fork lift intake

Bth of those are junk the runner flow is crap and you think two runners being twice as long as the other is an improvement? The point is to match the runners then match their pulses to the motor to get the air charge to move in just as the intake valve opens and those completely throw all logic out the window. Use the stock intake or get a magna

Actually, the casting is a bit deceiving. At least in the case of the caravan manifold, the runners only start where the #1&2 and #3&4 tubes meet each other. Otherwise the rest of the runner you see on the outside is part of the plenum. So in reality the runners are within about 1-2" of each other.

and here's a intake from a mitsu. forklift.

http://home.fuse.net/remo/fork1.jpg

I've never seen one of those before. Looks like a weber carb would bolt right up.

infact if you didnt say it was from a forklift I would have assumed it was an old NLA aftermarket intake made for a weber.

Looks way easier to use/mod than a caravan intake, if you were determined to use one. (not that I ever would. equal is better for forced induction IMO)

Edited by PDX87Starion

• 1 month later...
Bth of those are junk the runner flow is crap and you think two runners being twice as long as the other is an improvement? The point is to match the runners then match their pulses to the motor to get the air charge to move in just as the intake valve opens and those completely throw all logic out the window. Use the stock intake or get a magna

is you car tbi or mpi? Have you ever ran a caravan intake? How do you solve the problem of 2 & 3 running leaner then 1 & 4 with the stock intake? Edited by Killaphil

is you car tbi or mpi?

I have both actually.

Have you ever ran a caravan intake?

Yes on a carbureted motor where it belongs.

How do you solve the problem of 2 & 3 running leaner then 1 & 4 with the stock intake?

There isn't a 2/3 lean "problem" from the intake manifold.

You see someone with flow test data that proves otherwise? Did someone purposely build and test a 100% up to par stock running setup and use 4 02 sensors and 4 EGTs and actually test this? Why hell no they didn't. See you can't just push air through and intake and come up with conclusions that one flows better than the other. Even if a runner is a larger diameter it will flow more air so is that your only basis to support using it? Larger runners aren't the all around answer everyone wants or needs. Larger runners mean SLOWER moving air, tapered runners increase speed as they taper. Curves Vs straight flow at different rates. The point is to get the pressure pulses to get to the optimal point of pushing and drawing the air in when the valve opens at just the right time to get the best flowing intake for that given setup. If you just change the boost pressure that throws this all out the window and changes the pressure pulses so you are left with fewer things to worry about like the length of your runner for the way you want to run that motor, if you want to race I'd make them short if you want to pull a trailer I'd make them long. If you are a non forced induction motor then I'd go back to the part about the pressure pulse and find where that engine made the best torque for what you were selling it for and that's what I'd make. We aren't selling trailer pulling cars and we shouldn't be selling crap flowing horribly unequal length intake manifolds either. The air and fuel mix and flow as a liquid would, longer runners means more restriction thus if you compared two longer runners to two shorter runners in the same intake the two longer runners would flow like crap compared to the two shorter runners? Can you make some conclusions from that? Let me make it simple, you have two runners that flow slower and on top of that are twice as long than two others so two aren't getting nearly the same amount of flow at high rpms and high boost as the others. Understand more now?

Headgaskets blow on #2 and #3 more from the deck being low and out of spec for flatness more than any other reason but they didn't even mention that did they? What does a cylinder look like compared to another when its the one that blew and usually one blows into another instead of to the outside and its the ones that blow that "appear" they ran lean right? No its that they appear that way only AFTER the head gasket blew and coolant washes the cylinders. Its just easy to think that something with great big ported out holes is better and as long as its shiney someone will want it.

If air and fuel mixed flows as a liquid and you compared that to fuel that was properly atomized to mix with that air Vs fuel from DIRTY poorly spraying injectors that can't mix properly with air don't you think that effects the weight of that mix and how it flows? If the flow is effected so is how it burns in the cylinders. If you had a gas Vs a liquid and sprayed it out a stock manifold I'll admit right off that the liquid would try and all flow out #1 and #4 but in this case we aren't talking about unmetered and unrestricted flow just the path of least resistance but when you put that to cylinder head and have valves opening and closing the pulses take over and the flow with the equal runners will flow more evenly. The part about the poorly spraying injectors, this is the problem and fuel when it hits a wall or a "Y" and its not atomized will end up sticking to the intake manifold walls or being heavier not take that path of greater resistance. Do you see what I'm getting at?

