• 2 months later...

has any one try'd wireing the magna dist to the 1g dsm system , both have the same trigger set up and 2 coils with waste fire,, and a TDC sensor built in to the dist , no i guess thats not right the magna uses 1 coil , but i don't see why the internals from the dsm dist can't be install'd into the magna dist

i got one of each i may look at that , but multicoil isn't of any real gain untill the ultra high rpms

The Magna distributor plug looks very much like the '91-94 DSM cam angle sensor plug. It might work. The stock and magna distributors spin the opposite direction as the CAS from a DSM does, so there's that. But maybe the way it's set up it wouldn't matter. I can possibly give it a try. Edited by Technology

• 1 month later...

http://www.mitsustyle.com/photopost/data/529/medium/IMAG0012.jpg

I'm in the right lane and I had a heck of a time launching and shifting. My transmission is super crappy, but at least the bearings in it are good. After I aired down the tires to about 20psi, the wheelhop stopped, but I think I was revving it out way too much and getting out of the peak power band. My first run was the fastest and I remember I was short shifting to get a feel for the track/car/everything.

My MPH is good, but ET is much higher than I was hoping for. I really wanted a 12. I need to get a 292 cam and get the power peak up near redline so I can keep revving. Or short shift it next time I go out. Or go get it retuned for more power. Only problem is I think the clutch has slipped twice. Once at a dyno day in June and at the track going from 3rd to 4th, I sortof powershifted and the RPM's dipped a bit while my foot was off the pedal.

So, I hate issues. I bought the clutch so it wouldn't slip, and it was expensive. The last thing i want is for it to not work when I need it to work.

Edited by Technology

revvin aint where these motors shine (or breathe best/ are more efficient). Look at the powerful 2.6s on the dyno page. Hi revs will only take you further away from your tq peak

looks like more than enough power for solid 12s.

A 2.27 60ft would haunt me more than 'notion', that you "need" more power.... which certainly not gonna help your 60 ft any.

I'd concentrate on being more efficient by mastering whatever power you have. Remember the Tainters.... Q..... Rollo ?

3000+ pound turbo ford 2.3 sohc twisting over 500+ ft-lbs, gone 10s on "reasonable cost" spec III clutches.

did ya broke it in 'properly' ? If so, I'd lean on them to "get it right". They can

IIRC, Tainters 1st spec exploded. The revised cluth did get the job done for them tho

revvin aint where these motors shine (or breathe best/ are more efficient). Look at the powerful 2.6s on the dyno page. Hi revs will only take you further away from your tq peak

looks like more than enough power for solid 12s.

A 2.27 60ft would haunt me more than 'notion', that you "need" more power.... which certainly not gonna help your 60 ft any.

I'd concentrate on being more efficient by mastering whatever power you have. Remember the Tainters.... Q..... Rollo ?

3000+ pound turbo ford 2.3 sohc twisting over 500+ ft-lbs, gone 10s on "reasonable cost" spec III clutches.

did ya broke it in 'properly' ? If so, I'd lean on them to "get it right". They can

IIRC, Tainters 1st spec exploded. The revised cluth did get the job done for them tho

Back in the olden days, lol wow it was such a long time ago now, circa 2003....I do remember Tainters having a Spec clutch letting go on them.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice car and numbers... To answer your question about the slicks.. NO, these cars can take an tail whoopin, at least the last two that I put my slicks on. I would try an launch at 5,000 rpm on 11 psi (tire) 21 psi boost and after the hook I was around 3,500 ish, If you slip it just alittle bit, not much, you will get better results but harder on the clutch. I use a Unorthadox 11 lbs. flywheel and a South Bend 6 puck clutch. Broken some U joints, and tore up some gears, but the half shafts stayed strong. Somebody got a shot of me launchin at the DSM shootout last year, Il see if I can find it for ya.

You think using slicks would break the half shafts or rear of the transmission with a solid launch? That's what I'm afraid of. It would be fun to roll off the line and still do an 11. Mondo power.

Slick actually put less shock on the drive train due to the side wall flex and twist and greatly reduce or eliminate wheel hop which is a good thing. Highly boosted snapped several axels on i think nitto dr's? (unsprung puck clutch). When we switched to slicks he finally started making full passes. He talks about it near the end of his big thread.

And you have to have slicks to put that kind of power to the track. The two best tires i have run are MT et's and Hoosier 225/50/16 dr, which is really more of a slick. For my current power level i like the stock diameter of the Hoosiers. More option in a 15" tire.

