Stupidity Poll

ernielist

So I am working on my quest right, replacing those jet valves with an elimination kit. I just aquired the car about a month or so ago. Anyhow I pull the valve cover and take a looksee and boy am I suprised that I could eat outta there its so clean (engine was rebuilt at 20k). So I do the elim kit and Im checking the valve lash and a few appear to outta whack. So I guess nobody adjusted em since the rebuilt lol. Any how I figured I would clean the K&N in the car and I pull it out and take a look. What do I find? Holes drilled into the bottom of the plastic part which holds the filter together. About 20 of em. I guess this was the prior owners idiot mod to increase airflow. All he succeded doing was bypassing the airfilter. What a doush. Anyhow I also noticed that the pipes from my turbo are crap and I need to replace them. Any suggestions on where I can find new piping. I don't need hard pipes I am looking for soft pipes with a grey color.

Anyhow I just wanted to poll the audience and see if anyone else found any other idiot mods done to their cars when they got em? I want to know just how deep the stupidity runs in america lol.

Mine had a switch half hidden behind the passenger console cover thing (that carpeted deal next to the radio). The switch was connected to the ignition and when "OFF" it wouldn't put power to the ignition. I learned this the hard way and spent about an hour the day after I got the car trying to figure out why all of a sudden it wouldn't even crank.

It also came with a CB radio installed, minus huge antenna.

how much are the softpipes worth? im buying hardpipes soon, i have the stock softpipes on my car. 75k original miles, i pulled the pipes yesterday, no oil in em and theyre clean. theyre still on the car, and i would only sell the upper (large c shaped) pipe and the OVCP. pm me if you want

Graham

My newest starion was modded by a leprechan on crack that just decided to start tearing it apart and putting things where it wanted to. It's the only way I can figure that it got so messed up. Theres a chainlink instead of a pin under my dash connecting the clutch pedal. (- gives you an idea what I'm dealing with.

Mine had a custom ventilation system installed on the block..........not like a Krankvent, but more like a hole knocked in it by a connecting rod.

It also had the rest of the rod custom welded to the crankshaft......to whatever level of heat that would be needed to turn the hardened crank a shade of purple.

Turborusty

The guy who owned my before me told what a great clean driver it was, and it did drive great despite the fact that it oiled the outside of the engine as much as it did the inside. Freakin Exxon Valdese.

BC_99

instead of taking care of the recalled ETACS in my 87, someone decided that the black wire was the cause of the drainage, or, maybe the yellow one, no wait, it was the blue one. They cut about 4 of them, and taped them back together, leaving one hanging.

also...pulled the a/c controller...same thing, a wire spliced and taped back together.

Pulled the stock stereo, a couple wires coming from who knows where, sitting there...laying on the radio house...no tape.

I think that was all of the random unhooked wires.

Well i once bought a car with no air filter, the guy said the turbo spooled faster that way...

Oh how about the short throw shifter (hacksaw to the stock shifter, he cut the threaded part off so you couldnt screw on a shifter)...

Any how I figured I would clean the K&N in the car and I pull it out and take a look. What do I find? Holes drilled into the bottom of the plastic part which holds the filter together. About 20 of em. I guess this was the prior owners idiot mod to increase airflow. All he succeded doing was bypassing the airfilter. What a douche.

Show pics of said "plastic part that holds the filter together"

Mine had a custom ventilation system installed on the block..........not like a Krankvent, but more like a hole knocked in it by a connecting rod.

It also had the rest of the rod custom welded to the crankshaft......to whatever level of heat that would be needed to turn the hardened crank a shade of purple.

Turborusty

LOL. But I bet you had no complaints with excessive case pressure.

Show pics of said "plastic part that holds the filter together"

Yeah me too.

I bought my 87 from a "mechanic" friend of mine back in 94 or 95. It had a habit of running hot so he wired a toggle switch up in the dash to kick the fans on. Only problem was...he wired them to run backwards. They were trying to push air out the front of the radiator. A little digging found the bottom of the radiator plugged full of something that wouldn't let the sensors get hot enough to kick the fans on. I swapped out the radiator, fans, wiring and all from a donor car, got rid of his jerry-rigging and all was fine. Some "mechanic".