The problem is not the stock intake manifold. Mitsubishi was making efi cars and was making carbureted cars and they chose this intake design over the carbureted intake but decided to not make the car mpi for some reason too.

People come to conclusions based on what they see before they think its natural and you have to start somewhere. Later on when more is learned conclusions will change from what they first thought but you don't hear much about that, its like admitting they were wrong. You hear that part all time right? "I was wrong"?

If you want to use a carbureted intake fine its your motor but don't claim its "better" than a stock intake because its not. Saying cylinders #2/#3 are lean and coming to the conclusion that its the design of the intake that CAUSED this is not true either.

If you've not seen the real proof that the blocks are all low in the middle and out of spec for flatness I can show you pictures and so can DAD. I used a stone and all the original deck blocks I've seen are low and out of spec and DAD did it in his machine shop and shaved just .001 off one and showed it too. Depending on your purpose you can either use a stone to flatten it or you can have it decked both will work but this is the reason headgaskets usually blow its not the intake or too much boost you just ask the next time you hear that what happened and if the block was decked or not. Doesn't matter what was done to the head its the BLOCK that is the problem.

Ok, I just measured the runner lengths on my caravan manifold. The inside runner is 4.25 and the outside is 4.75. Double the length? No, hardly. Despite how the casting looks, the runners start within a half inch of where they merge externally. The runner bore is also the same as a stock starion. Remember, the ports in the cylinders are the same size between the starion and the caravan. Mitsu didn't just make some huge runners and neck them down.

http://maxzillian.com/starion/caravanintake4.jpg

Edited by Maxzillian

I have both actually.

Yes on a carbureted motor where it belongs.

There isn't a 2/3 lean "problem" from the intake manifold.

You see someone with flow test data that proves otherwise? Did someone purposely build and test a 100% up to par stock running setup and use 4 02 sensors and 4 EGTs and actually test this? Why hell no they didn't. See you can't just push air through and intake and come up with conclusions that one flows better than the other. Even if a runner is a larger diameter it will flow more air so is that your only basis to support using it? Larger runners aren't the all around answer everyone wants or needs. Larger runners mean SLOWER moving air, tapered runners increase speed as they taper. Curves Vs straight flow at different rates. The point is to get the pressure pulses to get to the optimal point of pushing and drawing the air in when the valve opens at just the right time to get the best flowing intake for that given setup. If you just change the boost pressure that throws this all out the window and changes the pressure pulses so you are left with fewer things to worry about like the length of your runner for the way you want to run that motor, if you want to race I'd make them short if you want to pull a trailer I'd make them long. If you are a non forced induction motor then I'd go back to the part about the pressure pulse and find where that engine made the best torque for what you were selling it for and that's what I'd make. We aren't selling trailer pulling cars and we shouldn't be selling crap flowing horribly unequal length intake manifolds either. The air and fuel mix and flow as a liquid would, longer runners means more restriction thus if you compared two longer runners to two shorter runners in the same intake the two longer runners would flow like crap compared to the two shorter runners? Can you make some conclusions from that? Let me make it simple, you have two runners that flow slower and on top of that are twice as long than two others so two aren't getting nearly the same amount of flow at high rpms and high boost as the others. Understand more now?

Headgaskets blow on #2 and #3 more from the deck being low and out of spec for flatness more than any other reason but they didn't even mention that did they? What does a cylinder look like compared to another when its the one that blew and usually one blows into another instead of to the outside and its the ones that blow that "appear" they ran lean right? No its that they appear that way only AFTER the head gasket blew and coolant washes the cylinders. Its just easy to think that something with great big ported out holes is better and as long as its shiney someone will want it.

