutoff wheels and grinding wheels

- A million dollars

- A jar of peanut butter to mix with the oil when it spins bearings

- A tub of cottage cheese

- A 12v LED with aligator clips

- A person locally who knows the cars from top to bottom

With that stuff you should be set.

I am located in Hampton,VA near Virginia Beach area. Ill make sure to keep the peanut butter close incase I spin a bearing. I'm sure that'll help with my muffler bearing issue too (jk).

Here a question for you guys, what's the most common serious problem with the starquest cars that I should know and be prepared for?

problem? singular? There are quite a few.

Headgaskets, fuel pumps, ignitors, injectors, injector clips, radio antenna, airdams, cooling fans/thermoswitches are probably the most common things that break or broken.

Edited by Sully

As was mentioned above, here is a link for new Starquesters in the Starquest FAQ Forum. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66449

It covers almost everything that you should initially check on your new Lady.

Here are a couple of links which give detailed procedures for repairing the most common problems with the Starquests. They even have color pictures illustrating each step.

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewforum.php?f=12

and

http://www.b2600turbo.com/

Don't forget to download the Starquest Shop Manual

and the Starquest's Parts Manual

http://www.starquestgarage.com/partsloc/co...rtsloc_nav.html

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Starquests.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Heads crack often. There are non-jet valve replacement heads which seem to be fine.

probably the most common problem I've ever heard of is the exhaust manifold either cracking and leaking or warping and breaking the rear studs on th head. If your manifold leaks at the back next to the head, you should take it off, cut between the runners and have it resurfaced. And get new studs, probably.

Heads crack often. There are non-jet valve replacement heads which seem to be fine.

probably the most common problem I've ever heard of is the exhaust manifold either cracking and leaking or warping and breaking the rear studs on th head. If your manifold leaks at the back next to the head, you should take it off, cut between the runners and have it resurfaced. And get new studs, probably.

ok cool. Thats the kind of answer I was looking for, I know that HG's, turbos, and all that other stuff are common items that wear out over time. Thanks technology!

ok cool. Thats the kind of answer I was looking for, I know that HG's, turbos, and all that other stuff are common items that wear out over time. Thanks technology!

Your sloppy steering is probably due to a bad rag joint going to your steering box. Dad has replacements for 100 bucks of so. Its a pain of a job if you don't have a lift, but possible with two peeps. I had to do one on my car. The pins in the steering column come out with magents by the way lol. Had to figure that out the hard way too.

• 2 weeks later...