Transmissions, my advice is to stock pile them or go with the r154. The t56 would require a rear ratio swap in my opinion. But what is another another handful of bills. :lol:

Great #'s by the way.

woohoo 400 hp club...5 years ago plus...

it was a great, but i'm over it. I wish you happiness in your G54Bomb trials and Tribulations.

Technology is right. You are selling/sold your old 400hp MPI set up right? Did it blow up? is that why you sold it? If not then you can't comment on the G54Bomb cause yours never blew.

Did you even throw enough at it for it to blow? Can you? Just asking.

Easy there, Debbie Downer! I didn't come into your build thread and say good luck with your POS. If you want to hate, do it in the B.S. Section.

no wait you got me wrong, i was adding to stuff from pages back, not trashing you man. Sorry about that i should have directed that to a particular person, but i wont now since i don't want to dig myself a hole here, and Lionbull yes i did sell the engine and all, No it did not blow up, no i did not blow up after it was built, yes the first engine )original to the car) exploded in glory.

r154 is a stout/bulky heavy gearbox. Shifts like s*** too.

if 3000+ pound 500+ ft-lb tq 2.3sohc fords r getting by on T5s, don't see why they wouldn't work as well for us

They run similar mid 3.xx:1 diff gear also

been say that for a while now but people fought me down and said the t56 is better for our cars. Like people here make enough power/torque to break a t5 LOL. One guy even said the stock tranny is stronger than the t5 lol

r154 is a stout/bulky heavy gearbox. Shifts like s*** too.

if 3000+ pound 500+ ft-lb tq 2.3sohc fords r getting by on T5s, don't see why they wouldn't work as well for us

They run similar mid 3.xx:1 diff gear also

Also for the supra tranny you need to use the supra clutch disc which tends to shatter.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll let you know when the stock trans breaks during a pull. I've been shifting pretty harshly lately when racing, and a friend noted it's about 3 seconds between boost with my slow shifts. But the trans won't shift any faster, it just grinds.

I'll let you know when the stock trans breaks during a pull. I've been shifting pretty harshly lately when racing, and a friend noted it's about 3 seconds between boost with my slow shifts. But the trans won't shift any faster, it just grinds.

I've been running the 19mm tranny plate from plh. No idea if it "really" helps, but I figure it can't hurt. I'm not pushing near the power you are and I've broke axles. They say tranny is the weak point? I differ.

I think there are internal differences between the 87-older and 88-newer trannies. Bearings in particular. I've gotten on it a little bit in 5th with this 88 and no new noises. The 87 went bye bye after a pull in 5th. Also the 4 bolt axles are weaker, I guess. Glad I have an 88, lol.

I think there are internal differences between the 87-older and 88-newer trannies. Bearings in particular. I've gotten on it a little bit in 5th with this 88 and no new noises. The 87 went bye bye after a pull in 5th. Also the 4 bolt axles are weaker, I guess. Glad I have an 88, lol.

I'm currently running the non IC axles modded to fit. Yeah they're gonna eventually snap. But regardless with the '86 tranny I really can't complain. Taken several 5th gear 18+ psi pulls and as much as I expect catastrophe thank the Gods it hasn't grenaded ... Yet :)

Installing and degreeing my 292 regrind by Schneider.

Here is the 274h ready to come out.

http://www.mitsustyle.com/photopost/data/529/medium/DSC03237.JPG

The two cams next to each other. I can tell the difference mainly by looking at the base circle, which on the 292 is level with the main shaft of the cam.

http://www.mitsustyle.com/photopost/data/529/medium/DSC03238.JPG

Got the new adjustable cam gear installed with a little trouble, but no problems. Thanks Derek! Just remember, one row of teeth at a time and it's not so bad.

http://www.mitsustyle.com/photopost/data/529/medium/DSC03241.JPG

And the new cam modified to drive the CAS. My welds are really crappy compared to the other ones, which I payed a guy to do with a TIG welder. :)

http://www.mitsustyle.com/photopost/data/529/medium/DSC03242.JPG

I will be finishing up the degreeing this week. No hardware stores open today to make a proper mount for the degree wheel. Also need to make a piston stop.

Here's a friend of my landlord laying down a nice set of black strips somewhere in Mexico.

http://www.mitsustyle.com/photopost/data/529/medium/DSC03244.JPG