If air and fuel mixed flows as a liquid and you compared that to fuel that was properly atomized to mix with that air Vs fuel from DIRTY poorly spraying injectors that can't mix properly with air don't you think that effects the weight of that mix and how it flows? If the flow is effected so is how it burns in the cylinders. If you had a gas Vs a liquid and sprayed it out a stock manifold I'll admit right off that the liquid would try and all flow out #1 and #4 but in this case we aren't talking about unmetered and unrestricted flow just the path of least resistance but when you put that to cylinder head and have valves opening and closing the pulses take over and the flow with the equal runners will flow more evenly. The part about the poorly spraying injectors, this is the problem and fuel when it hits a wall or a "Y" and its not atomized will end up sticking to the intake manifold walls or being heavier not take that path of greater resistance. Do you see what I'm getting at?

The problem is not the stock intake manifold. Mitsubishi was making efi cars and was making carbureted cars and they chose this intake design over the carbureted intake but decided to not make the car mpi for some reason too.

People come to conclusions based on what they see before they think its natural and you have to start somewhere. Later on when more is learned conclusions will change from what they first thought but you don't hear much about that, its like admitting they were wrong. You hear that part all time right? "I was wrong"?

If you want to use a carbureted intake fine its your motor but don't claim its "better" than a stock intake because its not. Saying cylinders #2/#3 are lean and coming to the conclusion that its the design of the intake that CAUSED this is not true either.

If you've not seen the real proof that the blocks are all low in the middle and out of spec for flatness I can show you pictures and so can DAD. I used a stone and all the original deck blocks I've seen are low and out of spec and DAD did it in his machine shop and shaved just .001 off one and showed it too. Depending on your purpose you can either use a stone to flatten it or you can have it decked both will work but this is the reason headgaskets usually blow its not the intake or too much boost you just ask the next time you hear that what happened and if the block was decked or not. Doesn't matter what was done to the head its the BLOCK that is the problem.

Not only is my car faster with the caravan intake it is also more reliable. I dont wait until i blow a head gasket to see if im lean so coolant getting in to the cylinder is not the issue. The stock intake sends more fuel to 1&4 then 2&3 you can tell this by reading the plugs. the caravan intake does the same just not near as bad. You may have no problems with this in a near stock Tb car but if you start to make any real power you will have this problem. I AM NOT SOME NOOB I am telling you from experience. I never post here because every time you try to help by giving advice some one will argue with you. the people that usually try to argue with me on this drive a slow tb car or spay the car or run extra injectors. So what makes you the tb god? What have you done to your car that makes you feel that you should be giving performance advice?

Edited by Killaphil

He's the only person here that has ran the stock fuel system to its limits.

While I don't agree that the stock intake doesn't favor the outer two cylinders, Indiana is far from the type of person to blow smoke up anyones a**.

Until we can atomize a liquid while supplying 300-400-500cfm@15psi through the intake, nothing concrete will come out.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a caravan intake.

http://home.fuse.net/remo/caravan1.JPG

and here's a intake from a mitsu. forklift.

http://home.fuse.net/remo/fork1.jpg

Well then. It looks like I have the Forklift Intake manifold then. I bought my so-called Caravan Intake on Ebay, with an adapter plate attached to the manifold, so the TB would fit....and it ran great. Now it looks like I've been fooled...and it turns out to be a Forklift intake instead. Hahahaha. Oh well :) I am currently running a turbo intake manifold now...but the Forklift Intake seemed to work well.

• 2 weeks later...

is you car tbi or mpi? Have you ever ran a caravan intake? How do you solve the problem of 2 & 3 running leaner then 1 & 4 with the stock intake?

the problem of our stock engines running leaner in 2-3 are mostly because of the "y" shape of our stock intakes. Denser air (ala mix of air and atomized fuel) will track along the outer circumference of the flow path. This causes considerably more fuel to 1-4 and conciderably less in 2-3.

In short everything given a flow path will follow the path of least resistance. Hard turns are inherent restrictions.

Caravan intakes arent perfect nor is the forklift one above.. but they are indeed an improvement over the stock manifold.

He's the only person here that has ran the stock fuel system to its limits.

i ran consistant 13.6's and 13.7's with a completely stock fuel system; pump, injectors, intake (with the exception of the EGR), FP regulator and injectors.